Spend more time with your kids, pull the plug - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 02:54 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Spend more time with your kids, pull the plug

Tired of being a working stiff? When you left for work this morning your daughter was practicing her ABCs, upon return she was on a date with Bruno. If you can stand the idea of selling everything, house, cars, toys, club memberships, maybe the laid back, world cruising lifestyle is for you. I did this in my late 30's, enjoyed it so much went back to school at the California Maritime Academy to make it a profession, and now that I have retired, looking forward to going back to sea again, but not for work.

Here is a link to a family of 5 that has been cruising for the last 3 years. Some of you might enjoy it, some of you might just have a light bulb click on and say "That is what I want for the family". Feel free to comment on the thread A SA cruising family's adventures aboard their cat S/V TRIBE or if you don't want to join, comment here instead.

You will probably eat better and spend less.......

For you folks that just like cars, here are a few of Detroit's old iron that have lovingly been kept operational in Cuba.
Those fine old American cars in Cuba, as seen and used by a SA cruising family.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

nice catches!

Reminds me of something... My boss cut everyone's hours in HALF at work and at first I was really pissed and looking for another job. Then, after about a week of watching my 6 month old daughter for half the day I felt it was the best thing that happened to me. Recently a guy got laid off and the boss appologized to me and asked if I wanted a 40 hour week again. I said hell no but I'll always be available if he really needs me and is swamped. There's nothing better for me then to watch my baby develop, sitting her down at the high chair and dropping down some baby puffs and watching how her hands get better each time she picks one up to eat it, or how she says "da-da" to get a response from me as soon as my wife leaves for work, or how she somehow knows it's ok to fall back when sitting up when on the bed but not a good idea when on the hardwood floor on a blanket. Man, I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

You are so right Henry, those are treasures. Right now my wife is camping with our daughter and the Girl Scouts. She is having a ball taking part in what I did with my sons and Boy Scouts. What a treasure they are. Next week I will be on vacation and seeing my grand daughter every day! WHOO HOOO

Brian
Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Since they are sailing a cat, their boat is the social headquarters for the other cruising kids in the anchorage after school work is done. That is done in the mornings with the kids using the VHF to check with others their work (most all use Calvert School), then make plans for the day. With pre-teen and older kids, most cruising families have a family dinghy and a 2nd kid's dinghy.

Room in the cabin of a cat

Vs. a monohull.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I would jump ship if I was on a boat with that many kids.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

LOL, it would be a lot like being stuck in a jar of bees.

Brian
Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jet View Post
I would jump ship if I was on a boat with that many kids.
Only 3 are Chris and Sascha's, the others are from other boats in the anchorage.

Here is a bit of background on my friends...................

Chris (44yrs) and Sascha (a woman never reveals her age) have been married going on 20 years and we have 3 fantastic youngsters, Skyla (13yrs), Rourke (11yrs) and Layla (8yrs). Our hometown is Cape Town, South Africa and we love it. We also happen to love traveling and trying anything new, love change and people.

Having children has not held us back or slowed us down in any way, why should it! In fact our youngsters expect nothing less and are always looking fwd to the next family adventure, which this time happens to be sailing around the world…

When Chris and I first got married in 1992 we toured Europe in a beat up 1971(here's a clue as to my age for those of you who really want to know) volkswagen camper, after doing that for 6 months we hopped on a yacht in the south of France (as crew) and sailed (our first real adventure) across the Atlantic, to the Caribbean, stopping in at the Balearic Islands, Gibraltar and the Canary Islands before sailing across the Atlantic. In the Caribbean we island hopped until we got to St Maarten, where we stayed for 2 yrs working on boats before returning home in 1994.

Since then we have traveled Europe and Africa (see smithtribeonsafari.blogspot.com) pretty extensively, in short trips ranging from 1 month at a time to 3 months and had a couple of kids in between.

