SPI 2k Primer, or High Build primer? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Talked to Barry, and ordered a gallon of epoxy, and a gallon of yellow 2k primer.. I'm pretty excited to see this car in one color after 9 years.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

yeah, you're incorrectly stating it when you originally referred to it as a 'non-high build.' This was also one of the many conversations I've had with Barry.

Their regular 2k primer is still a high build primer in every sense of the term. It builds as much or more than the big name's high build primers, so Barry claims. He said the minor difference between the regular 2k high build and the turbo is not worth the extra cost.

I spray on 3 coats at a time, and when I sand there's a LOT coming off, which means there's also a lot that went on.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
yeah, you're incorrectly stating it when you originally referred to it as a 'non-high build.' This was also one of the many conversations I've had with Barry.

Their regular 2k primer is still a high build primer in every sense of the term. It builds as much or more than the big name's high build primers, so Barry claims. He said the minor difference between the regular 2k high build and the turbo is not worth the extra cost.

I spray on 3 coats at a time, and when I sand there's a LOT coming off, which means there's also a lot that went on.

like i told him the reg 2k is high build.

your statement about the reg 2k and turbo is kinda funny though?

i use both and can a lot of difference between the 2.

but all in all no matter what Primer you choose from SPI it will be excellent IMO
Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

that's not my statement, it was Barry's.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 AM

the difference in the 2k highbuild and the turbo high build is the curing properties. I've sprayed both and they are virtually the same, other than the curing. The turbo is more like the high-end primers from the majors, in that it cures in 30 minutes obviously at ideal temperatures and correct application.

never used the regular 2k so i cant comment on it.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Yes, there are 3 2k primers.

The Regular 2k

The High Build

The Turbo High build.

I ordered the regular.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
Yes, I am also buying epoxy.

But urethane wise, they told me to go with the regular build 2k, save $40, and not get the high build. And I can't seem to figure out why, except that they said just do more coats.
I never liked the high build primers and after trying their regular 2k I thought it was a high build primer...Its good primer but its too thick for me even just spraying my normal two coats left me a lot of sanding so I called and they recommended I use the 2k sealer instead ...problem solved...I cant imagine how thick their high build primer is why use filler at all ???? I use finishing putty instead of primer it seems faster and cheaper for me ,when I prime everything has been finished off with 320 ,the primer is just for the paint to have something to stick to...Everyone says keep your filler at a minimum and they they load everything up with a 1/2" of primer it just dont make good sense (cents) to me...
SPI's normal 2k will be fine for you,its very thick...almost too thick...
Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
I was just on the phone with SPI, and they recommend just using the regular 2K epoxy instead of the high build, and just applying extra coats. They said there is no real advantage to the high build.

Anyone heard of this with SPI? What products do you guys use?
Okay I have read over the answers to this original posting question.
I'm sure its because I'm tired after a long day and my brain isn't working.
But when people are recommending using 2k for sanding instead of the high build is the 2k they are talking about the spi epoxy? Or a different product entirely?.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

The SPI Epoxy is "Epoxy primer." The '2k' everyone is referring to is 'regular 2k primer.'

The have the 2k primer, high build primer, and turbo primer. The 2k primer IS a high build primer, just not as high building as the 'high build' primer. The 2k primer builds the same as other major brands building primer. I use it on my car and it is thick stuff. It is a building primer in every sense of the word. Barry will recommend you get the regular 2k and not the high build 2k.

And just not to confuse you, 2k actually means two component, with the second component usually being an activator. The Epoxy is a 2k product too, but in this context everyone is using it in reference to the regular primer. I tell you this just to prevent confusion for you later when you see a product that says '2k.'
Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

That is correct.

But to further confuse you, epoxy will usually be referred to as epoxy, and high build as 2K.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.