Spark Plug/Header Clearance, what tool? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spark Plug/Header Clearance, what tool?

I'm changing the spark plugs on my truck (355 SBC) and my truck has long tube headers, there is 1 plug on each side that i can't get to with the normal tools I have, because of a header tube being in the way.

As you can see in the pic I can get the 5/8 plug socket on the plug, I just need to find something I can fit on the socket.

What tool would be good for this?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 PM

use a socket that accepts an open end wrench on the end,also buy an offset 5/8 box wrench or angle box 5/8.
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
fastnloud (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
use a socket that accepts an open end wrench on the end,also buy an offset 5/8 box wrench or angle box 5/8.
The socket I have does accept an open end wrench I think. The offset wrench sounds like that should work, thanks.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 AM

Last photo:

Vinnie is spot on. I had the same issue and I'm using shorty plugs! The offset wrench saved me having to pull the headers and also allowed proper alignment when tightening the plugs. I made a run to Sears and grabbed a 5 wrench set for about $50.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64nailhead For This Useful Post:
fastnloud (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Also, there are different lengths of sockets. I have one cylinder on my Ford with GT40P heads and Sanderson Headers that needs a 'special' socket. I took a plug with me to a couple stores, tried several sockets, found the shortest I could get over the length of plug and still get an extension fully on, took it home and ground the sockets hex end so only a minimum would engage the plug hex. It barely makes it, but does work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irelands child For This Useful Post:
fastnloud (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Also, there are different lengths of sockets. I have one cylinder on my Ford with GT40P heads and Sanderson Headers that needs a 'special' socket. I took a plug with me to a couple stores, tried several sockets, found the shortest I could get over the length of plug and still get an extension fully on, took it home and ground the sockets hex end so only a minimum would engage the plug hex. It barely makes it, but does work.

It must be a Sanderson thing, because that's what I've got also and the clearance is poor, to say the least. I haven't been around hundreds of sets of headers, but I've never seen headers as tight to the plugs as these, other than some 'homegrown' headers. But despite that, they fit the chassis perfectly and haven't leaked, cracked, or anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64nailhead For This Useful Post:
fastnloud (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 PM

I have Hooker Super Comps on my chevelle, angled plugs, and I got a few I can't even get a socket on. I found a 5/8's offset wrench I use. It's a pain to even get the plug wires back on the plugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to vht For This Useful Post:
fastnloud (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys for the help. I ended up getting the other plugs with a deep offset 5/8 wrench attached to my socket. It wasn't easy at all though that's for sure, I will keep an eye out for other tools that might help.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

I have an SBC with angled plugs, and tight tuck headers from Patriot. Since my heads are "D" port, that reduced my options. I have a couple of plugs that I can't get a socket on, with it on the ratchet. I can get the socket on, and then the end of the ratchet in just enough to turn it. Awkward, but it works.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnloud View Post
I'm changing the spark plugs on my truck (355 SBC) and my truck has long tube headers, there is 1 plug on each side that i can't get to with the normal tools I have, because of a header tube being in the way.

As you can see in the pic I can get the 5/8 plug socket on the plug, I just need to find something I can fit on the socket.

What tool would be good for this?

Thanks guys.
One of my favorite wrenches for spark plugs and headers is a thing called O-Ratchet. This is a set of 6 point sockets whose ratchet handle engages the outside of the socket and is hollow. This allows the spark plug to project through the handle's head making for a very compact set up that solidly grips the plugs hex. The O-Ratchet sockets can also be engaged by an open or box end wrench as their hex is a standard size.

Bogie
Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
One of my favorite wrenches for spark plugs and headers is a thing called O-Ratchet. This is a set of 6 point sockets whose ratchet handle engages the outside of the socket and is hollow. This allows the spark plug to project through the handle's head making for a very compact set up that solidly grips the plugs hex. The O-Ratchet sockets can also be engaged by an open or box end wrench as their hex is a standard size.

Bogie
I have seen those, but couldn't remember what they were called. Probably a worthwhile addition to my tool box.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.