Hot Rod Forum banner

speaker fabric

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dusty82 
#1 ·
When putting speakers on a rear deck what is the best way to prevent sun damage to the speakers.

#2 ·
Most, if not all new high quality speakers today their cones are of polymer construction, very few are paper any longer. As such they are more imune from sun damage IMO. Custom stereo shops use speaker grill cloth to cover speakers with. The cloth is usually black and is not a felt or carpet like material. It is more of a screen like cloth that can be stretched over an MDF frame that the speaker is mounted to. The cloth can also be painted to match your interior color. I had a hard time finding any around my part of the country. I eventually scored some through a friend of mine who knew someone who does custom stereo work at home. I have no idea where he gets it.

Vince

#3 ·
benchracer1 said:
When putting speakers on a rear deck what is the best way to prevent sun damage to the speakers.

Or..........Put them under the package shelf and cut a hole pattern through the package shelf directly above the speakers.

#4 · (Edited)
I know my comment has nothing to do with interiors, but I had to say Great Work Mark! You don't see many built in pieces that feature a break-front design like that, and your example is flawless. I'm a former cabinetmaker (an injury forced me out of the business, but I can still do it as a hobby) and we're considering a built in unit to replace a closet in one of our bedrooms. We were leaning toward an Arts & Crafts style, but your break-front has me rethinking that idea.

Thanks for the tip on the speaker grill cloth too!

Fabulous work!

#6 ·
Jmark said:
On a side note, those 3 speaker covers are actually doors and behind them, on full extension pullouts, are speakers that weigh 190 pounfd EACH! (the side ones) LOL They shoot forward and to the sides so they had to be on pullouts for the "full affect". The center speaker is on a pullout too as it shoots forward and up! LOL

Mark
Excellent idea, and fantastic execution! It's details like that that separate regular woodworkers from real craftsmen. You really did a fabulous job on that piece. I have to ask you what stain you used - that color is intriguing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.