spi 2k primer activator - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 10:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

spi 2k primer activator

What is the best way to store the spi 2k primer activator after you open it?
Reason I ask is, my activator hardened in the can, of course it was a pretty long time (months) from when I used it initially and when I tried to use it again. I'll need to order some more activator so I can continue my priming. I thought before I get some new activator and open it and then let it harden again, I'd ask about storing it for extended times.

Is there another brand of activator that I might be able to use that I could get from my local paint store (no they don't carry SPI)?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2006, 05:12 AM

Last photo:

The jobber in MS you bought the primer from just have them give you a new hardener and bill me, they will know what to do.

Activators are best stored at a stable temp like in a basement or closet as what needs to be avoided is a garage situation where it is 90 today and 40 next week and then back to the 80's.

The biggest harm to an activator is opening the can and not getting the top on right away and or sealed good but some things are out of your control also like the humidity the day you open the can (higher the worse) and how much activator you use that day.
If the can is left a 1/4 filled then the can can hold more air then if you only used say a 1/4 of the can and the can is still 3/4 filled.
Bottom line is an activator may store after opened 3,4 or more years and I have seen them go bad the next couple of days also.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info Barry. The guy I bought from does comes to Vicksburg on occasion, I think about once or twice a month but I need to get some activator by next weekend. I primed with your epoxy and was getting ready to use the 2k when I found the activator hardened. Could I call Baker tomorrow and buy a can of activator from them and get them to send it to me by the weekend? I know they and you like us to use local distributors and I will when I order some more of your primer and base coat. I appreciate the offer of you covering the bill on the activator but I wasn't trying to get another can free, I just wanted to make sure I knew how to store it after I open the next can.

Thanks again for your customer care, especially taking your time to answer a question from someone that doesn't use or buy a lot of paint. Other suppliers, take notice, this is how customer service is suppose to work.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

I'd rather you did call Baker on this then bother the jobber for a freebie.
Call Baker and tell them to bill me, not an issue as I feel its more my fault then yours.

1-800-476-3006

Edit:
I have emailed Jeff and Terry but did not have your name so told them from Vicksburg so just ask for either and they will handle.

Last edited by BarryK; 11-12-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Cutomer Service

As far as I'm concerned Barry IS customer service personified - when I call him I know exactly what I have to do when we are done talking - especially since I'm a rank amateur using the new products on the market today.

Dave
Old 11-12-2006, 08:22 PM

Thanks Barry, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I still don't feel like you should cover this, it was probably my oversight in storing the stuff.

Thanks again
Donnie Cool
Vicksburg Mississippi
Old 11-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

BarryK,

OLDCARGUY36 sorta' opened the door on a question that I've been wanting to ask.

As I've said several times in other posts - I'm planning on doing my '53 Vette Replica in SPI products top-to-bottom. As I'm getting closer to paint and wanting to start shooting some test panels, I've started looking seriously at purchasing the various sealers, primers, base, etc. (will be buying from your local guy in Garland, TX). As with most products it's cheaper per ounce to by in the larger sizes (Gal. vs Qt., Qt. vs. Pt., etc.).

I would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations (certainly don't expect you to guarantee) re "shelf life" of (for instance) buying a gallon (or quart or pint) of epoxy sealer, 2K primer, base, clear, etc. and once it is opened storing it in multiple smaller containers. The guy in Garland (as does most paint outlets) has various sizes of new metal cans and lids.

Sure, you would probably waste a little paint, but it seems that keeping free space (aka air and moisture) in the can to a minimum and not exposing the paint every time that you got ready to use some would be a good thing.

Am I off base in my thinking? I welcome your thoughts and advice.

texastomeh
Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 AM

Last photo:

The idea is great but it is really not worth the hassle.

We pretty much know that cans of activators that are unopened from the factory have a 1 in 18,000 chance of going bad and normally this will be from a pinhead hole in the welding of the can.

As far as opening a can and then it going bad as it sets we know we replace one about every 23,000 cans so actually if you seal everything good after you open the can the odds are more in your favor of the product staying good then buying a new can from us.
That sounds bad but we have no control over the can manufacturer and they can have equipment problems as well as anyone else.

I would not worry about it at all, just keep everything sealed and in a stable temp area and should not have any problems.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

dont throw away that old ice box. i have several. great for sandpaper, hardners . i even have one for my welding stuff. keeps them at a good temp and out of the moisture. when i buy paint i have it poured into qrt cans. easier to mix , less mess.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:15 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I still find adding marbles to the can to displace the air
works pretty good for making it last!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
But, JC - according to my wife, I've lost all my marbles!!!! Maybe instead, I could use some of the rocks that she says my head is full of.

Thanks for the advice Barry.

SHINE - I like the suggestion about the old refrigerator.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
I have herd that pumping in a gas like argon will displace the oxygen. have never done it pesonally. Ed ke6bnl
Old 11-13-2006, 12:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl
I have herd that pumping in a gas like argon will displace the oxygen. have never done it pesonally. Ed ke6bnl
Argon will probably work but nitrogen is normally used - just as long as the gas contains no or very little oxygen - the container has to be air tight.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

Argon is perfect if you have it handy as its very heavy.
Nitrogen is used in packing the hardeners because it is cheaper.

Argon would actually be better.

Still this is overkill for a bodyshop and I don't think its worth worrying about.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

I've had pretty good luck with hardeners, don't think I've ever had any gel on me. What I like to do is get the lid back on the container immediately, even if I'm going to make more in a bit. Then when I'm done with the container, it gets capped good and inverted for a few seconds, the theory being that any tiny air leak will be filled by hardener which will gel up later since it is in contact with air. That seals up the container and protects the rest of the hardener. I do this with paint cans too, and it seems to work OK.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.