Speedometer gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Speedometer gear

Hello all! New to the forum and almost finished my 23 T. I've been on here reading many posts over the last year and a half of the build and want to thank many of you for your expertise. Of course I didn't post just to say thanks . I have a TH400 in my T and trying to match a speedo gearset. I currently have a black speedo gear and green drive gear. I have a 2.73 with 26.5 in tires in the back. Two questions to keep me from pulling my hair out:

1. What ratio would you recommend?
2. Do I need to replace the drive gear if I replace the speedo gear with one that required the 36-39 housing (40 tooth to a 34 tooth for example)? I have both housings 1362077 and 1362076 but the gear diameters are different (1.7 and 1.5" respectively).

Thank you for any help and glad to be part of the Hot Rodding community!

Troy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Here's the easy way. Put in which ever combo you want. Test drive against a gps or another vehicle at 60mph and buy an adaptor to adjust your speedo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gear-Ratio-A...4708d1&vxp=mtr
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtimekw
Hello all! New to the forum and almost finished my 23 T. I've been on here reading many posts over the last year and a half of the build and want to thank many of you for your expertise. Of course I didn't post just to say thanks . I have a TH400 in my T and trying to match a speedo gearset. I currently have a black speedo gear and green drive gear. I have a 2.73 with 26.5 in tires in the back. Two questions to keep me from pulling my hair out:

1. What ratio would you recommend?
2. Do I need to replace the drive gear if I replace the speedo gear with one that required the 36-39 housing (40 tooth to a 34 tooth for example)? I have both housings 1362077 and 1362076 but the gear diameters are different (1.7 and 1.5" respectively).

Thank you for any help and glad to be part of the Hot Rodding community!

Troy
The rear gear ratio depends on a few things like the weight of your rod and the powerband of the camshaft. Also important is how you drive- whether acceleration is more important than 'comfortable' HW cruising.

That said, I would guess a ratio equal to or higher (lower numerically) than 3.73 would work well for many applications. But to get any closer than that will take more info.

Here is a link that might help; be sure to follow the link to the Speedometer Calculator.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info. I like the way the car is set up now with the rear gears and tire size. I am looking more at the speedo gears to calibrate the speedo. My biggest question is whether or not I need to change the drive gear on the tailshaft when I change from a large gear (40 tooth) housing to a smaller gear (34 tooth) housing. The driven gear diameters are different and the 34 tooth gear (1.5" diameter) doesn't mate with the drive gear. It looks like I need to replace the drive gear but not sure which ratio (or diameter)I should go with on my set up. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

As I remember each tooth is about three mph

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.