Hot Rod Forum banner

SPI Epoxy Q's

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  S10xGN 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Well, the weather finally cooperated and I was able to my frame epoxied today. Somehow managed to get a few runs though. When is a good time to deal with these, while it's curing or after it sets? Tech sheet says recoat after 30 minutes, but it's still pretty tacky. Should I wait to overcoat?

Thanks!

Russ

#3 ·
The tech sheet is spec'd for spraying in 70's temperatures and you would be safe to recoat in 30 minutes if the primer is curing good. But if the temps are lower and if the frame was cool then the curing will be delayed and the recoat time extended. Epoxy requires good temps to cure properly.

#4 ·
Well, 18 hrs later it was set just fine. Runs all sanded out OK. Was able to get my 2 coats of Hammerite silver sprayed too. Frame is now finished and awaiting assembly after the Hammerite cures.

BTW, the Hammerite needs thinning to spray. Literature says almost anything can be used to thin, I used lacquer thinner about 3:1 and it sprayed great. Dry to touch in 30 minutes!

Thanks!

Russ

#8 ·
I almost went, but I was busy up until 5:00 or so (then wore out afterwards).

From (white) SPI epoxy on Saturday, to (silver) Hammerite on Sunday, to fully assembled on Monday. Looks too nice to sell now! At least the frame turned out good, body is all rusted up and will require many days of work to "derust" again...

Russ

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.