sparkplug wires - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 12:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

sparkplug wires

I have read a few posts in the past that recommend certain plug wires that are above and beyond the competition, but I cannot remember, nor find them from doing searches. I think they were Morosso brand, but I am not sure. If anyone knows the ones that I am talking about, please remind me.

Also, I wrote a post in the past about my 95 Buick Roadmaster. It has the Lt-1 motor, and it runs awesome in the winter months. On the other hand, in the summer months, it runs like crap. It spits and sputters, like it is missing. Running the A/C just increaeses the intensity. I have replaced almost everything besides sensors and computer. Parts replaced are plugs, plug wires, distributor, coil, catalytic converters, fuel pump, fuel filter,fuel injecters purged, plenum cleaned, EGR valves, air filter, and a couple of things I can't remember. Anyways, I just had the plugs replaced again, because of an incompetent garage, they couldn't find anything wrong. Of course they only checked before they fixed the A/C system. We picked up the car, turned on the A/C, and drove it home. On the way home the car was missing like crazy. The worst part is that this garage came highly recommended. I give them a thumbs down, if they can't even test drive the car after all the work is done. Anyways, the car is is making a serious clicking sound as it is missing. This clicking sound was not as pronounced before this service. What is the clicking sound? The car misses and sputters, still, but now it has that clicking sound. It kinda sounds like the spark is jumping out somewhere along the wires?. If you are fimiliar with these cars, you know the passenger side plug wires are all routed together through a tight spot between the block and A/C compressor. Can the spark jump between wires if they are bundled together? If there is some sort of short between the wires and the block, is there some kind of insulator material I can use to keep the wire insulated from the block and A/C compressor?

On a funnier note, for any of you who are planning a car with one of these Lt-1 motors. Beings the distributor is mounted to the front of the motor, insulate well. Whenever we hit slushy snow or large puddles of water, there is a good chance the old girl is going to die on us, because the water is splashed up on the distibutor. Wait a couple of minutes, and she fires back up. Also, this car is the first car I could change the water pump without removing the fan belts. It is pretty cool, except for one problem. Beings the water pump is powered directly from the camshaft (which is a fixed object), if the water pump isn't mounted properly, it forces a bind btween the two and the bearing in the water pump does not last but a few days. And, it is on the back of the pump, so you cannot see if it is bad and the weep hole is back there as well. I have replaced two waterpumps and I think this last one is leaking now too. If anyone knows the secret to mounting these type of waterpumps, I would appreciate any help on this as well.

Thanks for your time, and I hope someone can help me!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2003, 12:46 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`m not much help on Lt1`s, but as for spark plug wires, I only run spiral core wires, solid core wires aren`t so good after a few months use, there resistance goes up a long way. the late Smokey Yunick spoke of high energy ignitions and cross fire problems with plug wires, and recommended spiral core wires, he said they should not be routed together and not allowed to run parallell with one another, he said they should be at least half a inch apart from the other, in your case this isn`t possible, so I would go with the spiral core wires to eliminate some of this problem, and I would use wire sheild on the wires, the black plastic flexible shield that you can get in any parts store should work fine, I`ve had to do this on my parents ford crown vic and it helped alot, spark energy radiates through most solid core wire and this is what the spiral core eliminates.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:42 AM

raise the hood at night,, and check for sparks,, they really show up well at night...

does it miss only under a load?

also double check the coil wire, i have replaced a few of those lately on some of my customers gm trucks, not sure but i bet it uses a similar dist/cap/coil wire setup.

as for checking other stuff, check the coolant temp sensor,,, from what you are describing , it might be off a bit, or failing

bob
Old 09-22-2003, 05:01 AM
Last photo:

I have been running a set of MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor spiral core wires that have an internal resistance of 40 ohms per foot.

Vince
Old 09-22-2003, 07:46 PM

Double,
I will be sure and get the spiral core wires. Also, I will try the plastic wire looms. Thanks.

Bob,
It idles good, and it revs very smoothly while sitting. The rough running gets worse as the load is increased. It is somewhat noticeable without the A/C on, but once the A/C is on, it is very noticeable. The distributor is on the front of the motor, and the coil is located just above the driver side valve cover. The coil wire goes from the front side of the valve cover to just behind the waterpump, and I think it has been replaced. I don't know if it is the same sensor, but the guage in the car seems to be working perfectly. Is there another sensor? Have you worked on Corvettes in your shop? Beings this motor is a detuned Corvette motor, I am thinking someone with Corvette experience might have come across the same problem. Or not?!

