spi epoxy test - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Ok, I sprayed my first SPI epoxy on Friday night about 8:00.

The next morning I did a lacquer rub and it did soften it, this was at about 12 hours. I don't know how much I would have had to rub to get thru, but it did soften it. I forgot to take a picture, but I did get some gray on the rag, a LITTLE gray, but I imagine if I rubbed it for an hour I could go thru. ??
I checked again today an NOTHING, I mean NO-THING. I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed, HARD, it did NOTHING.

I tried it with Lacquer thinner, cheap enamel reducer and high quality urethane reducer, NO-THING.

So far I am liking it.

Brian

Do we detect a possible convert here???

Now, to complete your testing, grab a piece of wet/dry paper, 220-400 and do a normal wet sanding run. It does sand a bit harder then any of the standard 2Ks, but will, which the DuPont/Nason or PPG wont.

(I've been a SPI thug though patchless for several years now)

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Do we detect a possible convert here???

Now, to complete your testing, grab a piece of wet/dry paper, 220-400 and do a normal wet sanding run. It does sand a bit harder then any of the standard 2Ks, but will, which the DuPont/Nason or PPG wont.

(I've been a SPI thug though patchless for several years now)
When I fixed my cowl and doors last winter I shot about 5 coats on my repaired area about 3 hours apart. I then gave plenty of time to cure, blocked it and painted it after a seal coat. (had been over 7 days)

The repair is really great so far. No shrinkage, no sand scratches, etc. DeadBodyMan had posted he blocked it like 2k. I called Barry and explained to him I wanted to do it this way because I suspected there was some laquer on the cowl that had never been stripped. He approved the plan and the results were everything I could hope for.

I really want my patch.

John
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Guy's y'all need to hang tight !!!!!!
I had a talk with the Vice President of the thug gang and we had to do something we didn't want to do..

Well .... Since we had a over flow of new thugs join the gang,,, We are now on back order on the Patch's... And may need to get more made Over sea's...

No All joking a side,, Mr.Barry I hope you don't get mad at me... I had to do it !!!!!!

I better back off now...
Old 07-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

You know Randy, this may in all reality be a great marketing endeavour for Barry and SPI...Why not sell jackets that say SPI our Southern Polyurethane "Thug" T shirts and jackets...I'd buy one...we might even get sponsors like Jon from the Forum to sponsor them a little bit, if we put the URL for this site on the clothing as well as Barry's Web site.

Just a thought, I'd buy them just so people would ask we what it meant...what a great opening or Segway to get this forum promoted and SPI...

Just a thought.

Ray
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Guy's y'all need to hang tight !!!!!!
I had a talk with the Vice President of the thug gang and we had to do something we didn't want to do..

Well .... Since we had a over flow of new thugs join the gang,,, We are now on back order on the Patch's... And may need to get more made Over sea's...

No All joking a side,, Mr.Barry I hope you don't get mad at me... I had to do it !!!!!!

I better back off now...
this thug bull**** is idiotic and you're just downright aggravating. Jesus Christ, just shut the hell up already. That or get a full size cut out of Barry so you can masturbate to it every night and keep your crap off here. We get it; you like SPI. So do I, but I don't need to have a verbal orgasm every time it comes up.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
this thug bull**** is idiotic and you're just downright aggravating. Jesus Christ, just shut the hell up already. That or get a full size cut out of Barry so you can masturbate to it every night and keep your crap off here. We get it; you like SPI. So do I, but I don't need to have a verbal orgasm every time it comes up.
Oh my God,, Really..

Well first thing... I thought this Thug **** was Idiotic Too... But Since everyone is having a little fun with it.. I thought I would too... But I see where we Stand...
Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Ya Know Lizer, I respect many of your posts because you do very often give honest and respectable information. I hope you don't get offended but, your last post was a little strong. I'm sure Randy was only to make light of the fact that many people will shoot out critisism about this product, any product and they often go to far. SPI has a great product...maybe cut a bit of slack here, Randy is a knowledgeable guy who is exuberant with respect to SPI and I'm sure he wasn't serious and there could have been much worse said.

