Southern Polyurethanes Inc. SPI - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 07:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Southern Polyurethanes Inc. SPI

After reading excellent reviews for SPI products and speaking with Barry K on the phone, I decided to use SPI epoxy, Turbo 2K, and Universal Clear on my 1934 Chevy restoration. I have used their epoxy a good bit and I like it a lot. It is very durable, it covers well, and does not burn back a lot when welding.

Now it is time to get my rod painted. Since it is the dead of winter and I do not have the facilities, or the experience, I decided to have a professional do the job. The guy I chose normally uses PPG, but agreed to try the SPI. After using the epoxy he liked it. However, he is worried about the Turbo 2k. He says it seems thinner than the PPG high build, it does not build as much, and it is going on so dry that it is almost immediately dry to the touch. My guess is that he is using a 1.4 tip even though the tech. sheet recommends a 1.5 - 2.0. Has anyone else attempted to spray turbo 2k though a 1.4 tip? Is this the problem? He is using the SLOW reducer.

Due to his bad experience with the Turbo, he is questioning using the Universal Clear. Any suggestions?

As I told the gentleman doing the work for me, I am not using SPI products to cut costs. I want to use the best materials available on my car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Last photo:

Never used SPI Turbo 2K, but their Universal Clear is basically PPG DCU2002. Tell your paint guy that he will love the Universal Clear, or have him give Barry a call.

Vince
Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

the turbo will be a bit thinner than the PPG high build..if he wants a high build product then go with the SPI high build..High build is 8000-1 and turbo is 6300-1
the turbo is very fast drying for those who like that kind of product..You will love the universal clear as I have found it to be the one clear that i can shoot gun done..

Personally I like the high build for filling small scratches as I use it for that..

Also make sure that he has a tech manual from SPI and is using the reccomended tip sizes as I have found that some of them have not read the manual and have issues
because of that..

Sam
Old 02-17-2010, 08:26 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i have not had any problem with the turbo. i shoot it with a 1.3 and it does fine. goes on wet and builds just fine.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Shine,

If you can get the Turbo to flow though a 1.3 tip, then what do you think would cause the Turbo to go on so dry? How much do you reduce it? My painter says that his gun sprays PPG high build with no problem and that it is thicker than the SPI Turbo, so he doesn't understand why he would need a bigger tip.

Just a little background....I'm using the Turbo 2k as per SPI recommendations because I am painting the car black. I would have chosen the regular SPI high build, but it does not come in black, and I was trying to keep everything black the whole way through.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:20 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

too much pressure , gun adjustment , maybe a small chunk of primer in the nozzle . hard to say. if i shoot it with my iwata it really gets wet. i have an old sfg sharps for primer. have a 1.3 and a 1.4 . primer is all they are good for. it's probably best to shoot through a 1.4 but either seem to work.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Their clear is top notch ....He'll love it.... I do question his ability as a "good painter" if he cant figure out this simple problem on his own though...too much air and not enough fluid....any primer will do that...sounds like a syphon gun probem.but if its a gravity gun its even easier to fix...
Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I talked to Barry from SPI on the phone about this too. He said basically the same thing, the gun isnt set up right or else it isn't being reduced according to the spec. sheet. I just have a hard time believing that my painter hasn't tried these things. From what I have seen and heard from others, he is the best in my area. I just think he is reluctant to use a brand of paint that he knows very little about.

The gun being used is from Harbor Freight...HVLP 1.4 tip.

I have yet to hear from anyone that has used an SPI product and did not think it was the best they have ever used.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT DISAGREES WITH THIS???
Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

if he's using one of those cheap worthless purple guns then your s o l . tell him to buy a real gun .
Old 02-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Thanks Shine, I was about to post a similar reply. Best in the area?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:37 PM

The epoxy is the best I've ever used at any price ,as for the other produts Their clear stands out there with the best...its the price the makes it the best bang for your buck.... but for the price their other primers are very good...You cant go wrong with SPI ...It's their hot line puts them over the top as a company ...I've never seen anything like it...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
Thanks Shine, I was about to post a similar reply. Best in the area?
Just off the top of my head ,I'd say theres about ...oh ...no ,self respecting painters that will use those guns even for primer...
Old 02-19-2010, 05:11 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

I would use gun with 1.8 tip for primer-filler aka primer surfacer
Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Just off the top of my head ,I'd say theres about ...oh ...no ,self respecting painters that will use those guns even for primer...
I've used one of their guns once. A buddy of mine bought a skid of paint guns at an auction a couple years ago. He as selling them to his friends for 10.00 each, he must consider me better than a friend, I got mine for nothing when I helped him load a car for a customer. I used it for some surfacer and it made a big cloud in my shop. I gave it to another friend who promptly put it to use in his trash can.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:32 PM

Dont Throw them out !!! you can still use them !!! place them under the tire of a car to keep it from Rolling backwards.....They're great!!!!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.