Speed Equipment for 331-390 Cadillac Motors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2002, 11:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Speed Equipment for 331-390 Cadillac Motors

I am looking at a partially finished hiboy powered by a 59 Caddy 390 for a future project. Does anyone know a good source of speed equipment for that bad boy? Like Tri Power manifolds, header kits, etc? No belly Button SBC for this ride. (Not that there is anything wrong with them!)

Dave

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: Nostalgia Rodder ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2002, 07:07 PM

try a caddy 425/472/500 these can be had for cheap the parts to hotrod the 390 will be out of site and will be of stock variety unless you can have them made...cam grinder,custom headders ect...www.500cid.com has parts for the big caddy engines and the forum is filled with crazys,but they know thier stuff.some might have some 390 stuff around too.I love caddys and go over there often
Old 09-19-2002, 11:46 AM

I am running a 500, a 472, and a 390 in different vehicles. The 390 is in a 33 Ford pickup, and has been a great, and fun engine. It is true that parts are a little more expensive for the small Caddys, but the heritage is worth it. The appearance is also much better than the big block Caddys. My 390 has basic stock spec internals, just after market repops. I put an old Eldo dual quad intake on with a pair of 500 Carters, and stock distributor. The truck runs flawlessly. Often there are 4x2 and 6x2 intakes on ebay for sale, but more common is the cast iron dually.
As for running the big block, it weighs much less than the small block, but is demensionally much wider, and ugly. Not to mention, it requires a boat load of work to get it to rev, not that it needs to. I have had good luck with both generations of motors, but I have enjoyed working with the small block much more.
PS, It pushed that old 33 through the 1/8 mile in 8.4 with 3.23 gears and not kick down on the 64 400TH. So that 345 horse rating is pretty close.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:32 PM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:

maybe speedway they have all sorts of oddball speed parts. I don't know if they have the parts you are looking for, but it would be a place to look.

<a href="http://www.speedwaymotors.com/" target="_blank">http://www.speedwaymotors.com/</a>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.