Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Spark Plug reading?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Now if that ain't cool... Bogie, do you ride too?

Sorry for the OT post. To make up for it I'll throw in a link:

HERE is a site to give you the basics of plug reading.

And http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/sparkplugreading.html

I have a link to an article on plug chops that I cannot locate just now, but a search will provide plenty of info on the how-to part of it.

That is a good point about plugs- often they will not recover from fouling, despite being cleaned. They may be good enough to get some idea if used for reading after being cleaned, but it's better to bite the bullet and use a new set.

Back when plugs were fiddy cents apiece there was no reason not to replace them all after a run. Nowadays, they're still cheap- at least the regular type plugs are, but there are some plugs (like platinum/iridium) that you just cannot toss that easily. Even replacing a few plugs w/new ones and reading just them will suffice once you know what cylinders you are concerned with, or which cylinders are running rich or lean due to intake distribution, etc.

After reading them they can be used for normal use once things are dialed in.
Below is a picture of the Chrome Show, I was trying to sell it on consignment this last summer so this is picture of it on the local dealer's floor. It didn't sell I've just got too much in it to ask a discount price and the current economy won't support the cost recovery I need, so I just decided to keep it. Besides at my age just how long can I keep long distance riding.

It's a 2000 Heritage Softail Classic. I put a big bore kit on it to boost it from 88 to 95 inches. The Harley sometimes troublesome chain cam drive is replaced with S&S gears and cams. The carb is a HSR 48mm Mikuni, Flatslide with a Screaming Eagle ignition module. The HD 5 speed is replaced with a Baker 6 speed. The pipes are Bub Straight Aways. I added a tach and put chrome lowers wind deflectors on the front. Installed Screaming Eagle foot boards, brake and shifter controls, and highway pegs. This is my first bagger which, like a station wagon, was something when I was younger I said I never own. But old age makes its own dictates so I bought this and sold my old David Mann style bobber/chopper hard tail a while ago, I did keep my Yamaha Virago/V-Max mix as I've got way too mucho bucks in that for what I can get for it. At least my health is still good enough to ride and build things. I'm thinking if I can get away for the better part of a month that I'll ride 4 Corners next summer on the Softail.

I put an Odyssey battery in the FLSTC last summer as ever since I put the 95 inch kit on it and did not adjust the compression for the extra inches it's been difficult to start as if it doesn't fire on the first couple turns, the battery dies and has to go on the charger, last one being an Interstate. I swear now the engine is running just as you touch the starter switch.

While I thought I'd sell it and get an injected model last summer, I discovered I've just got too many big bucks in it, just can't sell it for anything close to recovering some of the cost of the goodies, everybody wants it for Blue Book or less, so I'll keep it. My wife rides a 2003, 1200 Custom which is a nice bike I can really flick it around which while the FXSTC weighs in at 700 plus pounds before I'm on it, it is surprisingly maneuverable but nothing like the Sportster.

Bogie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000_FLSTC.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	61513  

Last edited by oldbogie; 01-06-2012 at 07:36 PM.