Spark Plugs: Gaps and Heat Ranges - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 11:04 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Spark Plugs: Gaps and Heat Ranges

Hi All,

I have some questions regarding spark plugs that I haven't found complete answers to. If any of you can shed a light, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • What is the significance of the spark plug gap?
    For me personally, the question stems from the fact that, while working on getting my truck running right, members often asked if the plugs were gapped to 0.045". Interestingly, when I did the first tune up on the truck when I bought it, the plugs were gapped to about 0.055". However, I have kept the gap at 0.060" for the California HD specs and haven't noticed any issues yet.
  • What is the importance of heat range?
    Quite often I read about members recommending or mentioning the fact that they are running colder plugs. Under what circumstances would one do that?

Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Hi All,

I have some questions regarding spark plugs that I haven't found complete answers to. If any of you can shed a light, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • What is the significance of the spark plug gap?
    For me personally, the question stems from the fact that, while working on getting my truck running right, members often asked if the plugs were gapped to 0.045". Interestingly, when I did the first tune up on the truck when I bought it, the plugs were gapped to about 0.055". However, I have kept the gap at 0.060" for the California HD specs and haven't noticed any issues yet.
  • What is the importance of heat range?
    Quite often I read about members recommending or mentioning the fact that they are running colder plugs. Under what circumstances would one do that?

Thanks in advance,
In large measure the gap depends upon the electrical power being supplied to the plug. A high power coil will jump a larger gap. A larger gap is one way of insuring the mixture catches fire and that the plug is less likely to foul across the electrodes.

Heat range is the selection of a plug that transfers heat from the electrodes and the in chamber portion of the insulator at a rate that neither fouls the plug with carbon from being to fast to remove heat (this is a cold plug) nor insufficiently removes heat such that it burns its combustion chamber side parts out (this would be a hot plug). The incorrect heat range can fake the observer into thinking the mixture and/or the timing is incorrect. A too cold plug will carbon up like too rich a mixture while a too hot plug will become fried white like the mixture is too lean. The higher risk is a too hot plug as it can glow hot which will cause preignition which is destructive to pistons especially and the parts connected to them. At the cold end of the scale a fouled plug will cause misfires, inconvenient but usually not instantly destructive like preignition can be.

Bogie
Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Thanks! That explanation was very easy to follow. Much appreciated!

Tags
ignition, spark plug gap, spark plug heat vrange, spark plugs

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.