Spacer block for Hurst shift handle? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spacer block for Hurst shift handle?

Continuing on the 4 speed conversion, I am now up against locating the shifter, and really only have 1 position, which is all the way to the rear of the Muncie. This will work, IF I can space the shift handle to the right (passenger side) about 2 1/2- 3 inches....Can I just make a steel spacer block, and use it between the shifter bracket and the shift stick which will be that thick? I know they make one about 5/16" thick, but I need much more to get the stick away from my legs...
Thanks..............

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Hurst just bent the handle over just above the shifter main body. Quite a bit easier and won't screw up the geometry. They used this method to get around bench seats to fitting consoles.

A long shifter stick, a vise, a torch and you have the shifter handle in the correct position.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Hurst just bent the handle over just above the shifter main body. Quite a bit easier and won't screw up the geometry. They used this method to get around bench seats to fitting consoles.

A long shifter stick, a vise, a torch and you have the shifter handle in the correct position.
Understood, my issue is not the bend towards or away from the seat...but the side to side position, and torching a new chrome handle doesnt work for me, so gonna try a big spacer block to get stick towards the passenger side...
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

You might consider making two spacers out of steel tubing or pipe with the ends squared off (easy for me, I have a lathe) and longer grade 8 bolts instead of making a block. Either way, with it spaced like that the shifter will feel strange moving across the gate as it will move up and down a bit...

Russ
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

I think I've figured out a possible solution, I'm going to make up a block of steel same size as bottom of shift stick, and it will be twice the length of the part which slips into the actual shifter bracket where it bolts on. The difference, the top half of the block will be angle away from the seat, so the shift stick gets mounted to that, which should give me the clearance I need from the seat....we shall see!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

If you get stuck; Jody Haag at Jody's Transmissions (hes on Team Chevelle and several other sites) is a real shifter setup wizard. He may have just the offset handle or 'block' you need
Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

To answer the original question, yes you can just make a steel spacer block. The Competition Plus in my 1970 442 has about a 1.5" offset built into the lever that comes out of the shifter mechanism to align the stick with the factory console, so the offset you're talking about isn't significantly greater. Yeah, if you plan on banging shifts at the track, you'll be imposing a rotation force in the mechanism that may lead to premature wear. The shifters can be rebuilt.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Kinda on topic: I have a Hurst Super Shifter bought used that came without a stick or knob. I found both new on Craiglist for $40 that appears to be #538-8550, but the retention grooves are only cut on one side making it install forward only. If I reversed this handle without cutting new grooves, would it tend to "flop around"? I hate to destroy a new part cutting grooves in it... I'd be open to trading it for the proper (straight-up) #538-7238 that came on a Super Shifter, as I've built a new mount plate that raises the whole works up to straighten out the shift rods and could use a shorter stick...

Russ

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.