Speedway or NAPA for MII bushings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 07:03 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Speedway or NAPA for MII bushings

I want to replace all the bushings on my MII/Pinto front suspension. It still has the original rubber.
Speedway has a kit that is pretty cheap. I assume because it is foriegn made. Also I believe it is poly bushings.
Again, I'll assume NAPA is rubber, but I wonder if their parts are American made. It will run over $100 more. I don't mind paying the extra for American and help keep American working.
Which have you used and how did you like the result.
This is under a 31 Chevy sedan. Thanks, Bob.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The NAPA parts are better quality, they may or may not be american made. The Speedway tie rod ends appear to be exactly the same as the NAPA ones and are considerably cheaper. I have had Speedway bushings fail before the build was finished.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

There are many parts that I will buy from Speedway, but when it comes to maintenance parts on a standard, non performance or non specialty item, your local parts store is usually best. Also, take a look at Rock Auto as they usually have the same items as NAPA( a repackager, not a manufacturer) and are usually less money even with adding in the shipping
Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Last journal entry: 41' finally has paint on it
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I used the Speedway Mustang II rebuild kit on my 54 Chevy p/u when I first got my truck on the road. The strut rod bushings only lasted about 12,000 miles and aren't good driver quality at all IMO. They would be fine for a car that was mostly for show, But I drive my truck almost on a daily basis and the parts just didn't hold up very well at all.
I also ordered a new rack and pinion with new tie rod ends from Speedway about the same time I replaced the strut rod bushings with Moog brand parts. When I took the truck to the alignment shop after installing the Speedway rack and tie rod ends, the tech told me the tie rod ends were too loose to align the front end and they were fresh out of the box with about 15 miles on them.
I went back home and called Speedway and wasn't in a good mood at all. There customer service responded with great speed and promptly send me another set of tie rod ends. I installed the second set and got it re-aligned without a problem. But I'm not expecting them to last a very long time.
When I have to replace anymore suspension parts on it in the future they will be Moog replacement parts or a similar quality. They could be made in China too, but the better quality of the strut rod bushings from Moog was very apparent when comparing them to the ones that came in the rebuild kit.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.