SPI Epoxy as Sealer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 11:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

SPI Epoxy as Sealer

I am ready to paint the Nova. In fact, I used the reduced SPI epoxy as a sealer in the jambs, etc., then had to leave town for a couple of weeks. I had planned to do the jambing (seal, base, clear) then the rest of the car. What do I have to do to the sealer already laid down before I base it? I was going to just scuff it with a gray pad then go ahead with the base. Am I OK with that, or is there something else I should do? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I would sand it with some 400 and then base and clear.. the tech sheet tells you to scuff and re spray 1 coat of it if you have went past re coat window.. As I understand it, the base will bite into the epoxy and have better adhesion, vs. it being cured and like concrete.. either way it is little work..

If you choose to reseal, scuff it, spray one reduced even medium wet coat.. let flash for at a few hours ( tech sheet says minimum of 30 minutes for 1 coat, 1 hour flash for 2) then bc/cc
Old 09-06-2006, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

If the sealer went on smooth with no texture problems then just scuff it with a scotchbrite and apply another coat of sealer, let that set up overnight and apply your base and clear the next day for best results. If there's any texture problems in the old epoxy just sand them out like BK recomended or just sand it all-the main thing is get the surface scuffed up some for the new coat of epoxy to adhere to.

You can paint over the old epoxy but adhesion wouldn't be as good as painting over fresh epoxy.

You can paint over epoxy after a minimum 1/2 hour wait but the as sprayed gloss ends up being better if you let the epoxy set overnight or longer (within the recoat window). Hope this makes sense, Bob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.