SPI clears and primers question.. - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Why I don't do much cold weather work.
You can play with activators and such but the bottom line is it's cold and stuff get's REAL SLOW. Heat cure's just seem to be bad news as it skim's over and STILL has to finish which just prolongs the process. I've had MORE problems trying to speed things up than IF i'd left them alone.
Bottom line is,

Winter SUCKS.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2005, 06:04 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

One of the unfortunate things about living in a cold climate is that you have to pay for heat to make up for Mother Nature.

I sprayed the Universal Clear a couple of weeks ago. I had the temp at about 80-84 deg while spraying and for 4 hours after. That may have been a little higher than what you want to pay for, but worked for me. I finished spraying at 5 P.M. and then turned the heat down, and it was 60 deg or less in the morning when I went out there. I used the normal activator when I sprayed, because of the temp I was at, and had no problems. I am pretty sure that I could have sanded it after the 4 hours, if my wife hadn't had other plans.

I probably would have either used the fast activator, a mixture of the fast and normal, or raised the heat. Keeping the heat in the higher range for longer would probably have helped, as it always seems to cool off alot faster than it warms up. As for using a heat lamp, I personally don't think that is a good idea, as the metal is cooler than the surface of the paint. It would feel drier than it really is, because it is drier on the outside.

JMO

Aaron
Old 11-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Custom builder and painter

Last journal entry: Another test fit of the axle
Last photo:

well ill just add a little fast activator next time and keep it a little warmer throughout the night..
Old 11-19-2005, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

the fact that you can mix the activators is great. i dont even buy the normal anymore. fast and slow and thats it. barry told me a 50/50 mix of the two would be within 10% of normal so its just one less thing i have to keep in the cabinet. doesn't matter if you use fast or not, it might help slightly but if it gets cold and stays cold overnight its going to go slow. my shop temps during the night goto about 60 like yours. in the summer i can sand and buff next day. during the winter months i wait atleast 3 days.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

so your telling me that my only solution is to leave the heat at 70 degrees all night? the accelerator won't help in this situation..

i'm also assuming that it will buff better when cured more throurghly...

im just saying on some jobs I can't wait 3 days to buff.. for a few panels on a collision I have to be able to buff the second day, so i will need a solution or the universal clear will not cut it for me in the winter..
Old 11-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

well, you have to remember that any kind of curing pretty much stops at 55 degrees on any brand or type of clear so its going to depend on exactly how low the temp is. i have never used barry's accelerator so i cant say but if you keep the temp just a couple degrees higher, a hair over 60 then use the fast act. you should be ok. i'm sure the accelerator will help a little too if needed but the closer you get to that 55 mark the more you are really going to be extending the cureout.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

well like i said the last time i turned it down to 60 after like 4hrs or so.. this time i'll use the fast hardener and leave it at 65 just to see how it goes.. and then adjust from there i guess...
wonder if barry has a suggestion for what combination to use
Old 11-19-2005, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

65, fast hardener, you'll be fine.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

ok thanks for your help.. as i'm new to this clear.. I think i like it but i just want to fine tune before i start ordering..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.