spacer for a 650cfm carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

spacer for a 650cfm carb

I have a 327 bored .030 over with 650cfm edlebrock carb and performer intake and a mild rv cam. It runs great, but when I romp on it, it gets a little sluggage. The kick down switch is working fine. Do I need a 1 inch spacer under the carb to get more hp? I have nothing now. thanks for the feed back

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestalyn
It runs great, but when I romp on it, it gets a little sluggage
More detail please. What's the fuel pressure when you romp it?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

Im sorry I don't have a gauge hooked up to it. I can put one on. It feels like i have to give it to much throttle for it move. Its in a 69 chevy impala. does that help?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Im sorry I don't have a gauge hooked up to it. I can put one on. It feels like i have to give it to much throttle for it move. Its in a 69 chevy impala. does that help?
No.
Are you talking about from a stop or while cruising and gettin' on it? Is this problem new or has it been doing this for a while? Do you smell gas? Have you pulled the spark plugs to inspect them for color?
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

from the take off. It won't build power till about 3000rpm. the enging has 1000 miles on it. it's fairly rebuilt. everything is new in it. the spark plugs are on the whiteish color. Its been doing that since i put it in 1000 miles ago. I smell gas only on air filter. I sent a picture of my enging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6969.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	59889  
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
the spark plugs are on the whiteish color.
Well, that's at least part of the problem, the motor is lean.
It is imperative that you learn how to tune the carburetor. That's where all those undeserved names come from, is fellows who have no idea how to tune a carb and then call it names because it won't do what they want it to. Names like Edelbroke and Quadrajunk were started by those who lack the intelligence to tune the units "by the numbers", so it's easier to call them names. The Edelbrock design was taken from the old Carter AFB design, a carburetor that has enjoyed long success and used to be installed as original equipment on many makes of new cars and trucks. You can dial it in as close as a gnat's eyebrow if you just pay attention to the basics.....
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

If there is some reason that you cannot absolutely and completely understand this tuning information provided by Edelbrock, then email or telephone the techs at Edelbrock and have them explain it to you. Again, it is imperative that you learn how to tune this unit. Now get busy.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_.../contact.shtml

Also, pay particular attention to the recommended fuel pressure. Tee off at the carb inlet and run a line up to the cowl and mount a temporary mechanical fuel pressure gauge (with tie wraps or duct tape or whatever, it's only temporary until you get the pressure nailed down) on the cowl of the car in front of the windshield so that you can monitor fuel pressure while you drive. Too little pressure is as bad as too much pressure. Use a liquid-filled, 0-15 psi unit, mechanical.

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-18-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 PM

Last photo:

thank you so much I will do that tommow. any suggestion on what spacer i should get?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

The only thing I can tell you as of now is to see if a Carb spacer
will fit on your intake. Some Carb/intake setups wont allow a
One inch spacer without wasting a bunch of useless time and money.
The 4 hole Carb gasket is for stock intakes, since you have an aftermarket
chrome intake you want one that's open. Thicker is usually better.
the rest is up to you or someone else I guess. Good luck
Old 11-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
thank you so much I will do that tommow. any suggestion on what spacer i should get?
Forget the spacer for now. They're for fine tuning a combination and you never know what will work best, so you have to try several different combinations of closed, open and various thicknesses. Get the tune correct on the carb before you worry about anything else.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

ok thank you very much
Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
ok thank you very much
I would suggest you be sure the timing curve is acceptable before tuning the carb any differently that how it came out of the box. So I would recommend you baseline the carb back to its original specs, then proceed to set up the timing curve. After the timing is dialed in you can proceed to fine tune the carb.

Supply any/all of the following info and we can take care of the timing and lend some assistance w/the carb tuning:

type of distributor- did you convert from points to an HEI? If so did you wire it correctly? The HEI needs to be wired w/o using the original resistor wire that the old points ignition used.
type/size of engine. You've said it's a 327 SBC.
camshaft specs (duration, LSA especially) or at least the make/part number. Just saying "mild RV" doesn't really tell the whole story. If that's all you know or can find out about it, the vacuum at idle as well as the idle "quality" (i.e. does it 'lope' or is it smooth) will help determine how radical it is.
intake type (single or dual plane). I see you have a dual plane and the carb is a 650 Eddy.
the timing (initial, total, "all in by" RPM, vacuum advance or no, how much vac. adv. supplies, hooked to manifold or ported vacuum)
the CR. Do you know if the pistons are flat top, or ? What is the casting number of the heads?
engine vacuum at idle
current carb specs (jet size, step up spring color, rod size, accelerator pump linkage hole setting, turns on the idle mixture screws, any changes that have been made from how the carb was set up originally)

Along w/the vehicle specifics like:

weight. Going to say you prolly weigh at least 3800 lbs.
rear gear ratio
trans type. You mention having a "kick down switch". If that's correct, you have a TH400. Is that correct?
converter stall speed
the way you use the vehicle (race, w/e toy, parade, DD, etc.)

Then describe:

the symptoms of what the vehicle is (or is not) doing that it should be doing. You mention sluggish take off. Is this all that's wrong? Does it stumble or pop through the carb? Or is it smooth, just slow feeling?
what RPM the problem occurs, if other than just off idle.

There are several different damper/timing tab combos that have been used through the years. If they are mixed up the timing can be different than what you see w/a timing light. DETERMINING TDC will allow you to be sure the timing tab and damper are correctly indicating TDC.

MAKE A TIMING TAPE to see what the total timing is, w/o needing to use a dial back timing light. You can also buy a timing tape, get one that matches the diameter of your damper.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.