Soybean body parts. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 05:34 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Soybean body parts.

Soybeans and Automobiles: From Henry Ford to Biodiesel
In the ’30s and early ’40s Henry Ford was determined to make bodies and other car parts from soybean phenolic resin. By 1935 he was already growing 12,000 acres of soybeans. He planned to use one million bushels of soybeans per year for various automotive parts and liquids.

To prove his point, in 1941 he held a press conference where he slammed a fire axe into the body of a Ford made of soybeans, causing no apparent damage. He then rewarded the press corps with a soybean lunch, including soybean soup, soybean steak, soybean coffee, soybean milk and apple pie with a crust made from soybeans.

So what happened to Henry Ford’s soybean plans? By the time World War II was over, Henry Ford was losing control of the business, and his soybean plans were forgotten.

Today, soybeans are being used to produce biodiesel, which according to studies done by the University of Minnesota and St. Olafs College, is much more efficient to produce than corn based ethanol. The studies found that ethanol generates only 25% more energy than required for its production, where biodiesel generates 93% more energy.

One small problem. According to a study by the National Academy of Sciences, if all American corn and soybean production were dedicated to biofuels, they would only satisfy 12% of gasoline and 6% of diesel demand.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 03:49 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Soybeans and Automobiles: From Henry Ford to Biodiesel
In the ’30s and early ’40s Henry Ford was determined to make bodies and other car parts from soybean phenolic resin. By 1935 he was already growing 12,000 acres of soybeans. He planned to use one million bushels of soybeans per year for various automotive parts and liquids.

To prove his point, in 1941 he held a press conference where he slammed a fire axe into the body of a Ford made of soybeans, causing no apparent damage. He then rewarded the press corps with a soybean lunch, including soybean soup, soybean steak, soybean coffee, soybean milk and apple pie with a crust made from soybeans.

So what happened to Henry Ford’s soybean plans? By the time World War II was over, Henry Ford was losing control of the business, and his soybean plans were forgotten.

Today, soybeans are being used to produce biodiesel, which according to studies done by the University of Minnesota and St. Olafs College, is much more efficient to produce than corn based ethanol. The studies found that ethanol generates only 25% more energy than required for its production, where biodiesel generates 93% more energy.

One small problem. According to a study by the National Academy of Sciences, if all American corn and soybean production were dedicated to biofuels, they would only satisfy 12% of gasoline and 6% of diesel demand.

Interesting history.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Credit to none other than the one... the only... Engine Builder 'mag'!!!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

His plans died because food you eat.. and the parts lasting mostlikely was an issue..
ethnol and bio diesel are a scams. nothing more nothing less..
no way enthol gives you cleaner air when you burn more gallons of fuel to go the same amount of miles as non ethnol mixed fuel.. it's not cleaner, it's not saving energy and neither is the bio fuel crap. that is destroying older trucks and home heating units.. it killed my home heater in short order under 24 months.. what a racket.. force fuels on people and then force them to buy new equipment as the fuel killed the perfectly fine older one.. the crap in the chimney from this bio junk is unreal.. cleaner my butt.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Yep, I am no brilliant scholar but it sure hit me quick when I learned that your fuel economy went down, huh? It's less polluting per gallon, but you burn more? HUH?

Brian
Old 10-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Very true guys...the electric car? If every vehicle was electric, we would have enough electrical power to have about 5% of the vehicles on the road...and that's if we stopped using electricity for everything else. So it is a load of crap and what does crap do...it becomes fertilizer.

Renewables are the going to be the wave the future but, until the prices of these renewables comes into line with current energy sources, they won't succeed.

Just my opinion.

Ray
Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
When I heard the gubberment was giving tax credits to those who bought fuel efficient cars I thought, how about give credit to those who CHOSE to live close to their work so they don't have to drive the friggin thing so far! HUH? How's that for an idea, hmmm. I can drive my Gran Sport the 5.4 miles to work everyday with my 401 pollution puking V8 and getting 15 miles to the gallon and not use anywhere near the fuel my co-worker does driving his Honda the 90 miles EACH WAY that he does, and pollute less too! I drive for over a week on what he burns in one day!

Why the heck don't I get a break for CHOOSING to not drive that far? Instead they get a break for choosing a car that gets better gas mileage, that just makes no sense to me!

Brian
Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
When I heard the gubberment was giving tax credits to those who bought fuel efficient cars I thought, how about give credit to those who CHOSE to live close to their work so they don't have to drive the friggin thing so far! HUH? How's that for an idea, hmmm. I can drive my Gran Sport the 5.4 miles to work everyday with my 401 pollution puking V8 and getting 15 miles to the gallon and not use anywhere near the fuel my co-worker does driving his Honda the 90 miles EACH WAY that he does, and pollute less too! I drive for over a week on what he burns in one day!

Why the heck don't I get a break for CHOOSING to not drive that far? Instead they get a break for choosing a car that gets better gas mileage, that just makes no sense to me!

Brian
Let alone Brian, the cost, energy requirements and pollution of recycling an older vehicle to get the raw materials to build the new one...that's never taken into consideration. Not that I would for one minute suggest recycling your Buick or any other classic...now recycling a Honda Civic...well....

