Speaking of Fram oil Filters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2003, 04:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Speaking of Fram oil Filters

Was reading the post below and reminded me of a situation I just ran into and still don't have a good answer for, thought you guys could contribute. Helped a friend finish up installing a 406 sbc in a 74 vega to get ready for a car show. Fired engine oil pressure went to 65 psi then droped to 40 and eventually to 20. No engine noise and contributed It to possible air in oil pressure line, had so many other things to do left It for the next day. Day 2 fired engine no oil pressure, shut down unscrewed line from oil pressure fitting fired engine no oil. Once again engine had no knocks sounded fine. Called engine builder says oil filter collapsed, 74 V8 vega with headers, not a happy camper. Bust knuckles drop headers unscrew short Fram filter find no problem with filter. Call engine builder he says what happen to the HV Fram one quart filter he primed engine with?. Took off cause of header clearence, so I screw HV filter on spin engine over with no ignition and 25 psi. Damn he's right but no room for HV filter. Looked at my situation again they had took the pressure relief valve out of the oil adapter replaced with allen. Put stock oil adapter with relief valve short Fram filter Fired engine 65 psi. Asked the builder way, Does not know, Do you?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2003, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

That little valve on adapter is a filter bypass. It allows oil to still get to bearings when filter is plugged, unfiltered oil is better than no oil thats why its there.

So now that you put an adapter with the valve back in its bypassing the filter entirely or partially.
All this could be caused by the small filter or it could even be Frams crappy anti-drainback valve that is causing a restriction to flow.

Theres nothing wrong with blocking the bypass but you have to pay attention to oil pressure gauge, run thin weight oil in cold weather or at least let it warm up before revving it up. The filter could blow or I suppose element could collapse are the risks but you know that its getting filtered oil all the time.

I think you should consider a remote filter and use the blocked off adapter.

Not that it matters to your problem.
I had a similar problem this week with my 305 Chevy with a Fram filter I have the bypass plugged too but I always change oil when I should and watch my gauges. Well all of a sudden I had no oil pressure at idle for about 1 minute when engine is cold and only 20psi at cruise so I got worried saw this oil filter thread and bought a Purolator now I got 40-50 at cruise and 20 at idle.
I cut the old filter open tonight couldnt see anything wrong so it must have plugged up.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:31 PM
Last photo:

Yep, Fram is the pits. I haven't used any of their filters for years. It really aggravates me though when I think of all the neat hot rod engines I have had over the years and punished them with Fram filters.

Vince
Old 12-02-2003, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

You know I had to go back and look again the comparisons kept talking about a internal bypass, well my filter doesnt have a bypass. So when my filter (Fram PH-5) plugged up and there was no bypass in adapter it was stopping oil flow completely.

That could be your problem too.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.