speed demon or mighty demon? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mission viejo CA
Age: 52
Posts: 36
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speed demon or mighty demon?

I'm going to buy a new demon for my 408 windsor, compression is 10-1, hyd roller cam is 231 242 578 576 @0.50 almost 114 lca, 205 cc twisted wedge heads and a port matched stealth in a 67 must vert, lentech aod stalls about 3000.

I ran a 650 speed demon out of the box and it ran great, got a pro systems carb made and it seems too big, less throttle response and really rich and WOT BOG.

I am going to a 750 annular BG carb, my duration falls within a speed demon but the mighty demon is more tunable but no choke, not that I need one in So Cal. But I in the past I modify it (remove choke blade) but use it to keep idle high until warm.

Mechanical or vacuum? I actually liked the way vacuum runs better and I will be changing rear gears from 3.00 to 3.50 which should lower stall a bit, this car is a weekend cruiser only and never sees the track.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 AM
dawg's Avatar
NAVY VETERAN
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Colebrook Connecticut
Age: 55
Posts: 911
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
neither they are junk
look pretty but are full of problems.
theres a reason why you cant get one from a local speed shop.
they dont wanna deal with them no longer because of the constant troubles with those carbs.
get a Holley or go to the carb shop or AED and get a carb from them you wont be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Guy Hiltz's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 1,004
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would have to disagree,I bought a Mighty Demon and have been very pleased with it.A couple of my buddy's use them and like them also.Ask the Tech @ BG guy here on the forum for his opinion,thats what I did.
Guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 AM
RPM's Avatar
RPM RPM is offline
World Class ASE tech
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hills of TN
Age: 64
Posts: 704
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would buy a Q-Jet before I bought another thing from BG. Their stuff is junk and their tech support is even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 45
Posts: 213
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
neither they are junk
look pretty but are full of problems.
theres a reason why you cant get one from a local speed shop.
they dont wanna deal with them no longer because of the constant troubles with those carbs.
get a Holley or go to the carb shop or AED and get a carb from them you wont be disappointed.
X2 -- I also learned my lesson - nothing beats Holley!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwheelz67
I'm going to buy a new demon for my 408 windsor, compression is 10-1, hyd roller cam is 231 242 578 576 @0.50 almost 114 lca, 205 cc twisted wedge heads and a port matched stealth in a 67 must vert, lentech aod stalls about 3000.

I ran a 650 speed demon out of the box and it ran great, got a pro systems carb made and it seems too big, less throttle response and really rich and WOT BOG.

I am going to a 750 annular BG carb, my duration falls within a speed demon but the mighty demon is more tunable but no choke, not that I need one in So Cal. But I in the past I modify it (remove choke blade) but use it to keep idle high until warm.

Mechanical or vacuum? I actually liked the way vacuum runs better and I will be changing rear gears from 3.00 to 3.50 which should lower stall a bit, this car is a weekend cruiser only and never sees the track.
What transmission are you using and if auto,how much converter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
neither they are junk
look pretty but are full of problems.
theres a reason why you cant get one from a local speed shop.
they dont wanna deal with them no longer because of the constant troubles with those carbs.
get a Holley or go to the carb shop or AED and get a carb from them you wont be disappointed.
Actually they can be bought from over 400+ dealers from coast to coast and in several different countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
RPM's Avatar
RPM RPM is offline
World Class ASE tech
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hills of TN
Age: 64
Posts: 704
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Actually they can be bought from over 400+ dealers from coast to coast and in several different countries.
That still does not cover the cost of a ruined 383 stroker motor, because somebody at BG forgot to put in a 5 cent plug. Then when I finally figured out what happened, all I got was to send the carb back and BG would install the plug, if I paid frieght both ways.

Look at my Photo Album to see the failed, defective carb!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Double_v23's Avatar
Horsepower Enthusiast
 

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 1,495
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have an 850 Speed Demon on my 496 BBC, It was excellant right out of the box and has never given me any problems. I imagine I could tune it a little better for my setup but it worked so well I didn't want to mess with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 45
Posts: 213
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
That still does not cover the cost of a ruined 383 stroker motor, because somebody at BG forgot to put in a 5 cent plug. Then when I finally figured out what happened, all I got was to send the carb back and BG would install the plug, if I paid frieght both ways.

