Hot Rod Forum banner

Special Extra Long Shank Lug Nuts

6K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  1930u 
#1 ·
Hi all- I'm looking for a set of 7/16 inch RH Cragar style lug nuts with a shank at least one and a half to one and three quarter inches long. I know they used to make them. Does anyone know where to find these special lug nuts?

Thanks, 1930u

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi all- I'm looking for a set of 7/16 inch RH Cragar style lug nuts with a shank at least one and a half to one and three quarter inches long. I know they used to make them. Does anyone know where to find these special lug nuts? Thanks, 1930u
Because there are no threads in the hex portion of the nut, the nut will fracture at the point where the hex becomes the barrel. When the hex portion of the nut falls off, there is nothing holding the wheel and tire onto the car and things go south in a hurry. If you would like to keep yourself and your passengers safe, use open-ended nuts that are threaded all the way to the end of the nut at the hex end, then use studs that are long enough to reach to the end of the hex. I'd like to have a nickel for every one of those blind nuts that I failed in tech inspection.

#10 ·
he most likely needs that shank length because of wheel spacers,
something if that's his plan, I'd skip and get adapters that physically bolt to the car and then you mount the wheel to the lugnut studs on the adapter..
ideally get the correct offset/backspace wheels..
The spacers that you just put behind the wheels are not a good idea in the first place,, and down rite scary on a uni lug wheel with lugs and washers like the Cagars..

if this isn't the case (using spacers) then bypass this post.

#13 ·
All I really appreciate all the responses. I'm not using wheel spacers behind the wheel but I am using an older style weld wheels. The hub area of the wheels are very thick and I also have a set of of simulated knock off style lug nut covers and a spinner nut for looks only. The mounting adapter for the knock off is about 1/4 inch thick and the nut also uses a washer that's also a 1/4 inch thick so on the face side of the wheel I'm loosing a half inch of shank length with just the washer and lug nut cover for the knock off trim. Hard to explain but I will try and get some pictures. For now here's a shot taken yesterday.

zoom in on left front wheel... Thanks again!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.