Speaker question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 10:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Speaker question

I have a Jag with the Harmon Karden radio and one of the speakers blew. My question is does anyone know if these are like a Bose system and use a 4 ohm speaker? If so what will it hurt to stick a regular speaker in there? I bought a very nice $14 dollar speaker and stuck it in there to see if it would play and it does. But if it was designed to use a set speaker will I burn the amp or something?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2005, 10:32 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

Use a multi meter to check the impedence if your not sure of it.

Factory systems come in all kinds of wierd ohms, like 2.2, 3.7. 4, 6, 8, 12 and so on, you never know what its going to be.

Also, in theory, the different impedence will not hurt anything, it will only affect the volume (power amps gives it) and the characteristics of the crossover. If the replacement speaker is higher impedence, it will play, but a lot quieter. If the replacement speaker is of lower impedence, it might play louder, or do one of the following if it is too low for the amp to handle, make the amp go into protection untill you correct the problem, or the amp will release its "magic smoke" that makes it work. Chances are the amp doesnt have protection. But also, I doubt the replacement is going to do that, but you never know. Factory stereo systems, even in the best of them, usually dont hold a candle to anything aftermarket of decent build.

I will say that when replacing a driver (speaker) the best thing to do is replace them in pairs, and what better time than now to just bite the bullet and buy a decent set, maybe even a small amplifier to compliment them.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the input. I had bought the PK get this 2 6.5" speakers with 2 tweeters in a padded box for 14 bucks I know junk but that was sort of my point. I wanted to try it and see. I figured if I blew the amp not biggie I would replace it but I did not want to toss a ton on high dollar speakers and blow them the have to buy an amp and speakers. Any way the speaker is playing. I was worried because in my last Vette I had the Bose system and if you put the wrong speaker in it would fry the fricken amp and Bose uses the cheapest paper speakers ever made.

Any way do you have any recomendations? It has been a while since I bought speakers. In front there are 6.5" woffers in the doors with a mid in the dash and tweeter in the A-pillar and in the rear a 6.5" woffer but it has a magnet that is about 2" thick.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:07 AM
69' Nova on laughing gas

eclipse is an excelent brand for clarity and wattage, but it dosent come cheap. but on the other hand ive had a head unit an amp and several speakers from eclipse for almost 4 years without any issues. audiobahn, visonic and blaupunkt are also good brands
Old 02-13-2005, 10:19 AM

Cheap? HUH it's the wifes car, cheap died long ago
Old 02-13-2005, 04:44 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

I would use the Eclipse, in fact, I do have one of their subs in my thunderbird, love it.

Blaupunkt head units is about the only thing from them I would get.

For the audiobahn, and visonik, stay away from them, they are all bling bling companys with poor quality control, and sub par sound quality, many of those brands, like them two are all made by the same mother company, this is why you see them bundled up at mass flea markets.

If you want mainstream names and decent prices, stick to alpine, higher end infinity, and eclipse.

If you want some of the best sound out there, its going to cost you a few more bucks, but not that much. Unless you're a Hi-Fi home or mobile audio guy that is up on the real deal stuff, you probably havent heard of most of these, but trust me , this is the good stuff, that will make your mouth drop.
All of these companies have component sets in about every price bracket except for the ones I Noted to the side.

Arc Audio
Vifa PL
ScanSpeak
CDT Audio
Crystal Mobilesound
Image Dynamics
LPG
Morel
Dayton (very affordable DIY stuff there)
Lotus (very expensive)

But I suggest to go to a Elite Car Audio and search through the threads and ask some qustions there, and I'm sure one of the guys or myself can help ya out more, theres some really really smart audio guys there. Once you're there for a bit, you will have a whole new outlook on audio. Plus, when you shop smart in car audio, you will get more enjoyment out of it. Like in my tbird, people just are amazed at how it sounds, but the would be mad because I got a lot less then they do in their stereo because they payed for all the mass marketed companies marketing hype, when I just bought a solid product.

Plus this stuff is so easy and stealth to install, doesnt attract thieves

Last edited by skeeveman; 02-14-2005 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:39 PM

I checked the OHM's on the stockers and they were 3.8 so I went to the audio store and the Rockford Fosgates had the same OMS on my meter so I bought them for now. I am going to replace all the speakers down the road so skeeveman the info is very helpfull, thanks. I kinda wanted to get something in the car quick to stop the whining from the wife So not I am going to start the research.
In back is a 6.5 that is more for bass and up front a set of componet speakers so I want to try and match what was there. I figure Harmon Kardon had a reason right? Any way thanks for the input and the link.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Wookie

www.crutchfield.com has a fair amount of speakers amps head units and Dvd players, with all the specs and it will come with EVERYthing you need to install. prices aren't too bad either

77 Impala
74 260Z (a Work in SLOW Progress)
69 Big Block Chevelle (long gone)
Semper Fi My Brothers
Old 02-14-2005, 06:53 AM

I checked with Crutchfield and they were pretty much no help. I told them what was mounted size wise and all they said was we have not measured that car. After a lot of searching the rear speakers are 6.5" subwoofers and I have been given a site for those.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.