spi epoxy test - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
According to the tech sheet it's 72-120 hours!!

Thanks for the tip Shine.

Brian
Wow, they've updated the tech sheet then. It used to say 24-48, maybe 72 hr. It also used to call the epoxy a self-etching primer, which they no longer do. I'm still using the info from when I started using it in 2010. But I know this product line so well from talking to Barry so much I don't really use the tech sheets for these anyways.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok, so I just ordered my first SPI epoxy primer. One thing I noticed in the tech sheet was the 30 minute induction period.

We strongly recommend you activate the epoxy by first stirring very well and then
allowing it to set/ induce for 30 minutes. Stir once again before spraying and the longer
you wait between spraying your coats of epoxy the better.

These two things tell me that it isn't going to totally insoluable for many days, or maybe never if this isn't done properly. I would think, maybe this is the big difference in one test to another.

Brian

Brian,
I go out of my way never to answer a problem with SPI on here or respond to an SPI question, as I don’t feel it is right BUT I will this as this may be educational to a point.

You may remember back in 70-90” epoxies did require induction and in short it was an activator issue where not 100% compatible, this was changed and then we had no induction unless you added reducer.

We started the induction deal about 2 years ago or maybe a year ago with putting stickers on top of can, Holy Crap, I bet the tech line had 500 calls from body shops that wanted to know why.
The reason we did this was to help the do-it-yourselfers because we know this.
Induction does make it spray better, not much but a little and induction also helps when the activator is not mixed in good as it must be mixed again before it is put in gun.
Also helps if borderline cold metal as far as curing to a point, as well as perhaps not having proper air filtration on the air system.

You do not have to induce but SPI has acquired a lot of hobbyists over the years and this has cut down on the problem calls.

Pot life is 4-9 days, pour back in painter’s pail (quart mixing cup), do not leave in gun as pigment will settle out in about two hours and all I do is put a gallon paint can on the painter’s pail quart and I usually can stir up and use the next weekend.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Wow, they've updated the tech sheet then. It used to say 24-48, maybe 72 hr. It also used to call the epoxy a self-etching primer, which they no longer do. I'm still using the info from when I started using it in 2010. But I know this product line so well from talking to Barry so much I don't really use the tech sheets for these anyways.
Yea we killed the self etching, we fist said that in 99 so people would know you did not need a self etch primer first but after fielding 1000's of calls asking if we had acid in the primer, figured it was time to come off.
LOL (never has been in a plastic jug or glass bottle.)
Old 06-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
Yea we killed the self etching, we fist said that in 99 so people would know you did not need a self etch primer first but after fielding 1000's of calls asking if we had acid in the primer, figured it was time to come off.
LOL (never has been in a plastic jug or glass bottle.)
Barry, your description on your web site still says "Self etching".

Epoxy Primer

Key Benefits

Self-etching epoxy primer doesn't require the use of an acid-etch primer

Excellent for use over fiberglass or SMC

Excellent adhesion to aluminum or steel

Brian
Old 06-21-2013, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
Brian,
I go out of my way never to answer a problem with SPI on here or respond to an SPI question, as I donít feel it is right BUT I will this as this may be educational to a point.

You may remember back in 70-90Ē epoxies did require induction and in short it was an activator issue where not 100% compatible, this was changed and then we had no induction unless you added reducer.

We started the induction deal about 2 years ago or maybe a year ago with putting stickers on top of can, Holy Crap, I bet the tech line had 500 calls from body shops that wanted to know why.
The reason we did this was to help the do-it-yourselfers because we know this.
Induction does make it spray better, not much but a little and induction also helps when the activator is not mixed in good as it must be mixed again before it is put in gun.
Also helps if borderline cold metal as far as curing to a point, as well as perhaps not having proper air filtration on the air system.

You do not have to induce but SPI has acquired a lot of hobbyists over the years and this has cut down on the problem calls.

Pot life is 4-9 days, pour back in painterís pail (quart mixing cup), do not leave in gun as pigment will settle out in about two hours and all I do is put a gallon paint can on the painterís pail quart and I usually can stir up and use the next weekend.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Brian
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Quote:
There is nothing I have repeated more over the years on the forums than....

"FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS TECH SHEET!"

Brian
Ain't that the truth!!
We will have that inscribed on your tombstone.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

I would like to go on public record saying a big THANK YOU, to Barry. I called him to ask a few questions this morning and ended up with a wealth of new knowledge. He has once again exceeded my expectations with his kindness and help. I would like to apologize for keeping the tech line tied up for so long, but we had a nice conversation about products and opinions (and a few random things). Anyways, I just wanted to take a second and express my sincere thanks to Barry and all the great folks at SPI for there knowledge, help, hard work, and of course the best products on the market.

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
I would like to go on public record saying a big THANK YOU, to Barry. I called him to ask a few questions this morning and ended up with a wealth of new knowledge. He has once again exceeded my expectations with his kindness and help. I would like to apologize for keeping the tech line tied up for so long, but we had a nice conversation about products and opinions (and a few random things). Anyways, I just wanted to take a second and express my sincere thanks to Barry and all the great folks at SPI for there knowledge, help, hard work, and of course the best products on the market.

Kelly
Good thing I can only give you one thank you...

Mr.Barry you keep doing the good things you do Sr..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (06-24-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

Brian, another SPI epoxy tip, have some left over, save it, next day or two you need to shoot some but don't have enough, just mix in a new quantity equal to or greater than the existing quantity, let induce and spray. The pot life starts over!
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Fool For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

As a regular user of the SPI epoxy, I do go through quite a bit of it. Within the last year alone have started using as a final blocking primer and would also like to give Barry a BIG THANK YOU for such a good easy to use product with excellent results and will continue to keep using this in the future. Only thing that scares me is the fact that most products I take a liking to end up being discontinued for some reason or another, hope that does not happen here.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

I'm looking forward to the wife calling me to tell me it got there. I am dying to get my door welded back together and I need that primer to do so.

Brian
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 PM

Last photo:

Ordered me another gallon today...

Big thank you to the great guy's At SPI...
Old 06-30-2013, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Ok, I sprayed my first SPI epoxy on Friday night about 8:00.

The next morning I did a lacquer rub and it did soften it, this was at about 12 hours. I don't know how much I would have had to rub to get thru, but it did soften it. I forgot to take a picture, but I did get some gray on the rag, a LITTLE gray, but I imagine if I rubbed it for an hour I could go thru. ??
I checked again today an NOTHING, I mean NO-THING. I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed, HARD, it did NOTHING.

I tried it with Lacquer thinner, cheap enamel reducer and high quality urethane reducer, NO-THING.

So far I am liking it.

Brian

Old 06-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok, I sprayed my first SPI epoxy on Friday night about 8:00.

The next morning I did a lacquer rub and it did soften it, this was at about 12 hours. I don't know how much I would have had to rub to get thru, but it did soften it. I forgot to take a picture, but I did get some gray on the rag, a LITTLE gray, but I imagine if I rubbed it for an hour I could go thru. ??
I checked again today an NOTHING, I mean NO-THING. I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed, HARD, it did NOTHING.

I tried it with Lacquer thinner, cheap enamel reducer and high quality urethane reducer, NO-THING.

So far I am liking it.

Brian

You can't help but like it...
Welcome to the gang,, We will be sending you your Thug Patch..
Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
You can't help but like it...
Welcome to the gang,, We will be sending you your Thug Patch..
Me too, Me too. i want mine. i want mine....Me too....

Good stuff!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.