Look at my Photo Album to see the failed, defective carb!!!!
My first and only BG carb was defective out of the box. See my post here at this website. My motor now runs excellent with a 3/8" aluminum open spacer underneath my Holley carb. A word of advice to anyone - whether or not you buy BG or not - make damn sure that you have a good working A/F meter on your ride - and having a tuned good working carb as a back-up, too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Double_v23's Avatar
Horsepower Enthusiast
 

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 1,495
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
People have had all kinds of different carbs fail, and fuel pumps, and pistons, and hair dryers and refrigerator compressors and all that.

I think that people get mad at BG because they feel that they are buying a premium carb at a premium price. I am sure Holley's and goldbricks all fail at the same or close to the same percentage of the time as BG carbs but people don't expect as much because those are fairly common. (and in turn are not expected to be perfect)

I am not touting BG carbs here but I am just saying that it is human nature to be mad that your 500 dollar carb isn't working the way it should, while you might not be as mad that your 250 dollar carb isn't quite right.

Also I would recommend checking out the guy on ebay who sells reman BG's. I feel like they are more carefully inspected and tested than their "new" counterparts. (that is just a hunch though)

Last edited by Double_v23; 04-08-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtyninemercury
My first and only BG carb was defective out of the box. See my post here at this website. My motor now runs excellent with a 3/8" aluminum open spacer underneath my Holley carb. A word of advice to anyone - whether or not you buy BG or not - make damn sure that you have a good working A/F meter on your ride - and having a tuned good working carb as a back-up, too!!!
Actually we do not know your carburetor was defective as you never gave us the opportunity to look at it. Yes, you did have a problem but you only checked for a vacuum leak and then made up your mind you were returning it to the outlet where it was purchased and did not give us the opportunity to diagnose what was going on. As stated in the other thread this was not a common problem as the car should not run for 7 minutes and then go lean all by itself. A carburetor does not work that way. You can continue to bash us but lets give them the whole story as we even offered to exchange it for a different one . As stated we are here to help those we can and we offered the same to you and you declined. Don't really know what else we could have done for you at that point. I think there was more going on than you have told us and everyone in all the forums you posted on as other members were suspicious as well.For those that may have an issue feel free to pm , email or call us and we will work with you to correct the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal
Age: 45
Posts: 213
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Actually we do not know your carburetor was defective as you never gave us the opportunity to look at it. Yes, you did have a problem but you only checked for a vacuum leak and then made up your mind you were returning it to the outlet where it was purchased and did not give us the opportunity to diagnose what was going on. As stated in the other thread this was not a common problem as the car should not run for 7 minutes and then go lean all by itself. A carburetor does not work that way. You can continue to bash us but lets give them the whole story as we even offered to exchange it for a different one . As stated we are here to help those we can and we offered the same to you and you declined. Don't really know what else we could have done for you at that point. I think there was more going on than you have told us and everyone in all the forums you posted on as other members were suspicious as well.For those that may have an issue feel free to pm , email or call us and we will work with you to correct the problem.
Well BG tech guy - with what you just said you are starting to get me angry! You call it bashing - I call it stating facts:

1. I have a working tuned Holley carb with a A/F ratio meter used for reference. The car works with the Holley - felt through the gas pedal and the A/F meter. Change the carb to the BG - only and only change the carb - nothing else - after seven minutes the car drives in a very lean condition - felt through the gas pedal and seen on the A/F meter. Then increase the jet sizes on both the primary and secondary 8 and 9 sizes - to be equally jetted with my Holley. Restart - same problem. You have forgotten that I have been doing this for years (tuning Holley's). I did everything that you can tune on the outside of the carb. I changed back to the Holley that same day - car drove normal. Changed back to the BG - same problems. Tried the carb cleaner spraying for external vacuum leaks - none found. Added a non-conductive spacer to see if heat was causing the problem. Same problems after restart. Do not type like I just put on the carb - it needed an adjustment that anyone could do and I'm just a beginner and didn't do it and then got mad and sent it back.

2. While I was waiting for the carb to arrive in the mail to me - I looked on several forums and saw many many people's anger about their problems with BG. I started getting a little worried especially since I hadn't researched those forums until after I had ordered the BG carb.

3. The carb arrived - and you can see from my post here at this forum the problems I had with it out of the box. After reading all of the problems which I had too - my first one from BG - I kicked myself - and did not want to deal with BG ever again. That is why I didn't send it to them so they could test it on a flowbench that has vacuuming properties but probably not heat like when the carb is really attached to a motor and say that no problem could be found and that it's my motor's fault. The way this BG tech is saying that he doesn't know that it's his carb's fault even after my posting on the circumstances (Holley - switch to BG - put back on the Holley, etc)

Lean problems with BG Speed Demon carb

warns me about dealing with BG. And believe me BG will get the carb with my description of the problem written on the invoice when the vendor sends it to you for their credit!