Vince,
I went and checked and MSD carries those wires for my car, so I think I will give them a shot. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:30 PM

Bob,

I did the nighttime check, and you were right. Those sparks were going crazy. While idling, there were no sparks. As soon as I hit the throttle, I saw at least 5 places where the wires were arcing. Even though I cannot figure out why it doesn't happen at idle, I know I need to get some better wires, and do some better routing. Thanks for the good information!!!!

Scott
Old 09-25-2003, 01:04 PM

Last photo:

It's easier for the spark to jump the gap when the motor's idling with no load. Check your plug gap. If it's within range, you still might try closing it up a bit, maybe .005" at a time, then see if it still misses. The electricity will take the path of least resistance, and that might be through the insulation if the plug gap is too wide.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:35 PM

Would this type of problem, spec spaced sparkplugs, cause a missing problem increasingly under heavier loads? And, does outdoor temperature affect plug wire insulation performance? I can comprehend the plug gap theory under loads causing a misfire, but I cannot figure out why the car runs good in the winter months and misfires only in the summer months (even without the A/C on). Maybe the rubber insulation on the wires looses its insulation properties when it is warm?. Anymore helpful insight would be greatly appreciated. I am happy to be making some progress on this problem (in theory). I will have to wait a couple of weeks to get the new wires put on and plug gaps checked, but I think these fixes will prove fruitful.

The funny part is that the MSD wires cost $69, and I paid $105 for the AC Delco wires that are arcing like crazy. Well, it's funny for you guys!
Old 09-25-2003, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

I`ve always noticed the same thing in the winter months. but you have to remember, electricity is lazy, it always takes the path of least resistance, and the spark plug gap has a lot of resistance, if it finds a path that it`s easier for it to arc on easier, it`s sure gonna take it. I also noticed many times the plug wires don`t like heat, they get brittle and hard and there resisitance goes up a long way in a short time, small cracks start to develope, you won`t even be able to see them and the spark arcs out of them, when the wire is hot it expands, thus causing the crack to become larger. I would think this is why many new cars since the 80`s fuel injected cars always use plug wire jackets since they run hotter. my father use to have a 85 Buick century with a 3.0 V6, he got some of the advance auto cheapy wires since he intended to sell the car, within a month and very little miles, the plug wires were already brittle.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:33 AM

Last photo:

Another Troll to make my day better.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:06 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

ohyeah, lets hear how the self admitted counterfitter would do it......

forgive my trollness.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Yeah like he's is all about originality...Maybe if you buy some aftermarket wires you could re-stamp...er, paint them to pass them off as original.
Maybe I could restamp the V8 in the S10 to the original 4cyl #'s...then pass it off as a rare factory option.....sheeesh, watta losa'!
Later,
WEIMER
Old 09-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

I was going to tell everyone not to drag the nastiness from thread to thread....AND no name calling....AND that maybe we beat up on "pleasepushmeovertheEDGE" back in the restamping thread....
I just re-read all 7 pages....
Here it is if anyone needs an update...

http://hotrodders.com/t23880-15-7.html

After my 7 page read, I think I'll let you boys loose and give this girl what she needs....

quote from edge

(I will be placing this Ad in the local Toronto paper this week-end. Wish me Luck

"1973 Corvette, 454, Numbers matching, 4-Owner, GM documentation, All options, New Base/Clear Paint, Mint Cond., Last of the Big Engines, Turn the Key and Enjoy, Appraised at $28,600, Asking 24,500 Call for a viewing".)

Call for a viewing.....???? After the gang gets done with you, you had better make it a closed casket!!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Dude, You some kind of Praia or what??

The board has spoken and your #matching Vette isn't. Where did you get the idea that was cool to do anyway? Go out and buy the right stuff and replace the other with the #matching. You had better get smart and admit the error of your ways and never speak of this again, forget the Vette in your posts too! Don't ignore the razzing your getting man, it will hang with you as long as your here if you don't do something about it.

Todd
Self proclaimed Troll Patrolman

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 09-26-2003, 05:18 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Edge's posts have been removed from this and some other threads. If you ignore him he may go away.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.