In 2002, I was 4months pregnant with Layla, Rourke was 2yrs and Skyla was 4yrs, we bought a Leopard 45 Catamaran (named it Insomniac due to the lack of sleep as it is with 3 kids under the age of 4) in the Caribbean and decided to sail for a couple of years, Layla was born along the way on one of the Islands (she is a REAL island girl).

We sailed all the Caribbean Islands, then up to Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, up to the Bahamas, across to Florida and on up the East Coast of the US as far as Beaufort, North Carolina, here we sold our Catamaran after 2 years of sailing, it was a sad day for all of us (thats why we are back at it 7 years later).

Beaufort is near Kitty Hawk, where the Wright brothers were the first to learn to fly. Learning to Fly has always been a passion of mine, so what better place to learn. Chris and I took turns babysitting and learning to fly. I must at this stage admit there is a fair amount of healthy competition between Chris and I and I would have it no other way, we encourage and motivate each other, some of our friends have said that I am the flame that lights the dynamite (Chris)!

Here I will add that I am a bit of an adrenaline junkie and Chris has admitted that he cant very well not do it (whatever the next high is) if his WIFE is doing it! So we've learnt to fly together, skydive, kite surf, learnt to sail together, snowboarding, motorbike riding, scuba diving and so on and so on. Skyla takes after her mother, after watching us skydiving she begged us for 3 months to let her try, so for her tenth birthday we took her for a tandem jumphttps://www.facebook.com/video/?id=592881157, she is also learning to kite surf. The kids are all very active and are keen to learn anything. Thats the thing with children, show(in the active sense) them the world and they will feel confident enough to make it their own….

Those fine old Detroit Irons being kept alive in Cuba.

Bob

Last edited by deckofficer; 08-03-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Yeah, would be a different life, if you have lots of money....or your parents do to finance such a lifestyle.
Some of us "have" to work for a living....or did anyways.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:30 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Skyla's tandem jump at age 10.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:36 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

When you cut all ties, self insure your boat if you own it outright, and stay away from the States, the only country you need health insurance, then you can cruise with a family for around $1000 a month. I have a few single friends that are cruising on half of that, and work along the way. When you anchor out, and use your dinghy for getting to shore, your living rent free.

So it doesn't take near the coin to cruise as it does to just live in the States. If the company you work for isn't picking up health insurance for you and your family, that alone is $1500 a month. One of these days, as more leave the USA just because of the for profit health care, something might be done.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Yep..."IF...IF", you're a dreamer........don't try to make it sound like its so easy to just sell off everything and go croooosin round the world. Let alone the money you would need to get started and keep you going but how about the very unstable atmosphere on the open sea, the ever changing unfreindly foreign governments.......ever hear of pirates?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
When you cut all ties, self insure your boat if you own it outright, and stay away from the States, the only country you need health insurance, then you can cruise with a family for around $1000 a month. I have a few single friends that are cruising on half of that, and work along the way. When you anchor out, and use your dinghy for getting to shore, your living rent free.

So it doesn't take near the coin to cruise as it does to just live in the States. If the company you work for isn't picking up health insurance for you and your family, that alone is $1500 a month. One of these days, as more leave the USA just because of the for profit health care, something might be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT View Post
Yep..."IF...IF", you're a dreamer........don't try to make it sound like its so easy to just sell off everything and go croooosin round the world. Let alone the money you would need to get started and keep you going but how about the very unstable atmosphere on the open sea, the ever changing unfreindly foreign governments.......ever hear of pirates?
where does the $1000 a month come from .
even after all the if's?
hope the kids dont get hurt,sick or need a dentist
Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT View Post
I've cruised before, have over 250,000 nm under my keel. It is much easier today with GPS, weather FAX, etc, when I was last out I used a sextant and did sight reductions to generate lines of position. World cruising wasn't very mainstream back then, but with modern technology and the fact it is cheaper to cruise than it is to live in the States, is quickly becoming mainstream. The open sea is very peaceful, I single handed a lot and enjoyed long passages almost as much as a new pristine anchorages. With the pirate activity, Gulf of Aden is for the time being, off my itinerary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.