Ray
Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

" Instead they get a break for choosing a car that gets better gas mileage, that just makes no sense to me! "

unless you live in Oregon where they are going to back-charge electrics and hybrids by mile for road-use tax they're not paying at the pump. Yes, other states are seriously looking into this also.

"Renewables are the going to be the wave the future but,..."

the future is here! China has scrubbers on their coal-fired power plants to remove CO2. They pump CO2 into the water on their algae farms, harvest the algae every 2 hours and press in out for bio-diesel & nano-cellulose fibers.

the original bio-diesel was called 'farmer's fuel' and did not require toxic chems to manufacture, no sulfur compounds and 'carbon-neutral'

nano-cellulose will be the next big thing, expect lots of auto parts made with it, stronger than steel, lighter than aluminum, stiffer than Kevlar and injection moldable.

now to add bio-diesel to a Tesla blade-less turbine running 'GEET' technology intake system (100lbs - 200mpg - 300bhp + spotless exhaust)
The Following User Says Thank You to oldBodyman For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Very interesting read Oldbodyman. Thanks for posting. Yes, everybody else posted something interesting but I'm curious about what he posted.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Hi there,
you can find bio-diesel at www.dieselsecret.com
you can find GEET at youtube.com, just type 'geet fuel' in the search box
you can find tesla turbine at youtube.com just type 'tesla turbine' in the search box. These are all school kids playing with it.

the first site I found Tesla's turbine is no longer up but I did save the pages somewhere, I'll need to hunt them down, they do have the re-prints from the New York Times of the day. What I did find so far:

""When Tesla informed a friend in 1902 that he was working on an engine project, he declared he would produce an engine so small, simple and powerful that it would be a ''powerhouse in a hat.'' The first model, which he made about 1906, fulfilled this promise. It was small enough to fit into the dome of a derby hat, measured a little more than six inches in its largest dimension, and developed thirty horsepower. The power-producing performance of this little engine vastly exceeded that of every known kind of prime mover in use at that time.

The engine weighed a little less than ten pounds. Its output was therefore three horsepower per pound. The rotor weighed only a pound and a half, and its light weight and high power yield gave Tesla a slogan which he used on his letterheads and envelopes--''Twenty horsepower per pound.'' There was nothing new, of course, in the basic idea of obtaining circular motion directly from a stream of moving fluid. Windmills and water wheels, devices as old as history, performed this feat. Hero, the Alexandrian writer, about 200 bc, described, but he did not invent, the first turbine. It consisted of a hollow sphere of metal mounted on an axle, with two tubes sticking out of the sphere at a tangent to its surface. When water was placed in the sphere and the device was suspended in a fire, the reaction of the steam coming out of the tubes caused the device to rotate."

"It was this friction which Tesla now utilized in his turbine. A jet of steam rushing at high velocity between disks with a very small distance separating them was slowed down by the friction--but the disks, being capable of rotation, moved with increasing velocity until it was almost equal to that of the steam. In addition to the friction factor, there exists a peculiar attraction between gases and metal surfaces; and this made it possible for the moving steam to grip the metal of the disks more effectively and drag them around at high velocities. The first model which Tesla made in 1906 had twelve disks five inches in diameter. It was operated by compressed air, instead of steam, and attained a speed of 20,000 revolutions per minute. It was Tesla's intention eventually to use oil as fuel, burning it in a nozzle and taking advantage of the tremendous increase in volume, in the change from a liquid to burned highly expanded gases, to turn the rotor. This would eliminate the use of boilers for generating steam and give the direct process proportional increased efficiency.

Mr. Czito's description of the first model is as follows: "The rotor consisted of a stack of very thin disks six inches in diameter, made of German silver. The disks were one thirty-second of an inch thick and were separated by spacers of the same metal and same thickness but of much smaller diameter which were cut in the form of a cross with a circular center section. The extended arms served as ribs to brace the disks...There were eight disks and the edgewise face of the stack was only one-half inch across. They were mounted on the center of a shaft about six inches long. The shaft was nearly an inch in diameter in the mid section and was tapered in steps to less than half an inch at the ends. The rotor was set in a casing made in four parts bolted together.

The circular chamber where the rotor turned was accurately machined to allow a clearance of one sixty-fourth of an inch between the casing and the face of the rotor. Mr. Tesla desired an almost touching fit between the rotor face and the casing when the latter was turning. The large clearance was necessary because the rotor attained tremendously high speeds, averaging 35,000 revolutions per minute. At this speed the centrifugal force generated by the turning movement was so great it appreciably stretched the metal in the rotating disks. Their diameter when turning at top speed was one thirty-second of an inch greater than when they were standing still." A larger model was built by Tesla in 1910. It had disks twelve inches in diameter, and with a speed of 10,000 revolutions per minute it developed 100 horsepower, indicating a greatly improved efficiency over the first model. It developed more than three times as much power at half the speed. During the following year, 1911, still further improvements were made. The disks were reduced to a diameter of 9.75 inches and the speed of operation was cut down by ten per cent, to 9,000 revolutions per minute--and the power output increased by ten per cent, to 110 horsepower!"

Last edited by oldBodyman; 10-05-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to oldBodyman For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (10-05-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.