Hot Rod Forum banner

Spi ??? Base coat

11K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
looked over their site..
saw primers/sealers and clears, and 3 basic color(base coats)

what are you guys using for a mixed base?

as we know some "systems" don't play nice together..

#3 ·
For my next 2 jobs, it will be SPI through out, the job after that will not be SPI through out...SPI doesn't have the colors...Yes sometimes different systems don't play nice together.....This is usually the case if you use a different manufacturer's catalyst or even reducer than the original manufacturer suggested. If you use SPI Primer, prep it properly, use Dupont base (mixed properly and allow proper flash times) and PPG clear (mixed properly with proper flash times between coats) there shouldn't be a problem related to using different branded products....If there was a problem doing this...we should all use exactly what Ford, Dodge, GM or whatever was originally put on for paint from the factory to do a repair or a blend after a vehicle has been involved in a collision...and I don't believe that there is one body shop that does...I've sold PPG, Dupont and Nexa to GM dealerships, Ford dealerships, etc...they all seem to work and play nice when they are used properly.

Ray

#4 ·
That old myth all started when the catilyzed primers and paints started coming out years ago ..when spraying a 2k over a lacquer you'll almost always have trouble later on....now days everything is 2k so theres not to much trouble unless you use one brand of hardener with another brand of paint or primer...

#5 ·
spi

Over on the streetrodding forum, those guys are really pushing the SPI primer that is made in georgia. I am not big on materials, that aren't all the same. I didn't ask but the fellas over there talked ...just... about primer with me.This is a one man company. and hes down there, and i'm up here, should i suddenly have poroblems. i Guess i got used to the old ppg K200 yellow . What do you use and should i adapt to this new primer SPI thanks bob s

#14 ·
Over on the streetrodding forum, those guys are really pushing the SPI primer that is made in georgia. I am not big on materials, that aren't all the same. I didn't ask but the fellas over there talked ...just... about primer with me.This is a one man company. and hes down there, and i'm up here, should i suddenly have poroblems. i Guess i got used to the old ppg K200 yellow . What do you use and should i adapt to this new primer SPI thanks bob s

If you try the SPI products, you will NOT be disappointed in any way. At one time or another we have used just about everything on the market from the cheapest to the highest and SPI primers and clear are by far superior in every way. And like has been stated already Barry is just a phone call away 24/7.

Kelly

#8 ·
Personally I've never had an actual problem but I do call the hot line for advice before I do something ...The other day I called because I had to prep a 2012 Nisson bumper cover that came un primed I not only got the proper proceedure but I got a short history on all the problems with Nisson and totota covers...I always get Barry himself on the phone ,The man is a walking tech book and knows more about paint and materials than anyone I've ever met ...I feel smarter every time we talk because I am....I've been in this biz for over 35 yrs and it amazes me how much I dont know.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.