Hot Rod Forum banner

speedo gears

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  judd55 
#1 ·
i hav 68 camaro i put turbo 400 in with bigger wheels and tires. my speedometer reads slower than actual mph. ive tried the charts and talked to some friends and get conficting info. i hav 2:73 rear and 26.5 dia tires with white or bone colored drive gear and black driven gear believed to be 19 and 40 teeth. i read about 20mph going 30 and gets wider the faster i go. any advise on gear set to get. frustrating

#4 ·
wiseguy said:
thanks crosley, i hav both 37 and 38 tooth gears but i orderd a 18 tooth drive gear to go with it, i read that would be compatible you agree?

your first post mentions the speed-O reads 20 when going about 30.

you need to speed up the cable rotation. A 18 tooth drive gear will slow the cable down

#5 · (Edited)
wiseguy said:
i hav 68 camaro i put turbo 400 in with bigger wheels and tires. my speedometer reads slower than actual mph. ive tried the charts and talked to some friends and get conficting info. i hav 2:73 rear and 26.5 dia tires with white or bone colored drive gear and black driven gear believed to be 19 and 40 teeth. i read about 20mph going 30 and gets wider the faster i go. any advise on gear set to get. frustrating
Info- http://novaresource.org/speedo.htm

Going by that, you're looking at a 18T x 37T or 38T set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.