Speedomotive - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Street Rod Dreamin'

Last journal entry: Last post project for a while
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Speedomotive

Looking in the reviews section, these folks are listed but, there's no review. Anybody ever use or heard anything about these folks?
They've got a pretty good price on a 450HP 350 I'm considering for my project.
Thanks,
Jon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Street Rod Dreamin'

Last photo:

TTT
Anyone? I searched through old posts and found a few negative and a few positive posts. did a little searching out one the Internet to pull anything thing that I could find on these folks. Same thing, a little good and a little bad.

How about another question!?
This is what I'm looking at:
http://www.speedomotive.com/450%20H....%20WARRIOR.htm
Anybody know a reputable company that can produce a complete "drop-in" with an equivelant HP and cost?
I could take the time to build one but, I've got too many projects and I'd like to get the panel on the road by summer.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 11-26-2005, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

Have you tried the Chevy performance groups engines. They have a warranty and are available in many HP and $s to choose from.

I like the fact the that performance GM engines are engineered, tested and backed by a warranty.

I have the universal replacement 350 nothing fancy.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Street Rod Dreamin'

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply.
Unless there's a website that I haven't found yet, dollar for dollar, the GM crate engines cost notably more that completed engines that have been professionally put together by a performance shop. I'm saying that to included the additional parts/work to complete the long block GM crates.
It's a debate that I've had with myself back and forth over the last year. Now that I'm am approching the time to get the engine for my project, I've read a lot of information over the last year. There seems to be no clear advantage (on reliability) leaning towards either method. I've seen/read horror storys on both.
One thing I have found over my years, I've never dealt with any dealership parts dept. that was ever really worth a hoot. Could be just the one(s) I've gone to over the years but, once bitten..twice shy.
Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

SpeedoMotive has been around a long, long time. They sell a good product. You'll always get some bad stories from one person or another regarding just about anybody.

I've sold alot of good engines to people only to have them install them incorrectly, use too small of a radiator, overheat them, etc and then they want to blame me for their incompetence. I usually bite the bullet and keep them happy regardless of who's fault it was. I don't warranty really hot engines that are raced, however.

Service is the key after the sale. I always count on somebody messing up once in a while. I always try to go the extra mile and make service the top priority. None of my customers needs a piece of paper to insure my work, my word is my bond. However, and unfortunatley, not all places operate this way.

I would contact Speed-O-Motive and ask them about their policies, warranties before you buy. Get it in writing and hold them to the fire. Be certain you put it correctly and treat it right.

Basically, when you pay extra bucks for the GMPP Crate engine, you are paying extra for the warranty anway.

If a smallblock chevy won't hold up, there's something wrong in my book
Old 11-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB

I've sold alot of good engines to people only to have them install them incorrectly, .......... then they want to blame me for their incompetence.

If a smallblock chevy won't hold up, there's something wrong in my book
It was understood on the front end, IF somebody smoked one, we made them bring the whole car in so we could determine who made the FUBAR. If they refused to do that, it was their abortion.

I always installed heat detectors in several locations and the engines went on a run-in machine.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

The people I know who have had dealings with Speedomotive have had nothing but good experiences.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:25 AM

speedomotive experience

i ordered a balanced kit for a 440 and it was expertly balanced, perfectly priced, shipped quickly, but''''''''''''' it was packaged horribly! the pistons had about 2 sheets of newspaper wrapped around them and the butted against each other during the long haul from ca to fl, the one thing i learned was to never ever recieve a shipped item at the freight company and not inspect it right there in front of them! once i got it opened at home it was the shipping company (yellow freight) pointing the finger at speedomotive and vice versa
Im really into customer service but i could see how it could be poor packaging and gorilla handling at the same time.
in short Inspect what you expect! do it right in frt of the driver or loading dock supervisor!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

(http://www.speedomotive.com/450%20H....%20WARRIOR.htm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-O-Motive
FULLY MACHINED CLEARANCED 350 2 BOLT BLOCK, EXPERT BLUEPRINT ASSEMBLY

EDIT: Don't believe everything you read! Generally, you get what you pay for.

I have watched this thread long enough and can't stand not chiming in with my experience, since I seem to be one of the few who had a bad experience. I will keep my sarcasm as low as possible, but here it goes.

I ordered a 383 short block and upgraded to cap screw style rods. (Click here to see the bottom end). It was unloaded at the shop where I work, so I could not inspect it upon delivery. I got it home and hoisted it up out of the crate later that night. I had not even put it on a stand yet and looked at the bottom end from underneath. That's when I noticed a rod cap had about an 1/8" gap between it and the rod! This was supposed to be a fully assembled short block, complete with a spec sheet. I soon discovered that most of the bolts could be loosened by simply turning the bolt with my fingers. It also did not come with the spec sheet showing where they had check clearances, etc.

