Spark problems need help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Spark problems need help

I need some help I am doing a straight six to v8 swap the car was running great before so I don't know why I'm having problems now the car had a straight six with electronic ignition I put in a 302 and added electronic ignition on that distributor and now that the motor is in I am getting very little fire out of my coil it's not bumping me up to the 12v on cranks so I'm not getting enough fire on start up nothing to the spark plugs I've replaced ignition switch and all wires seem to be making contact but is there any way my resistor can be stuck or shorted out I have great fire going in to the coil but very Lottie coming out to the coil plug wire any advise is greatly appreciated thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh68 View Post
I need some help I am doing a straight six to v8 swap the car was running great before so I don't know why I'm having problems now the car had a straight six with electronic ignition I put in a 302 and added electronic ignition on that distributor and now that the motor is in I am getting very little fire out of my coil it's not bumping me up to the 12v on cranks so I'm not getting enough fire on start up nothing to the spark plugs I've replaced ignition switch and all wires seem to be making contact but is there any way my resistor can be stuck or shorted out I have great fire going in to the coil but very Lottie coming out to the coil plug wire any advise is greatly appreciated thanks.
Another one sentence per paragraph guy. (he shakes his head). Did y'all flunk English? At least make SOME kind of effort to punctuate your post for ****s sake.

Try putting 12 volts directly to the coil. It's my understanding that electronic ignition systems don't use a ballast resistor in the circuitry.

Duke
Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Yes I have done that and status does not change. I've also tried it off the starter solenoid.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

If you got 12v straight into the coil with good connections and earthing and nothing coming out, that would indicate a crook coil - to my way of thinking.

Duke
Old 11-12-2013, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

Took me a while to work out the complaint!

As it is an electronic ignition setup, the coil has 12v on it and much is as before, my guess would be that the ignition module is missing an earth or has a poor connection on the earth side.

Can you put an analogue voltmeter on the earthy side of the coil? You will see then if the module is doing what it ought to, by seeing the switching pulses as it cranks. If they are present, then you are looking at a faulty coil.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:58 AM

I have two coils that are both doing the same thing I have some power coming out of the coil just not enough. Is it possible they are both bad even with the little fire coming out of them?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave some hours ago. ;-)

It is unlikely that two coils are faulty. Much more likely to be the drive to it. Check your ignition module is properly earthed, test the CB terminal with a scope if you have one, else an analogue voltmeter. Try changing the ignition module.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Check your grounds! More problems are caused by an improperly grounded engine or electrical system than almost anything else. Be sure the block is well grounded.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 PM

Okay so every thing is grounded. My meter says every thing is fine. so I switched back to points and the car started right up maybe a faulty electronic ignition kit but idk for now ill keep it point thanks for all the input.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

What or who's electronic kit did you install in the distributor? Double check the install, and then contact the supplier. It might have a problem in the kit.

Tags
spark 302 68 swap help

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.