Hot Rod Forum banner

Speed Bumps. Opinions please

707 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
Some in our neighborhood want them, others do not. Very divisive issue.
What are some opinions?

#2 ·
I used one one time to do a good burnout. I stopped my truck so that my back tires were right against it then I just floored it I sat there and spun for a minute and then my truck just drove over it and I stopped. It was kind of cool but now that I've had to put new tires on it I've kindof stopped burning out as much.

#3 ·
Every neighboorhood has different reasons for them. How many kids are out there playing? Any elderly couples walking often? Speed bumps are not a bad idea unless someone enjoys flying thru a residential neighborhood,close to the cars on the streets. Is there a problem with people speeding? Another thing speedbumps do is curtail the habit of non-residents using you streets as a pass thru to another main road. Bad thing about them is low laying exhaust on cars. I creep real slow over them in my car.Stop with the front wheels on them as I approach,climb the front tires over,slow down and get the rears over. Nice and easy. I have turned around before instead of attempting some. They also have the hard plastic type that secure to the roadway without having to pile asphalt on the road. Plus they seem to have an angled approach and drop on them,a little smoother on you.

#4 ·
They also have the hard plastic type that secure to the roadway without having to pile asphalt on the road. Plus they seem to have an angled approach and drop on them,a little smoother on you.
The damn plastic ones we have around here are steep angled so when your car comes off it's about the same jolt as a potholt gives you.:smash: :smash: They do get the job done though.!!! Before I put larger wheels and tires on the truck I would bottom out the front spoiler everytime.

#5 ·
We got ´em so big here I scrape my exhaust and subframe connectors. Then we got smaller ones that if you don´t go over real slooow will shock the suspension.
The big ones go right across the street , the smaller ones tend to be before pedestrian crossings, if there are no cars coming in the opposite direction we drive around these.
I now know ways round town to avoid the :evil: work.
We got them mostly on our main drag where the (you would call them ricers) young guys did drags and donuts late at night.
Some of these are totally invisible at night, being painted red, show up well in the day.

#7 ·
I've seen them where they were called undulations, longer, gentler approach but still slow you down, you don't have to crawl over them. And as Willys said: In front of my house, great idea. In front of your house, stupid idea. My neighbor and I have both stepped out in front of cars, tell them to slow down. We also have about 5 cops in this subdivision, most problems are taken care of quickly. :pain: Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.