I called SOM and got an absolutely horrible customer service response from them. They suggested that maybe the bolts loosened up during shipping (lol). It is easy to imagine what would have been my experience if I had bought an assembled engine, including pan .

Anyway, I wrote a strong letter and finally got a decent response. I questioned what else was wrong (i.e. where the rings fit?). To me, they simply slapped together this engine with absolutely no attention to detail. Eventually they refunded the labor cost so that I could have it checked out by a local shop.

I later had the engine rebuilt and discovered that a few other problems, most notably the fit of the pistons and rings in the cylinders. We ended up having to bore it to .040 over and replace the pistons/rings.

Now I will admit that what happened to me could happen with any outfit. Is there any reason a GMPP engine could not have the same problem? Maybe so. But I would spend the extra coins for the piece of mind and warranty. At least if you have problem, you can deal in person. With SOM, for me they are on the other side of the country. Once they have your money, you are at their mercy.

Ed. www.edgesz28.com

Last edited by edge; 11-29-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

I've seen a few of those things myself, like an engine completely assembled without head gaskets, different length valves and on and on. Buyer beware.

None of this was from SOM, It was from a self proclaimed engine builder. I haven't heard anything bad about SOM. They have been around since the beginning of time.
Bob

Last edited by Bob C; 11-30-2005 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

If you look hard enough I am pretty sure you will find people to say bad things about just about any company out there. With that said I have done business with Speed-O-motive and I would buy from them again. I have not bought a complete engine, I have bought parts and their service was great. I know quite a few people that have dealt with them as well all with good results. I personally build my own engines and really wouldn't trust many others to do the job. As long as there is a warranty in writing I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I don't doubt the story above, there are many people involved in a large shop like that and mistakes can and will happen. I wouldn't let one bad experience totally turn me off to them. The person responsible for the mis-hap is more than likely not there anymore.

Keep asking around and form your own opinion.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:49 PM

Last journal entry: Blown 56 Nomad - First Day at Home
Last photo:

Speedomotive Complaint

Sorry for double-posting here. I just noticed this is the thread that shows up when you do a google search for 'Speedomotive Problem'.

So given that I definitely have relevant experience with the products that Speedomotive builds, I thought it would be best to chime in here with a Speedomotive complaint based on experience.

I purchased a blown gas, injected Chevy 540 from Speedomotive. Dart Block. Dart Pro1 Heads. Blower Shop 8-71 Blower. Enderle Buzzard Catcher injection. Dyno'd at 960 HP on 116 octane race gas.

When I opened the crate and pulled the valve covers, there were shards of metal laying everywhere in the heads. The pushrods had never been properly clearanced and were rubbing against the heads on 6 of the pushrods. Four of the pushrods were bent right out of the crate. When they dyno'ed the engine, it was rubbing itself apart.

The first time I ran the motor in the boat, I started noticing much piston slap noise. Keep in mind this motor is in a drag boat - no mufflers - but I could still hear piston slap. I had a reputable engine builder pull the engine apart: the bores were egg shaped and the tolerances were all over the map. The pistons were slopping around in the bores. I had to bore a BRAND NEW engine .030 over and put in new pistons.

The workmanship in this engine was terrible. This was a a really high end engine and I got garbage machine work. I had to spend another few thousand dollars to rebuild the new motor to get it to a reasonable state.

George (SOM owner) was a complete jerk about any of it. I sent photographs of the metal shards throughout the engine and he had the gall to say that was no big deal. The pushrods were already bent and the Jessel valve train was now potentially damaged due to the bent pushrods when I received the engine! Thankfully I paid with a credit card. When I wrote the credit card company and refused to pay for a defective product, George finally decided to talk to me. So I shipped the motor back, they reclearanced the heads and shipped it back to me. I would have been SOL (short on luck) if I had paid cash. Unfortunately, I had not checked the piston/bore clearance at that time so I got stuck with that lousy workmanship and therefore needed to rebuild a NEW motor.

So I would STRONGLY recommend against using them. They built an engine for us a few years ago and it was fine - but at that time they were farming out the machine work to Keith Black (at least that's what they told us). Now that they are trying to do all their own machine work, my experience is that the quality is terrible.

Buyer beware. Probably OK to buy parts from, but I would stay away from their machining and assembly.

Last edited by boson; 11-30-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Why not get the real thing from GM, you can get a 383 with a 12 mo &
12 K warranty with real American parts..

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/perform...mlCATID=2.html
Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 AM

speedomotive

this company has been around a long time. you will always god and bad rieviews on any company you ask about. I havve bought from them several times in the past. I have always been 100% satisfied in every way. I would not hesitate one minute to order from them again.if this helps any , Imglad to be of service.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

Hey Speed....that question was asked 6 yrs ago and the last post was 3 yrs ago...FYI

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.