speed demon or mighty demon? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtyninemercury
A word of advice to anyone - whether or not you buy BG or not - make damn sure that you have a good working A/F meter on your ride

I have an A/F meter on my ride...ME. With careful consideration of the plugs, exhaust gases, timing, camshaft, rpm, fuel efficiency, and carb settings. I get the perfect A/F mix every time. It might not be green or yellow or red. But I know for a fact it is right.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 01:30 PM

I bought a used 650 speed demon last year and can't wait to try it. It should allow me to have a big cam and still have good low rpm characteristics with its 4 corner idle. I believe the mighty demon is designed to handle larger cams than the speed demons.

I also agree with ap72 that edelbrocks are generally trouble free when finally tuned. The holleys have power valves and gaskets that can wear out and give problems while the edelbrock only has the accel. pump.

I bought the speed demon because I like to try new things and see how they are. I have a holley spreadbore on my 74 camaro and the only real complaint I have is gasket problems.

Check the BG website to see the cams the carbs are designed for. I am thinking you could use the mighty demon. Another great feature now is the idle-eeze which my demon does not have.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23
I have an A/F meter on my ride...ME. With careful consideration of the plugs, exhaust gases, timing, camshaft, rpm, fuel efficiency, and carb settings. I get the perfect A/F mix every time. It might not be green or yellow or red. But I know for a fact it is right.
Well said .There are a lot of good air meters out there. Innovate for one has some real accurate ones that can be used in the aid of tuning a carb. With any reference you still have to read the plugs and use common tuning procedures as well like you mentioned..
Old 04-08-2008, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyv8_power
I bought a used 650 speed demon last year and can't wait to try it. It should allow me to have a big cam and still have good low rpm characteristics with its 4 corner idle. I believe the mighty demon is designed to handle larger cams than the speed demons.

I also agree with ap72 that edelbrocks are generally trouble free when finally tuned. The holleys have power valves and gaskets that can wear out and give problems while the edelbrock only has the accel. pump.

I bought the speed demon because I like to try new things and see how they are. I have a holley spreadbore on my 74 camaro and the only real complaint I have is gasket problems.

Check the BG website to see the cams the carbs are designed for. I am thinking you could use the mighty demon. Another great feature now is the idle-eeze which my demon does not have.
Yeah typically the Speed Demons are good up to .240 @ .050 while the Mightys range is .240 - .260 . Our carburetors are a little more definite when it comes to camshaft and engine modifications based on the amount of vacuum and signal as opposed to a carburetor that is calibrated to cover most anything that it goes on but at a loss of power in doing such. Let us know once you get the Demon installed and if we can help in any way will be glad to.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:41 PM

Tech@BG, the trans in my mustang is a lentech AOD, with custom 10" converter which used to stall at 2300-2600 with my 351w now with the 408 its 3000 or a bit more BUT that is with the 3.00 gears, I will be swapping rears and going to 3.50 gears also if it still stalls higher than I like I may get a tighter converter as I want OD not to slip on the fwy.

Thats why I'm thinking of vac sec, but what is your recommendation for carb?

I guess I'm lucky as I've had great luck with demon carbs, out of four I did have one problem (casting hole on venturi arm) a dab of jb weld fixed that......
Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM

have a foot brake car need 850 carb

Send me one for my drag car out your RD pile and I will try it....
Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwheelz67
Tech@BG, the trans in my mustang is a lentech AOD, with custom 10" converter which used to stall at 2300-2600 with my 351w now with the 408 its 3000 or a bit more BUT that is with the 3.00 gears, I will be swapping rears and going to 3.50 gears also if it still stalls higher than I like I may get a tighter converter as I want OD not to slip on the fwy.

Thats why I'm thinking of vac sec, but what is your recommendation for carb?

