which spark plugs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 09:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

which spark plugs

which spark plugs should I get for my engine? It's a 383 with 10.1:1 & iron dart heads. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 04:28 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I'm thinking AC rapid fire R44TS. Just trying to get the thread going but nobody will probably agree with me!

Wait and see!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

I've had good luck with Autolite...can't remember if it was 26, or 64 or 65. It's been a while since my last V8. Never had good things happen with Champion (especially on lawn equipment...where because of high-rpm, everything wears-out/breaks-down at an accelerated rate, compared to cars).

Personally I've noticed whenever a S/P's ground-electrode/threads are black (like autolite, AC Delco, etc.), they tend to burn cleaner....instead of the typical silver ones (Champion, etc.). Maybe because the black parts conduct more heat...and burn hotter/cleaner? There's probably no evidence to back this up, but it's worked for me...that's all I can say.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:51 PM
sickolds

Last photo:

Ngk :d thats what i have
Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
I'm thinking AC rapid fire R44TS. Just trying to get the thread going but nobody will probably agree with me!

Wait and see!
I use the same plugs,i have a believe that if gm used them in there performance packages they have to be good plugs.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Last journal entry: Picture of delivery
Last photo:

R44TS might be a little hot. R43T will be a bit better, IMHO.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Autolite 3924 works well in my 406 w/210 AFR's.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

String theory.... Not black hole string theory... I use autolite 145 in cast iron angle plug heads w/383 myself. But I'm no racer Just want a good burn with normal 30K maintenance.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:56 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nova69
which spark plugs should I get for my engine? It's a 383 with 10.1:1 & iron dart heads. Any suggestions?
I'm w/sqzbox and stoney- R44TS as a start. After a full throttle run down the track, cut the engine w/o idling and pull off the return road (there will often be a place for this so you aren't in the way of "traffic"). Then pull the plugs and see what they look like.

Alternatively, if you do mainly street driving, put a few hundred miles of mixed driving on them and then remove and check them after a run w/o any idling before you shut it down so the plugs aren't sooted by idling.

Judge what they look like and if you need to, go to a different heat range.

All that said, I'd be a little surprised if the 44's weren't darned close.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:03 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Last photo:

AC or Motorcraft.....not Autolite, they are no longer Ford Motor Company now made by the same folks that make Fram filters

Vince
Old 07-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

44's are too hot... 43's are stock for most 350's and I end up running something in the 42 range in most of my performance applications. (no ideal how that translates into the rapidfire plugs, I thought they didn't have traditional numbering and were numbered just 1, 2, 3...)

Honestly, standard AC plugs went downhill at some point. I had an engine that didn't want to run right with anything but some 80's vintage AC plugs (every time I swapped them for current model ones which looked physically different it would get crappy mileage and sometimes develop a miss) or I hate to admit, bosch platinums.

Autolite plugs have super hard and brittle insulators which tend to crack (often inside, not visible) or have problems with their resistors and not run right then. We once were trying to figure out why sometimes an engine ran well with them and sometimes it didn't and went through a set right out of the box with an ohmmeter and found that a bunch of them changed values significantly if you wiggled the electrodes... we went through 15 plugs, right out of the box before we got 8 good ones. Since then I've only used their non resistor or Race plugs which again, appear to be totally different plugs made on a different assembly line.

NGK plugs are the opposite end of the spectrum, they have very soft insulators, making them fairly durable and I've never had a problem with them out of the box, BUT the soft insulators don't tolerate fouling at all, once you get them fouled it soaks in and there is no cleaning them off (I still tend to choose them if I can get them, but typically you can't get them at regular parts stores around here, only import only stores and then they don't always stock the sizes I need)

Champion... donno... a buddy of mine that I trust quite a bit found that he couldn't get anything to run right with them so I never bothered.

That said, I want to try rapidfires, but with their rather restricted product line (it seems like they have 1 plug that replaces 2 or 3 heatranges in their standard line and since the last few times I was looking for something I needed something for something fairly fussy (big boost in a street car, so it might run cool for days but then get run hard for a bunch of dragstrip passes), and usually go for old school AC plugs (If I have enough of them in the garage), AC race plugs, NGK's if I can get them in time, or occasionally, if I can't find anything else bosch or motorcraft (I usually can't find motorcraft) standard plugs...

FWIW, you're probably looking for something like a 4 heat range Autolite (like a 24), or a 5 in NGK (probably a UR5, I think that's right)... don't remember bosch or motorcraft.

This really shouldn't be that hard.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Champion RV8C if you run it hard. RV10YC or RV12yc if you do more city driving that racing.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

Funny FB88 mentioned Champs, I know most guys on here aren't big fans of them anymore. When I bought my Edelbrock #60899 alum. heads a few years back their instruction sheet mentioned Champion RC-12YC or equiv.

I have no idea where they are in relation to the heat range of the AC R44TS or the 43's. Could anyone enlighten me, gonna need a new set when this thing hits the road......thanks, Dave

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.