Originally Posted by mitmaks
What is the problem with these covers? I would think 1 coat of SPI epoxy and it would be pretty much ready for paint.
Well in the past when I recieved a raw cover we would have to use a mould release agent to start with. I didnt have any so I was really calling to see if there was anything else I could use, I remember the stuff smelt like vinegar...
anyways its a good thing I called because the regulay W&G remover I was going to use would have caused problems ,I needed a water born W&G ...then a gritty compound like blend prepcalled scuff stuff from presto and scuffed with a gray pad and soapy water .I would have used a red one and that would have made scratches too deep ,any sanding would have fuzzed up the whole thing and caused real trouble...Then two coats of epoxy reduced 10 - 40% (I like 10 %) but 40% woks pretty good on wet on wet production apps that need to dry quick... Worked like a champ ,with no adheasion probs......matching the paint was a whole different story,It's called brite silver and I could blend it into the 1/4's,I started off with Omini plus and it was just a tad dark so I tried some more fine aluminun and jut couldnt get the color light enough so I went back to the store and got the global base found the proper variable through the color cards ,went back and painted it again and it looked great ....until I put it on and it was just as far off as the omini plus was...so off to the dupont store I went for the chroma base which ended up also being better , still a bit dark but we couldnt get it any lighter ...so out the door it went...All the colors were blendable and would have worked well if blended but when your told paint the cover only ,you paint the cover only because the disscustomer is always right and knows whats best...funny thing is from the back it looks dead on to the deck, its only from the sides it looks off...A frustrating week but it would have been much ,much worse if I hadnt called Barry first....