Southern or northern exposure for metal building - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Southern or northern exposure for metal building

I'm looking at erecting a workshop/garage using a post frame building covered with metal siding and R-5 insulation board. It will be attached to an existing building which is 4 feet taller, attached on the gable end. I have a choice of putting it on either the north side (with garage door on the east side) or the south side (with the garage door on the south side) of my existing building. If I put it on the south side, when I open the door in the summer I will get prevailing southwest winds for ventilation. However, it has also been pointed out to me that the summer sun will also heat the building more on the south side, while that end would be shaded by the existing building if I put it on the north side.

So, I'm not sure which factor weighs more heavily, the extra breeze in the summer or the shade from the existing building. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 06:20 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I see you are in KC. I would go on the South. In the hottest months of summer, the sun will actually beat down more on the North side than the South side. The prevailing wind is from the South will tend to cool the building more at night and you will start the day with a cooler building. And the breeze (when it is not wind) will be more comforting. But the South sun in the winter, plus the sheltering building will block out those strong, cold North winds you get in the winter and that is a big plus.

Trees
Old 06-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Trees has a good point and if you can get ventilation up high that will help in the summer..

Sam
Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:

Thank you both for your helpful comments.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
I see you are in KC. I would go on the South. In the hottest months of summer, the sun will actually beat down more on the North side than the South side.

I'm sorry, when did the Earth's axis move? I must have missed it.

In the northern hemisphere, the sun will ALWAYS be stronger on the south side of the building. The bigger consideration should be the cold wind of a northern exposure in winter. Put it on the south side.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.