4. As far as suspicions from other members? Where? When they didn't trust my A/F meter? They don't understand what the word "reference" means and how it pertains to using meters like that. Same thing with a tachometer. What I read on my tach is not God himself validating the extreme correctness of the tach's needle - it is just a reference tool. I can feel the difference when the tach says 2000rpm versus 2500rpm. Is it off by a few rpm? Of course it is.

So me and the BG tech guy don't go round and round - I promise that I won't talk about BG anymore on any forums - so if you post a reply to this or that post of mine I will ignore it. If anyone to my face asks me about BG stuff I will tell them to buy Holley or Edelbrock.

Last edited by Sixtyninemercury; 04-08-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtyninemercury
Well BG tech guy - with what you just said you are starting to get me angry! You call it bashing - I call it stating facts:

1. I have a working tuned Holley carb with a A/F ratio meter used for reference. The car works with the Holley - felt through the gas pedal and the A/F meter. Change the carb to the BG - only and only change the carb - nothing else - after seven minutes the car drives in a very lean condition - felt through the gas pedal and seen on the A/F meter. Then increase the jet sizes on both the primary and secondary 8 and 9 sizes - to be equally jetted with my Holley. Restart - same problem. You have forgotten that I have been doing this for years (tuning Holley's). I did everything that you can tune on the outside of the carb. I changed back to the Holley that same day - car drove normal. Changed back to the BG - same problems. Tried the carb cleaner spraying for external vacuum leaks - none found. Added a non-conductive spacer to see if heat was causing the problem. Same problems after restart. Do not type like I just put on the carb - it needed an adjustment that anyone could do and I'm just a beginner and didn't do it and then got mad and sent it back.

2. While I was waiting for the carb to arrive in the mail to me - I looked on several forums and saw many many people's anger about their problems with BG. I started getting a little worried especially since I hadn't researched those forums until after I had ordered the BG carb.

3. The carb arrived - and you can see from my post here at this forum the problems I had with it out of the box. After reading all of the problems which I had too - my first one from BG - I kicked myself - and did not want to deal with BG ever again. That is why I didn't send it to them so they could test it on a flowbench that has vacuuming properties but probably not heat like when the carb is really attached to a motor and say that no problem could be found and that it's my motor's fault. The way this BG tech is saying that he doesn't know that it's his carb's fault even after my posting on the circumstances (Holley - switch to BG - put back on the Holley, etc)

Lean problems with BG Speed Demon carb

warns me about dealing with BG. And believe me BG will get the carb with my description of the problem written on the invoice when the vendor sends it to you for their credit!

4. As far as suspicions from other members? Where? When they didn't trust my A/F meter? They don't understand what the word "reference" means and how it pertains to using meters like that. Same thing with a tachometer. What I read on my tach is not God himself validating the extreme correctness of the tach's needle - it is just a reference tool. I can feel the difference when the tach says 2000rpm versus 2500rpm. Is it off by a few rpm? Of course it is.

So me and the BG tech guy don't go round and round - I promise that I won't talk about BG anymore on any forums - so if you post a reply to that post of mine I will ignore it. If anyone to my face asks me about BG stuff I will tell them to buy Holley or Edelbrock.
Not here to argue with you but simply stating the facts. We had several questions that went unanswered and trying to get you to return the carburetor to it's baseline you refused. The Demon has completely different airflow characteristics than your stock holley as well as different calibration and you cannot jet the Demon based on what your Holley wanted for jet. The particular meter as noted by many fellow members is not that accurate when trying to tune although we ourselves never questioned that. Ever think maybe the car had too much fuel and it was burning it in the exhaust giving a false reading? There can be any number of possibilities but we did offer to exchange it with no reserves for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 8,995
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 315 Times in 295 Posts
Holley's are more tuneable, bt I have NEVER heard of a guy having a problem with an Edelbrock. Sure they may need to drill throttl eplates or something for an unusually large cam on the street- but that's expected. Holley's are great and have a lot more tunability and aftermarket support, but Edelbrocks will not die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed Demon Available with Changeable Air Bleeds? Dino Boreanaz Engine 6 02-10-2007 11:00 AM
Speed Demon or Holley granprix76 Engine 4 04-06-2005 05:37 PM
mighty demon to big mychevystang Engine 8 02-26-2005 07:24 PM
575 speed demon Gmachine Engine 12 04-09-2004 02:20 PM
Adjusting a speed demon carb Bradless Engine 2 01-03-2003 03:29 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.