Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   SPI clearcoat instructions...6 coats??? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/spi-clearcoat-instructions-6-coats-87143.html)

fish56 04-17-2006 12:26 PM

SPI clearcoat instructions...6 coats???

I just read the SPI "perfect paintjob" instruction they had on their site. It calls for 3 coats of clear, cut/sand out the orange peel, let car set in sun for a day, then respray another 3 coats of clear.
Has anyone done this? Seems excessive.

Thanks

BarryK 04-17-2006 12:51 PM

It is not excessive, its extremely excessive.
Its not for everyday painting such as collision work where you would do two coats and buff.

Everything in the perfect paint job is excessive for the solvent sake and trying to do a job that may need to look good for many of years if done as a show job or a high end Restoration where more coats of material will be used than a normal everyday job.

By the way the clear is made for mils like this where with every day clears this type of painting would be going back-wards for durability and depth and clarity of the clear.

Not for the faint hearted for sure.

jcclark 04-17-2006 01:15 PM

Very interesting Barry.
I've read in some of the "LowRider" magazines where some of the
graphics paint jobs had 2 to 3 gallons of clear on the car.
And these are the little "rice burners"!!!!
How can they get away with that????
(I don't see how they install hardware, like handles & locks with
:pimp: that thick of paint)

OneMoreTime 04-17-2006 01:39 PM

Waaay back when

We used to shoot many coats of lacquer and then sand between coats to get that perfect shine..lot of paint wound up on the floor that way..

Graphics guys still do that sort of thing when they have lots of different colors in a design..

Sam

67goat 04-17-2006 01:40 PM

I RESTORED A 67 CAMARO SS LAST YEAR, HOUSE OF KOLOR ORION SILVER, 3 COATS OF CLEAR. WENT BACK THE NEXT DAY, SANDED ALL TRASH AND PEEL OUT WITH 600 MAKING SURE NOT TOO BURN THROUGH, LET IT SIT A DAY THEN 3 MORE COATS OF CLEAR, THEN CUT AND BUFF, YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE, I ONLY DO THIS TO CARS THAT ARE GETTING RESTORED, NO SPOT REPAIR OF COURSE, And EVEN NOT ALL OVERALLS IT IS ALL IN WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS TO SPEND AND HOW FAR THEY WANNA GO, BUT ONE THING IS FOR SURE, WHEN YOU USE THIS METHOD, THE CLEAR LOOKS ELBOW DEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!THANKS, MIKE.

BarryK 04-17-2006 02:01 PM

^67Goat

Mike,
the bottom line is you may have the equivalent of 4 coats left when done with all your sanding and buffing.

People that do this kind of work sometimes will block the first three coats with 400-600 and then a second time with 800 before re-clearing.

Some will wet sand with 400 - 800 and then wet-sand with 1000 and then 1500 and then 2000 before buffing.

This probably should not even be on the web for general view, but the decision was made to do that because even if someone is doing just an everyday two coat paint job there is a wealth of education in the article as far as flashing solvents, dry times and proper grade of reducers in the base for maximum clarity and how they affect the final job.

fish56 04-17-2006 06:45 PM

So................for most paint jobs, even ones that would be considered "show", 3 coats would be more than enough???
I noticed, also, that the SPI instruction recommended spraying all wet coats. I did not see where they mentioned a "tack" coat.
I can just envision the runs I'd make.

I'm seriously considering their paints. Really wish they had an orange or two to choose from, instead of black, white, and reds.
I'll probably go with black. I know it shows everything, but I figure for the small garage I have to use, I will spray in pieces and reassemble VERY carefully.

302 Z28 04-17-2006 08:07 PM

There is an old saying, if you ain't got no runs, you ain't applying enough clear.

Vince

BondoKing 04-17-2006 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302/Z28
There is an old saying, if you ain't got no runs, you ain't applying enough clear.

Vince

WORD That is the trufe fo sho

adtkart 04-18-2006 05:18 AM

Keep in mind that runs can be sanded and buffed out. If you have a dry spot when you are done, then that is a different story.

Aaron

rusty428cj 04-18-2006 09:53 AM

I have sprayed alot of SPI HS clear and it is very hard to get a run. You would have to try real hard to make it run. I tried to spray some Diamont DC92 to get rid of the little bit I had left over. I applied it just like the HS nothing but runs.

jcclark 04-18-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BondoKing
WORD That is the trufe fo sho

Bondoking:
They're not talking about runs like yours where the entire
side of the car is dripping and puddeling on the floor.
When you have half a gallon of clear on the floor that's spraying to
much. :pimp:

302 Z28 04-18-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcclark
Bondoking:
They're not talking about runs like yours where the entire
side of the car is dripping and puddeling on the floor.
When you have half a gallon of clear on the floor that's spraying to
much. :pimp:

Oh man that was cold...real cold :pain:

Vince

Springer 04-18-2006 12:41 PM

every bike I do gets a min of 6 coats depending on the graffics. remember alot gets sanded off . Never had a comeback due to clear failure.This is my bike that I just finished it has 7 coats of HOK but sanded with 500 after 3 ,then again after the 5th and followed with 2 flow coats
rear fender phantom flames
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3382/springer103xo.jpg

Gas tank, And see the phantom flames live up to ther name as the tank is flamed also. Just cant be seen at this angle

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3760/springer46kl.jpg

have to get enough clear or u will rub thru the clear and ruin maybe 100 hours of paint ..

I would never do this on production work ..

baddbob 04-18-2006 01:56 PM

Springer, Nice DOI! The surface is perfect and she looks deeeeeeeeeeeeep.