Hot Rod Forum banner

spark plug wire help needed

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  68GEETEE 
#1 ·
I just purchased a universal set of Taylor wires for my '68 Mustang. They are different lengths and must be cut to fit.

My question is, would there be any advantage to make all the wires the same length?? Since the electrical spark is the same for all 8 cylinders, wouldnt it hurt performance and take longer for the spark to reach the cylinders that have longer wires going to them? I am thinking there would be a better or more even current if each wire were the same length, can anyone shed light on this?

#2 ·
The difference in length will make no difference at all.

Before you open up the box, send those Taylors back and get some MSDs, Morosos etc....I have had problems with Taylors and have heard nothing good about them from other boards. They are generally junk.

Tim

#3 ·
The difference in length of the wires makes no difference on the spark as far as the engine is concerned. The factory wires are all different lengths. I personally, would not use any spark plug wires that I have to cut to length. You then have to put the ends on them and hope that you get a good contact. I don't have any idea about that brand of wires, but I would spend the money for a set made for that application.

#4 ·
MSD includes a little tool in their 'kits' that makes cutting and assembling the wire ends a 'no-brainer'. It a very simple little gizmo that works amazingly well. The only other tools you need are:
A vice (bench mounted type)
A razor blade
Scissors, or sharp wire cutters.

Tim

#5 ·
LOL the only wires I buy are ones that need to be cut to length. the wire manufacture cant cut mine to length, they dont know if my wires are going over tall or short valve covers, or in my case behind the valve covers.
They dont know if I have headers, & if so, how I plan to route em.
ususally with premade wire sets,( unless its an OEM) application, you end up with 1 wire you wish was 1" longer , and 3 or 4 that are 6" to long & have plug wires layin everywhere.
As far as Taylor wires, Ive used em, there ok, I wouldnt buy Accel personally, I have Jacobs on mine, I like em

#6 ·
I guess I am gonna have the speed shop cut them for me. I bought a crimping/stripping tool, and it isnt worth a crap. I already own the wires, and have cut two of them, so I cant return them now. I asked them about MSD, which they carry, but they claimed the Taylors were better, who knows :confused:

This town is lousy when it comes to finding exactly what you need in stock, but I dont like paying the shipping and handling fees thru mail order, gets real expensive. If these wires turn out to suck, then I will go after a cut to fit set of MSDs. Thanks for the replies.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.