With Respect
Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Ya Know Lizer, I respect many of your posts because you do very often give honest and respectable information. I hope you don't get offended but, your last post was a little strong. I'm sure Randy was only to make light of the fact that many people will shoot out critisism about this product, any product and they often go to far. SPI has a great product...maybe cut a bit of slack here, Randy is a knowledgeable guy who is exuberant with respect to SPI and I'm sure he wasn't serious and there could have been much worse said.

With Respect
Ray
It's all good Mr.Ray..
I don't lost sleep over things like this... I just don't forget them..
Just funny how everyone else can say what they want about it.. I'm Done..
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
Lizer, you need to re-load your "humor app" it appears to have a problem syncing.

Brian
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post

With Respect
Ray
It was supposed to be strong Ray. Once or twice he does this, sure, hehe (though I never found it funny). Constantly? **** no.

Ray, I absolutely promise you that once you move beyond the circle jerks here there are a thousand people out there reading who think the same way I do. Fanboyism is off putting, even if it is a good product. Effective marketing moves people, not obnoxious marketing.

Last edited by Lizer; 07-02-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Put my patch on a tee shirt hey Brian try sanding it then do the tests again....LOL
Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
hey Brian try sanding it then do the tests again....LOL
If I could ask ,what is meant by this statement? That it will then come off?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Well,, I will be the first to apologize to Mr Barry if this JOKING hurt him and any way,,(don't think it has),, And yes I do like it a lot,,, But Most of all Because Of the Man Mr.Barry is....

Mr.Barry.. Sorry for trying to turn this Idiotic Thug thing into a joke..

Now when someone come's on a board calling people THUG'S because we like something,, I have a problem with that.. And to TRY and change the problem with a few joke's that everyone played Right into...

Young Man.... I do realise just how easy it is to Make the comment's you made to me when Your a 1000 miles away,,, Very sad and Childish..

Now again.. If someone didn't like My joking,, Sorry..
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Well,, I will be the first to apologize to Mr Barry if this JOKING hurt him and any way,,(don't think it has),, And yes I do like it a lot,,, But Most of all Because Of the Man Mr.Barry is....

Mr.Barry.. Sorry for trying to turn this Idiotic Thug thing into a joke..

Now when someone come's on a board calling people THUG'S because we like something,, I have a problem with that.. And to TRY and change the problem with a few joke's that everyone played Right into...

Young Man.... I do realise just how easy it is to Make the comment's you made to me when Your a 1000 miles away,,, Very sad and Childish..

Now again.. If someone didn't like My joking,, Sorry..

Randy - keep it up!! It's all in good fun. Regardless of whatever you do or whatever you say in a crowd of folks, there are always one or two that take offense. Lizer - while I don't know him, nor do I have any bones to pick with him, just doesn't agree with what is being said here. If I may give Lizer any advice, just don't don't read these fun posts and possibly consider unsubscribing from the thread - but suggest you don't bash the fun others are having.

Imperialman - nothing will happen to SPI epoxy after sanding as long as it's fully cured as MARTINSR (Brian) found
Dave W
NEW INTERIORS (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Randy - keep it up!! It's all in good fun. Regardless of whatever you do or whatever you say in a crowd of folks, there are always one or two that take offense. Lizer - while I don't know him, nor do I have any bones to pick with him, just doesn't agree with what is being said here. If I may give Lizer any advice, just don't don't read these fun posts and possibly consider unsubscribing from the thread - but suggest you don't bash the fun others are having.

Imperialman - nothing will happen to SPI epoxy after sanding as long as it's fully cured as MARTINSR (Brian) found
Dave W
It's all good Mr.Dave.... I can't say any thing right sometimes...
I even been told off here before about how I welcome people....
Go figure !!!!

Glade someone thought it was funny...
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.