Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   SPI clear over Omni "plus" basecoat (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/spi-clear-over-omni-plus-basecoat-195528.html)

HVAC Phil 03-31-2011 03:15 PM

SPI clear over Omni "plus" basecoat
 
Anyone use the SPI clear over the omni basecoats? I've been using the omni line with the MC161 clear with good results. After reading a ton of posts of how good the SPI universal clear was, thought about giving it a try. What apeals to me is the cut/buff process can be done "whenever" without killing yourself sanding it.

jeremyb 03-31-2011 03:27 PM

i'm sure it will be fine, but putting a superior clear over an inferior basecoat doesn't not make the basecoat last or hold up any better.

HVAC Phil 03-31-2011 04:44 PM

I'm really not looking for it to hold up any better, as these will both be cars removed from dailey use, weather. They will only be driven, weekends, shows, nice days, etc.

I really like the fact that i can wait to sand/buff the SPI clear as time allows for me, time is not always on my side. The Omni clear i have used held up great, polished nice, held great shine....but, it is tough to sand after a week or two has gone by. :mad:

JohnnyK81 03-31-2011 06:06 PM

Why does the SPI clear remain easy to buff? Should it not harden completely after awhile?

HVAC Phil 03-31-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
Why does the SPI clear remain easy to buff? Should it not harden completely after awhile?

From everything i've read, many have said it cuts/buffs easy in 2 days, weeks or months even though it has hardened.

jeremyb 03-31-2011 07:15 PM

it is just a slower curing, softer clear which is what you want on a restoration or show quality job. the softer the clear the more flexible it is and the more chip resistant it is. you can fix a surface scratch or flaw much easer than you can fix a chip from a harder clear.

i've sanded and buffed universal with slow activator in the summer, months after spraying and still did it with ease. even after full cure i believe it still sands and buffs better than other high dollar clears.

Hotbo 03-31-2011 07:52 PM

Omni is like Nason belongs on yard ornaments,and yes i have used both


UV clear is wonderful,but why would you want to use it over Junk base is beyond me,keep using junk clear and be Happy...


Just sayin Travis...

HVAC Phil 04-01-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotbo
Omni is like Nason belongs on yard ornaments,and yes i have used both


UV clear is wonderful,but why would you want to use it over Junk base is beyond me,keep using junk clear and be Happy...


Just sayin Travis...

And you make this statement based on what? Have you personally used the Omni products? I painted my work van 5 years ago with Omni, sits outside everyday, driven in winter weather, paint still looks as good as the day it was applied. If you had problems, must have been application.

The original Omni basecoats sucked, coverage was poor.The "plus" basecoats cover just as well as the DBC, just cost half the price.

deadbodyman 04-01-2011 03:29 AM

I think the reason a lot of guys dont like the Nason is because it takes a certain amount of skill to make it look as good as the high dollar base plus they work at a shop that buys it for them.
I havent used the omini plus base but Spi "IS" a low dollar clear it just looks and sprays like the high dollar stuff and it'll work just fine over your base ,If you like the 161 your really gonna love the Universal clear.

HVAC Phil 04-01-2011 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I think the reason a lot of guys dont like the Nason is because it takes a certain amount of skill to make it look as good as the high dollar base plus they work at a shop that buys it for them.
I havent used the omini plus base but Spi "IS" a low dollar clear it just looks and sprays like the high dollar stuff and it'll work just fine over your base ,If you like the 161 your really gonna love the Universal clear.

Thats the info i was looking for. Yeah i know the high dollar bases lay down easier, but i've never had a problem with the omni.
Thanks alot DB, i will purchase the SPI universal clear.

deadbodyman 04-01-2011 04:14 AM

the mix ratio is 1;1 so you get two sprayable gallons for around 200.00 some guys might call that "cheap steet" or "crap clear" I call it a great deal...I've used it over many bases top line and bottom line.

jeremyb 04-01-2011 05:25 AM

what guys forget is, 5-6 years ago that $200 was about the same was what the other majors were back then. that's how much it has gone up.... i remember when sikkens was $50 a sprayable quart for clear....and that was retail.

good product is good product....no matter the price. yea the price of spi draws you into it, but once you use it, it doesn't even matter. i'd pay the same price as sikkens for the spi if thats what barry wanted to charge.

Hotbo 04-01-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HVAC Phil
And you make this statement based on what? Have you personally used the Omni products? I painted my work van 5 years ago with Omni, sits outside everyday, driven in winter weather, paint still looks as good as the day it was applied. If you had problems, must have been application.

The original Omni basecoats sucked, coverage was poor.The "plus" basecoats cover just as well as the DBC, just cost half the price.

LOL! i said i have used both read my statement...

i have used gallons and i mean gallons of Omni junk clears(MC161 and 270 production clear.) :welcome:

i have used Omni and Omni plus bases and in no way can they compare to anything in Deltron series bases.


you seem to already have your mind made up since your van looks good still.


so i say carry on with what you think is good...


and just for the record i never had a single problem.Junk is junk no matter how much you rub on it and think its good!

Travis.

deadbodyman 04-01-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyb

good product is good product....no matter the price. yea the price of spi draws you into it, but once you use it, it doesn't even matter. i'd pay the same price as sikkens for the spi if thats what barry wanted to charge.

:nono: Shhhhhh :sweat: :sweat:
Barry might take up golfing in Caribbeans and 1000.00 massages complete with manicures....just like the big wigs...guess whos gonna pay for those nice clean nails?????

Lizer 04-02-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman
the mix ratio is 1;1 so you get two sprayable gallons for around 200.00 some guys might call that "cheap steet" or "crap clear" I call it a great deal...I've used it over many bases top line and bottom line.

In a painting class I was in we received gallons upon gallons of some cheeeeap donated clear (I don't even know who the company was). When you poured it out it was so yellow it actually looked like beer. Hence the term we gave it, 'beer clear.'


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.