Speed shops new and old - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 09:12 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Speed shops new and old

Up here in northern Illinois and Indiana there are few and few speed shops to take that one u love to. Most of them are just import cars or just muscle cars or just crappy. I would like to hear about some good speed shops around the country. For example I found a place that deals in both import, muscle, and everything else called D.I.D. Race Engineering (didraceengineering.com). So if anyone else knows of any really good speed shops let me and everyone else know!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2004, 02:55 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Scoobs-
Man, you hit on a sad subject for me. I WISH we had a real speed shop around here. There used to be one in the early 80's, but now the only thing left is a storefront for his kids dragster, and so he can sell race fuel. There is NO PLACE to shop for speed parts. I HATE using Jegs and Summit. I want a place to sneak in with some mad money, and grab a set of heads, or something. Someplace where they had a tech guy behind the counter. A place you could walk in, talk, grab, and go bolt it on. Nope.
I was in California this springa and walked into R&E. This place had MAD parts. Must have been 60 sets of heads on a pallett in the middle of the aisle. Valve covers of all types, easily 30 carbs, TONS of "pretty parts". I thought, oh boy, I walked into Jegs-West. Started talking to "Cuda John", and he was AWESOME! I dumped about $400.00 in a few minutes. I was HAPPY when I left. I can't even do that in a Strip Club! I KNEW I had what I needed THE FIRST TIME. I even had him ship me the stuff cross country. I could see it now. Get on the plane with 10' of braided stainless and assorted AN fittings. "Its OK stewardess, I'm just gonna reroute some hydraulic fluid to create afterburners...
Old 12-01-2004, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

I am working on starting up a speed shop like you are talking about right now in NW Indiana, but the problem is that is a limited market you MUST have a name for yourself... and that is hard to do when you are 21 and just starting out. I have already started with some small fabrication jobs like tubular A arms and such, but there is not alot of money in that. I also just started my first ground up build of a 1916 model T..... I have built about 30 motors already and I have a 1978 nova that I built myself that is running 11s and still gets 18 mpg on the highway! I just wish that it would be easier to get a good shop going.... If I had unlimited funds, in about 5 years I would have a pretty sweet shop and a name for myself..... There is a Van Senus speed shop in Highland indiana I believe, but they only sell parts, no installs.... There is a really good race shop in Renselear, Indiana call RWM racing that a buddy of mine owns that you may checkout!
Old 12-01-2004, 05:46 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I've got to tip my hat to Nucar Chevrolet's speed shop. The guys at the counter really know there stuff, and they can get just about anything you need for a GM. Nice in store selection also.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:19 PM

Yaw most speed shops have disappeared just like most us old farts. The new kids on the block are the import guys. Never forget business follows where the money is. I am thinking in investing in a speed shop and yes 80% of the business will be focused on the import guys. Try owning a 63 to 82 vette there is no such thing as a shop in the Toronto area most have moved on and the ones that are around are dishonest grease balls

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.