Hot Rod Forum banner

speedway drop axles

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  model-a 
#1 ·
I'm planning on purchasing a speedway I beam 48" chrome axle kit , any of you guys have experience with a speedway axle vs. Superbell? It's gonna be set up with curtis rods. Ran car in ditch and broke drilled super bell causing car to roll 3 times. Don't want to re live it too bad and I'm not putting another superbell on it. Any experience with speedway axles would be appreciated. Thanks

#5 ·
I just purchased a Speedway axle kit (I-beam, not chrome). It came with a Super Bell. I was thinking about drilling it. This convinces me not to drill it. I have never heard of a Super Bell breaking. Do you think that the drilling was the cause of the breakage? Obviously going in the ditch was the cause, but would it have broken had it not been drilled? Did you see the axle after the accident?What do you think, motorhead? Just wondering if I made a mistake in axle choice. Don't want an axle breaking! :pain: Thanks

#6 ·
It broke right in the middle of the hole right beside where the rise is. I get a pic of it if it helps you out any, any holes are just added weakness. I'll never use a drilled one again from any company, look cool but I've lost faith in them, and with 2 strikes already I'm sticking with solid from here on.

#7 ·
Is Super Bell still forged? I'd feel WAY better about a dropped and drilled FORGED axle; but no way would I drill a cast axle. Here in NY; there are potholes 6" across and 3" deep. I get nervous when I see cheap Curtiss-syle hairpins, that are then chromed....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.