I guess I'm lucky as I've had great luck with demon carbs, out of four I did have one problem (casting hole on venturi arm) a dab of jb weld fixed that......
That's good to hear and keep in mind generally you only hear about a product when someone is having a problem with it. There are plenty of threads out there with complaints on everyone elses products as well but unlike the others we do monitor and try to help on the boards and also relay the information to our production people to continue improving our qc. In regards to your carburetor choice with converters 3000 and up [as well as manual tranmissions] we prefer the mechanical secondary carburetors for response and driveability as the engine has a different type of load on it. With this difference the vacuum secondary carburetors can sometimes act eractic.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32hibo
Send me one for my drag car out your RD pile and I will try it....
Wish we could but you wouldn't believe the number of requests we get every day for this... We have taken carburetors before that were returned as defective right out of the box they were returned in and bolted them on one of our house cars only to find no problems. These will then go through the reman process and then go back through our dealers as a reman.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 AM

cant blame a guy for trying....

Thanks anyway.....I dont have a dog in this fight have never tried a BG
Old 04-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Wish we could but you wouldn't believe the number of requests we get every day for this... We have taken carburetors before that were returned as defective right out of the box they were returned in and bolted them on one of our house cars only to find no problems. These will then go through the reman process and then go back through our dealers as a reman.
So in effect the customer doesīnt have to prove the item defective.
I assumed if you made a wrong choice in a purchase that was no ground for return.
Defective, yes.
Wrong choice, no.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Just hilarious. People buy Demons thinking they are just like their holley, tune it the same way, size it for the engine the same way, and then wonder why they don't run. Big joke!

Before anybody says what about the aluminum shavings I found in my carb, unfortunately it can happen. A powerwasher fails in the plant and something doesn't get flushed like it should. You would be amazed how often it happens at the Big Three in their transmission plants on valve bodies. Part of the game when machining aluminum. BG and Tech@BG always answered my questions promptly. Problem with customer complaints is 5% of satisfied people let a few people know they are satisfied and 100% of people that are unsatisfied left everybody know it.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
So in effect the customer doesīnt have to prove the item defective.
I assumed if you made a wrong choice in a purchase that was no ground for return.
Defective, yes.
Wrong choice, no.
That is the way it is supposed to work as the warranty is though us and the carburetor would be returned to us for repair or replacement but in the past with some of the accounts we closed this would be the case. We even had one warehouse try to return an old worn out holley in the Demon box . Good thing we open the boxes and check them.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Just hilarious. People buy Demons thinking they are just like their holley, tune it the same way, size it for the engine the same way, and then wonder why they don't run. Big joke!

Before anybody says what about the aluminum shavings I found in my carb, unfortunately it can happen. A powerwasher fails in the plant and something doesn't get flushed like it should. You would be amazed how often it happens at the Big Three in their transmission plants on valve bodies. Part of the game when machining aluminum. BG and Tech@BG always answered my questions promptly. Problem with customer complaints is 5% of satisfied people let a few people know they are satisfied and 100% of people that are unsatisfied left everybody know it.
Thanks for the compliments and you would be correct . I think the biggest thing though is that we are here on the boards and trying to help as opposed to the others that choose not to. We monitor nearly 400 boards and help where we can and also make note of what the other members have to say regarding issues with our products. This information then gets relayed to the production side to help in the QC process. In some of the cases we get blamed for , you would be correct in that someone bought the wrong carb or one too big and because they cant exchange it or get their money back they go on to bash us . I recently had a case where a customer called me direct telling me they had stripped out the carb fittings and bowls tring to install them and wanted us to send them out free replacements along with some other parts. We advised them we would need to look at the old ones first to see if it was a defect or not so about a week later their warehouse calls wanting to send a defective carburetor back that the customer claims was full of shavings. I advised them of what was going on and we came to the conclusion it was the same customer. When the carb got here we checked it and found out that the carburetor had actually been on a car that had a fire and they cleaned it up to try and hide the damage but missed a lot. The carb was then returned to the warehouse for them to return to the customer. In legitimate warranty cases though we are fairly flexible and if it turns out to be an actual defect a lot of times we still take care of it even past the warranty period.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I got my Demon back in 2005 and a few weeks ago I gave it itīs first overhaul, the only thing it really needed was a new power valve.

All done, no big surprises and no aluminum shavings.
The only changes I made was to adjust the transfer slots.

Ainīt that the coolest carb stand you ever did see.......................
Old 04-09-2008, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

I noticed the blue Holley gaskets............. If you used the holley rebuild kit you may want to double check the main body to baseplate gasket against the demon and make sure all the holes line up in it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.