Hot Rod Forum banner

Speedway vs. Flaming River, iDidit steering columns

23K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Bryan59EC 
#1 ·
Speedway columns are certainly significantly cheaper. I'm going to need a tilt column with no column shifter capability. Are the Flaming River and iDidit columns appreciably and noticeably better than the corresponding Speedway columns? If so in what way?

#6 ·
Watched a "Classis Car" episode where the founder of Flaming River brought a product column and explained all that they offer and ALL USA made , even the computer for linking to column from late model engines is USA made. Collapsable column too. I was impressed and would use their column .:welcome:

#7 ·
I bought Ididit (over Flaming River) because someone on here who used a FR column had some rattle noises that he couldn't track down. Would never consider a Speedway column for a street-driven vehicle...

Russ

#9 ·
I HAVE an Ididit, not sure what exactly your post is implying? I don't' recall the fellow here who had issues with his Flaming River, maybe he'll pipe up. I have no problem saving money on cheap parts that are not mission-critical, however, I would never trust a Chinesium column with my life or the lives of others on the road, regardless of the initial cost savings...

Russ

#10 ·
I have a new Flaming River tilt in my '72 El Camino, the key is rough to turn and doesn't always return to the rest position every time. Flaming River will not return calls or tech emails.

Rag joints don't shouldn't be a consideration regarding the quality of the column, they aren't normally part of the purchase.

The OP is getting good input and responses to his question.

#13 ·
Guys, I really appreciate any and all input. Reports from guys who own the product are important, as well as anyone who knows the product differences. As far as "foreign made", I love made in America as much as the next guy, but at the risk of kicking the hornets nest, I always keep in mind that a Ferrari or Mercedes is not American made, yet the Pinto and Vega were.:)

Not being American made is not a disqualifier in my book. If the quality is there, it's there. If it's not, it's not. That holds true regardless of country of origin. My daily driver is a 2006 E55 AMG Mercedes. It is an absolute beast of the highest quality. It's not American made. My fun cars are a Shelby Cobra replica and a Ford Model A rod. Both high quality and very much American.

The Speedway column is not just a bit cheaper, it is considerably cheaper. I know the old adage about you get what you pay for, and there is every possibility that this holds here. I'm just curious if anyone has used one and how they worked and lasted for the user. At the end of the day this is just a steering column. It's not exactly a high tech piece, but of course some sort of precision and quality needs to be built in. It's possible that it's a good piece, and it's possible that it is not. Just wondering what the truth is.

Thanks to each of you for the comments and input.

#14 ·
When the column first came out( overseas column ) I Had several (5 of them)with the inner tilt plastic breaking that I sold to customers and the column would wobble back and forth ! Had a hard time returning them to the distributor ! Common problem they said was using steering wheel to pull your self in ! I quit selling them ! Took on Flamming River and Iddit as a product line !

#16 ·
back in 2009 I installed a Ididit in my brothers 67 Mustang. I looked it over real good as I had never bought on of theirs before. I will say I was impressed with the build quality and part selection they used. This column was even a little beefier in places where you see a lot of wear like the tilt mechanism. Nice column to work with and instructions written in English a great support network. I would have picked a Ididit for my T coupe but I have been known to be cheep at times I picked up a Chevy S-10 tilt in like knew condition for $40.00.

Speedway has some good import products and some bad ones. Just like everyone else. It is all what floats your boat?

:cool:

#18 ·
I have a speedway 32" tilt column in my project I am currently building and seems like it well made and works smooth. It mounted up nice and easy and the connector fit the wiring harness kit I am using from speedway. Turn signal lever works smooth and the the tilt seems to be nice and tight and smooth to work. I have not road tested it yet as I am still working on the project. Its hooked to a vega box and turns the front end smoothly in both directions. I am pleased with it so far for the $$ spent. Sorry I dont have better close up pictures.

Attachments

#21 ·
New Zealand has a safety inspection program that cars must go through before they can be licensed. They have done so extensive testing of aftermarket steering columns including those "over seas" steering columns. Bottom line is Chinese imports get an automatic fail and Flaming River and Ididit get a Pass.

Link to report by new Zealand Org. http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/i...-2013_Unsafe_Aftermarket_Steering_Columns.pdf

Myself, I have not decided to to go Flaming River or Ididit yet.

#22 ·
Great info, thanks! I'm leaning toward the Ididit because of all the comments I have seen, the quality of both Ididit and Flaming River seems to be about equal, but it seems that the Ididit may have a bit more range of movement on the tilt mechanism.

#23 ·
Many of the cars that are sold and shipped overseas go thru a rigorous safety inspection before they can be operated in that country.

Flaming River and IDIDIT are the only columns that are approved in these tough countries.

Many of the knockoffs have failed at the joint where it tilts because of inferior plastics being used. Some failing right out of the box.
Also, the knockoffs do not always have a failsafe steering connection where when this intermediate piece fails, it will allow the top part of the column to spin and not catch the lower part.---no steering!!!

Ididit and Flaming River have joints that will not lose all steering in the event of that bushing failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.