Spare Tire........... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013, 09:04 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My solstice came from the factory with a can of slime and an air pump but I threw a plug kit in the car. No factory spare which a lot of new cars are going to to save weight.

No way would I dump a can of that junk into my tires that I would have to clean out later. I'm sure it works but I think the plug is a much better solution. And yes, the tire would get taken off for a permanent repair with a patch.

I need to get a pump for my Impala. I haven't put enough miles on it yet or drove it far enough from home where I felt a dire need for a spare. I have the room but running two different rim and tires sizes I would rather just use a plug and air pump. Besides I have to jack the back sky high to get the rear tires off. I don't want to drag a floor jack with me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

You do realize that if you run different size tires on a street rod, you should match the spare to the front tire. If you have a flat on your front tire and your spare is the same size as the rear, you're out of luck. Reason being is that there is not enough clearance to run that over size tire on the front. If you do have a flat on the rear, then the smaller spare will work but you had better not drive any great distances, for fear of toasting your diff.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,120 Times in 996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
You do realize that any time you go around a corner, the outside tire spins faster than the inside one. That doesn't ruin a posi rear, does it? I wouldn't run different diameters for any length of time, but it will get you to the next off ramp and to a gas station for a repair.

The biggest problem with using a donut spare in a tightly-packed street rod is where do you put the large flat tire after you change it?
LOL, funny how we can overlook something like that, never thought about it! LOL, all of my cars have "normal" trunks but my brother has his 22 Buick roadster and put a wagon wheel spare in the trunk, where in the living hell would he put one of his rear wheels? LOL, that is so damn funny. I don't think he is carrying it anymore, maybe that hit him one day.

Brian

Old 11-01-2013, 06:02 AM

Last journal entry: Rainy Day Slots
Last photo:

Lug Nuts

I would think we would want to carry a set of lug nuts for the spare. Right? Or, will lug nuts from our mags work? Just a thought, as I have never had to try.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
I have the room but running two different rim and tires sizes I would rather just use a plug and air pump. Besides I have to jack the back sky high to get the rear tires off. I don't want to drag a floor jack with me.
I carried a small floor jack in my GTO. But that had a much bigger trunk so it was no biggy....

What air pump would you recommend? Never owned own that didn't run off 110v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Tall T View Post
You do realize that if you run different size tires on a street rod, you should match the spare to the front tire.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
LOL, funny how we can overlook something like that, never thought about it! LOL, all of my cars have "normal" trunks but my brother has his 22 Buick roadster and put a wagon wheel spare in the trunk, where in the living hell would he put one of his rear wheels? LOL, that is so damn funny. I don't think he is carrying it anymore, maybe that hit him one day.

Brian
Make the wife put it in her lap...Lol She probably wouldn't be too happy tho....

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chatfield View Post
I would think we would want to carry a set of lug nuts for the spare. Right? Or, will lug nuts from our mags work? Just a thought, as I have never had to try.
You're probably right. Would need nuts for steel wheels.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:00 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

My CTS-V has bracing where a spare would go. The factory tire was a run flat, which I won't run because they're expensive, heavy, and grip is mediocre. I have AAA Premier and a can of fix a flat meant for a truck tire.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

If you have on-board TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system - what used to be a $2 tire pressure "stick" and common sense); make SURE whatever sealant you use is safe for the sensors. I went 4-wheeling in some rough country and everyone adds "Slime" to the tires as a preventative measure. It sure works. Way later, I centerpunched my rim on a hidden piece of angle iron. Tore a HUGE hole in the tire and caved the rim in; also cost me a helmet, a busted thumb and a seriously long walk (ride with a buddy guys).
When I finally got around to looking at things, that slime stuff is amazing, but it is a royal mess to clean up. Its water soluble and it'll nicely coat the TPMS sensor. When you have the tire properly repaired or replaced, that sensor needs to be cleaned most likely. Its a nasty job, so PLEASE tip the guy who does it for you. One tire shop here is just as apt to bill you up the wazoo when they see it, or tell you to go elsewhere if they know beforehand.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
The biggest problem with using a donut spare in a tightly-packed street rod is where do you put the large flat tire after you change it?
Thanks for the sanity check Joe. I didn't think of that, wonder how many others didn't.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:59 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
You do realize that any time you go around a corner, the outside tire spins faster than the inside one. That doesn't ruin a posi rear, does it? I wouldn't run different diameters for any length of time, but it will get you to the next off ramp and to a gas station for a repair.

Going around a corner is a short time thing, and occasional, even in town driving. Going down the road at 35 mph with two drastically different size tires will heat and burn up clutches in a LS differential pretty quickly!

I don't carry spares in either of my hotrods, but I do in my daily driver '69 Burb. I also carry towing, so I depend on new tires, and my AAA to save me out of town.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.