Spark Plug wire looms and Ram Horn exhaust mainfolds - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2004, 11:20 AM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spark Plug wire looms and Ram Horn exhaust mainfolds

I bought a set of plug wire looms that bolt to the block via the valve cover bolts. I'm going to have to fabricate longer mounts to get them over the ram horn manifolds, but that's no big problem. My main concern is how the wires will attach to the plugs after that. I currently have the 90 degree boots on my wires but after I install the looms wouldn't it be better to use the straight boots? Also I was thinking of installing studs instead of bolts for the valve covers so I could use a nut to hold the valve covers down and a separate nut for the looms in case I need to move them, should I go with polylocks? any other suggestions for doing this? I was also looking at the fiberglass sleeving for covering for the cables where they would pass over the exhaust manifold. Does that stuff work well or is there something better to work with. One of the main reasons for doing this is my spark plug wires are very close to my steering setup and it makes me a little uneasy. I don't want it to rub on the steering shaft at speed or worse.

Thanks all
Regards
Mark

Regards
Mark

Last edited by Jag Daddy; 05-05-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

Mark, I had the same problem on the 57, what I did is go to the hardware store and got some longer bolts (ss button head allen) and some nylon spacers, it does not get hot enough to melt them (at least not yet, and they have been on a couple of years). I do run the straight boots and normally I use the ones you put the ends on yourself at the distributor end.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:00 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

JD, the Rams Horn e- manifolds are a pain to bring the plug wires down from the top. Chevy/GM had a better way of running the wires down the black of the heads and underneath and this still is the best way to do it. I assume you have the big electronic distributor thus a Crossfire cap makes the job easier and neater. But since you have already purchased the overhead wire looms, stand offs are required. Longer bolts and some stainless tubing cut to desired length for spacers would do the job.

Trees
Old 05-06-2004, 08:36 AM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Thanks Trees
A crossfire cap? Is that a standard HEI cap or is that an aftermarker part? I have the wires down the way you describe now, but the wires come to close to the steering column shaft because of the number 5 and 7 plug wires. I like the stand off idea, I just didn't want to develop valve cover leaks from the looms having to be moved.

I am working on getting a set of Sanderson custom headers in the near future

Quote:
I do run the straight boots and normally I use the ones you put the ends on yourself at the distributor end.
Hey EBlack
are those 90 degree at the distributor? I don't think I have to room for straight boots on my HEI. Trees, mentioned a crossfire cap that's something I need to look into.

Also how long a spacer did you use? Any problems with heat into the wires?

Regards
Mark
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM

You can purchase an extension for wire looms to be used on rams horn exhaust manifolds from Classic Enterprises 609-646-7032. They recommend 135 degree boots (45) this gives the wires clearence over the manifolds. They also sell Chev HEI's and Crossfire Caps.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

The original GM routing was from the distributor to "outriggers" that bolt to the rear of the block on the bellhousing ledge. If you look there you'll fine a small threaded hole and an unthreaded one. That's where they mount. The wires then ran under the manifolds. The four rear plugs are straight forward, i.e. under the manifold. The front two on each side are routed through a two-wire loom that's bolted to one of the pan bolts. The front wires are then routed through the engine mounts to the plugs. With this set-up, you can use 90 degrees wires.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

That is the best way to run them. As they are out of the way and away from the exhaust heat and the steering column. Also makes for a much cleaner eng. compartment.

Troy

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/5...5eng3shjpg.JPG

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

Last edited by troy-curt; 07-19-2005 at 09:21 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.