Speaking of welders... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Speaking of welders...

What would be smallest amperage Mig welder for the garage? Boxing frames, brackets, etc. I don't wanna spend a lot a $$$, but I only wanna buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.c.
What would be smallest amperage Mig welder for the garage? Boxing frames, brackets, etc. I don't wanna spend a lot a $$$, but I only wanna buy one.

I have the 175 Lincoln 220..Cost me around $600.00 at Lowe's..I wouldn't get anything smaller then that to do frames..
Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

^^^^^^^^
Word.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:12 PM
At a loss for words

Doesn't it really depend on the thickness of the material? I think the frame on my truck is 7ga, which a 110v machine would handle just fine.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meancuda
Doesn't it really depend on the thickness of the material? I think the frame on my truck is 7ga, which a 110v machine would handle just fine.

I can only put Information out there...If you want to use it,That up to you. I would never weld any of ''my'' frame's with a 110 unit..Sorry !!!

But that how I do it,I have welded with a lot of 110 unit's, And ''NEVER'' seen one that I would weld a frame with.. My frames usually have over 400+ hp in them..And I don't recommend it..Like the old saying goes..''You can lead a horse to water,But you can't make him drink''...
Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

You could safely weld a frame with a 110 machine BUT it would require some special attention and a lot of patience. First the joint would require pre-heating with a torch in order to avoid "cold starting" of the low amperage weld which would cause thermal shock to both the weld bead and the base metal, this heating of the weld area to around 400 deg. would be required before starting the weld and would have to be maintained during the welding. An even bigger problem is the short duty cycle of these machines, you are going to spend more time waiting for the welder to cool down than you will spend actually welding which can be a royal PITA both from a time standpoint and maintaining the proper base metal temperature. As I said it can be done if you are truly limited to a 110 volt welder but there is a lot more to consider than if using a bigger machine so unless you plan to limit your welding to tack welds and body sheetmetal a good higher amp 220 volt machine will work a heck of a lot better!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Yes!!! Your right, it can be done...But who want's to be pre-heating a frame butt to 400* ... That will sure do a frame some good... If you do pre-heat,''make sure you weld the frame to a very good jig''...
Old 08-21-2009, 05:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.c.
get a used one at a pawn shop the biggest one you can get as long as it looks like new and its a miller or lincoln 110's are fine but a 220v will last longer and do anything you'll ever need out of it... a good used one runs 800.00 and a 110 ,400.00 with every thing plus gas in the tank......no gas no buy ....just saw one the other day looked brand new... plug it in and weld ...complete...400.00 listen to these guys and dont ever weld a frame with a 110v welder it'll even give a pro trouble no pros will waste thier time doing it ...yes ...it can be done ...but they wont.. they know...better

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-21-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

A good welder will last a lifetime and will be used for many different things after you get one, so it seems rather silly to me to even think about getting a smaller machine and then be limited to what you can do.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

I have a millermatic 175 and love it. It will do anything you want to a car or pickup
Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
A good welder will last a lifetime and will be used for many different things after you get one, so it seems rather silly to me to even think about getting a smaller machine and then be limited to what you can do.

Very well said Mr.Henry...
Old 08-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I have had a Millermatic 160 for about 15 years now and a Solar 295 amp stick welder for 30 years. Never had a problem with either one and I have been able to do anything that I wanted to do. I always say the two most important things in your shop or garage is your welder and your air compressor...don't cheap out on either of those.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

I'm sorry !!!! But the people that say they have a great 110, Must have never used a 220 machine.. Because if you ever did use a 220 machine, you will sell that 110 as fast as you can..There's a night and day difference... And the people that are true welder's by trade, know what I'm saying,I have been doing this for a little over 26 years, And I know some of you have been doing it longer. And to tell a man to weld a frame with a 110 is just wrong..I'm sorry.. Like Mr.henry said..This is a tool that will last a long time,if you buy the right one... I know sometime's you can't put out the $$$,,,, But just wait a little longer, And you will be much better off,And a lot Happier.. I will never tell someone to buy a 110 machine...SORRY !!!!

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 08-21-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
I always say the two most important things in your shop or garage is your welder and your air compressor...don't cheap out on either of those.
This is as true, as it get's guy's !!!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Yes!!! Your right, it can be done...But who want's to be pre-heating a frame butt to 400* ... That will sure do a frame some good... If you do pre-heat,''make sure you weld the frame to a very good jig''...

Exactly my point, it can be done BUT is it worth the effort? If all someone has is a 110, and this does happen occasionally, then there really is no limit to how thick a weld can be made with a 110 but the question is how practical would it be? With proper preheat there is no real problem with the actual weld made by the 110 machine but as was pointed out just how practical is it to preheat and maintain heat when welding a frame? The problem only gets worse as the metal gets thicker. Add to that the time spent waiting on the machine to cool to prevent exceeding the duty cycle and the advantage of the 220 is all too clear. For the occasional heavy (comparatively heavy anyway) weld then a 110 machine can be used but the extra procedure required makes it impractical for anything major.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.