spark, gas and no fire - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Learning something every day

Last journal entry: Adding some tunes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

spark, gas and no fire

ok i have a 283 sbc in a 62 impala. I have a holley 600cfm carb, edelbrock preformer intake, and a junkyard hei single plug distributor from a 76 chevy. I took the old points dist out and put the motor back on tdc on the compression stroke. I put the hei dist in and hooked the hooked the wire that went from the starter to the postitive side of the coil to the battery input on the distributor cap. I made sure the rotor was under a terminal and used that terminal for #1. I got a good spark on the #1 plug and i hooked up the timing light and it was firing near tdc when the motor was turned over. The motor gets plenty gas (probably a little much) but wont start. It was running with the points distributor when i pulled it out. I would appreciate some help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2005, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

The older points ign system worked differently than you are wiring it for. Way back then (in my day!) the starter had a terminal that gave the points a full 12 volts when cranking, but when the key was returned to the "run" position, the voltage from that terminal went away and the ign switch took over and sent a lower running voltage. Big clue is it will fire the light or seem to try to start but as soon as you bring the key back, the fire goes away. Change the dist + wire so it goes to a full 12V source that is NOT coming from the starter. Find one on the fuse box or somewhere else that is hot with the key only.

Mark
Old 07-03-2005, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

just hook your dis power wire to a fuse that is hot when cranking and on pos and dead when key is off
Old 07-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Not fast, but loud as hell

Last photo:

You can't take the wire straight from the power terminal on the starter? Why is that, wouldn't there be constant power to it?
Old 07-03-2005, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Thanks a lot I will do that.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Swap

Doc here,

Most likely what your experiencing is a massive current drop through the old ignition resistor..

HEI's need 12 volts or they won't run, (or run like Crap in a can) with the old coil resistor installed from the points type distributer, your seeing 6 to 9 volts at the coil.

If you haven't already removed it, backtrack the BATT wire until you come to a small metal box about 1 inch by 3 inches..2 wires in one (coil) out..Remove and abandon it.

Be sure your secondary Ignition is operational..as well as your primary. OR wire the BATT to an interruptible 12 volt switched source..

Secondary Ignition provides power to the coil during cranking cycles..from the "I" terminal on the solenoid. (When the rest of the vehicle goes dead in "Start")

That should get you running..just for test, you can run a jumper straight over to the battery from the "BATT" terminal..If all else is good, It will fire!

Doc

BTW: now that you have upgraded the HEI, you need to upgrade to a good set of spiral core 8.5 mm wires (to contain the higher spark) and get a new set of plugs, gap those between 45 and 40 whichever the engine seems to want best..

Last edited by docvette; 07-03-2005 at 09:46 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-06-2005, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

I hooked the BATT wire to a fuse that was getting 12v when on but when the engine would turn over the voltage would drop to aroung 9. It has a weak spark every now and then. I kind of understand the secondary ignition but i dont know where to run the wiring for it. I did not see a resistor but it still could be there but shouldnt I be bypassing it . Sorry for the trouble..
Old 07-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Check your battery for voltage drop first. After deciding it's okay, you need a wire with a constant twelve volts. Your weak fire comes from low voltage on the primary side. The "S" terminal(closest to the block) on the starter will have 12 volt's with the key in all positions except "off".
Old 07-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Did you do as Doc suggestedand make sure the ballast resistor was removed? I would junk that whole old wire, and run a new wire, heavier guage, from a source that is live during cranking and run position of the key. Could be you have a ballast "wire" or too much resistance in the original ("1962", lots of time for wire corrosion, work hardening leading to high resistance).
Old 07-06-2005, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1
The "S" terminal(closest to the block) on the starter will have 12 volt's with the key in all positions except "off".
I believe that the "S" terminal is the "start" terminal. It usually has the purple wire on it, the one that triggers the solonoid. The outside small terminal is the old 12V terminal that used to go to the resistor for full voltage cranking.

You need a good 12V source that is on when the key is on. Best place is to go directly to the fuse box and check with a test light and run a new lead to the "batt" plug on the dist.

Mark
Old 07-06-2005, 05:43 PM

Imho

A lot of hei`s won`t run on low voltage,make sure you have 12 v when cranking and running. you should be able to get 12 v from ign switch . Jerry
Old 07-06-2005, 09:38 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

[QUOTE=docvette]Doc here,

Most likely what your experiencing is a massive current drop through the old ignition resistor..

HEI's need 12 volts or they won't run, (or run like Crap in a can) with the old coil resistor installed from the points type distributer, your seeing 6 to 9 volts at the coil.

If you haven't already removed it, backtrack the BATT wire until you come to a small metal box about 1 inch by 3 inches..2 wires in one (coil) out..Remove and abandon it.

Be sure your secondary Ignition is operational..as well as your primary. OR wire the BATT to an interruptible 12 volt switched source..

Secondary Ignition provides power to the coil during cranking cycles..from the "I" terminal on the solenoid. (When the rest of the vehicle goes dead in "Start")

That should get you running..just for test, you can run a jumper straight over to the battery from the "BATT" terminal..If all else is good, It will fire!

did u do this to see if ur hei even works
Old 07-07-2005, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Ok everyone i got it running. I found the resistor and took it out and the distributor was 180 off (thanks to some buddies who cant figure out what a compression stoke is). It runs pretty good now. THere were also some really bad connections i found which was causing the voltage to drop even more. THanks everyone for the help.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.