Spark Prob. on 69 Skylark - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 08:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Spark Prob. on 69 Skylark

Ok, I have a 69 Buick Skylark. Basic 350 2 barrel. I had spark problems and went through the whole thing, replaced cap, rotor, plug wires, coil, and new points. (points are still set.) First time off I replaced it with some cheapy points and it wouldn't get spark so I went back and got some beefier ones. It seemed to do the trick, but I noticed that one white nylon braided line (splices off into two lines, one leading to the positive side of the coil and the other to the alternator.) was getting real hot so I tried replacing it as far as I could go. It started and ran fine for a few days and now all of a sudden it isn't getting spark again and the wire got hot again so I replaced even more of it. Still no spark. Im getting power through the replaced wire and even power to the coil. It doesn't make sense. Can someone help me if they know anything? Thanks

Tony

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Resistor wire

[color=yellow]Doc Here

Does that coil have a resistor mounted to it?

If not that braided wire may be the resistor, some used these, if you replaced it with regular wire, it's no longer doing it's job.

Do you have 12 volts at the - terminal on the coil? or about 6 to 9 volts? If not it (the resistor or resistor wire ) if 0 volts is open / If 12 volts is Short.

The coil may have gone bad, overheating the resistor wire causing it to burn up.

Also the secondary Ignition wire may have gone bad not allowing spark while cranking.

Can you get spark at the points using an insulated screwdriver to open and close them by hand?

If so, and you lose it while cranking, the secondary is open find it and fix that.

To test run a wire from a 12 volt constant source to the - terminal of the coil and try to start, if the wire gets hot, the coil is bad, if it runs (don't run it too long , it will damage the coil and points) most likely the secondary Ignition is bad.

What did you mean when you said the points are still set? did you gap them at 17? Cuz they don't come pre set at all.

Doc
[/color]
Old 08-13-2004, 09:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I did try the method of running a constant 12v to the pos. of the coil. I heard that you could not run 12V to the points or it would burn them up. I do believe that the nylon braided wire was a resistor wire, and it did heat up.(There is no resistor on the outside of the coil.) Earlier I replaced the coil thinking that was my problem before and as soon as I found out it was the points I put the old coil back into it. It's a MSD Blaster 2 coil, I wouldn't think they would burn up. I tested the power to the coil and it was around 9.3V or so. I do have power to the coil through the new wire I replaced, the points aren't getting any. I tried. Where is the secondary ignition wire and how would I go about fixing it? Is it the one that is found near the starter?...Yes by "set points" I mean I set them with the feeler gauge when they were open the widest. Thanks

Tony
Old 08-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

[color=yellow]Doc Here[/color][color=white]

Quote:
I heard that you could not run 12V to the points or it would burn them up.
[/color][color=red]
Quote:
(don't run it too long , it will damage the coil and points)

[/color][color=white]
Quote:
(There is no resistor on the outside of the coil.) Earlier I replaced the coil thinking that was my problem before and as soon as I found out it was the points I put the old coil back into it. It's a MSD Blaster 2 coil,

[/color][color=red]

Is It now a stock coil? or the blaster?? Cuz I believe the blaster's don't require resistors, (check with your install manual) Put the stock back on with a resistor.[/color]

[color=white]
Quote:
the points aren't getting any.

[/color][color=red]
You tested this with key on opening and closing with a screwdriver and still no spark?

*******************************************[/color]
[color=white]
Quote:
Yes by "set points" I mean I set them with the feeler gauge when they were open the widest.
[/color]
[color=red]
By this I hope you mean "widest" was on the high lobe, set to about 17... not wide open, cuz if thats the case they aren't closing.

********************************************[/color]
[color=white]
Quote:
Where is the secondary ignition wire and how would I go about fixing it? Is it the one that is found near the starter?...

********************************************[/color]
[color=yellow]
Yes, It will be the "R" terminal on the solenoid. BUT.........

If your not getting spark by hand with a screwdriver and the key just in the on position, this is not your problem... That circuit isn't even in play yet in "ON".

From what you say, the resistor wire burning up, and if all above are "YES" and you don't get spark by opening and closing the points
(you must be on the low side of the lobe for this to work)

with a screwdriver in "ON" than I would suspect one or both Coils are bad...what caused the resistor to burn up in the first place.

Try a KNOWN good coil.

The only other things that stand in the way is the wire being open from the points to the coil. Or a dead shorted capacitor.

(you can remove it and see if you have spark, or just get a new one there only a few bucks.)

Sorry for the quote break~ups , but It helps to keep track for me.

Doc
[/color]

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.