spi epoxy test - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41 Buick custom View Post
This is the point I was trying to make. We have a thread that was started for no good reason except to start a argument. We have learned nothing, everyone still has there own opinion,and anyone that read the post to learn something about painting has probably stopped in disgusts. Why does this have to happen. Who really cares what paint I use or what paint you use. If they dont like your favorite why do you even care. It's not a personal affront to you. If people would stop playing into this it would not last long.
excuse me but it was stated that the epoxy would wash off with thinner . not so . i took the time to spray out a test panel and test it. you obviously have a burr under your saddle about spi so why not just stay out of threads about ? you and the other two complaining added nothing to this thread except to piss and moan. i posted this same test on another site . difference is there are not any whiners there complaining about spi .
i also use ppg color . is it ok to mention it ? how about prospray ? should i check with you before posting anything ? sorry i did not realize you were the new internet police .

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (06-15-2013), tech69 (06-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

THANK GOD I TRIED SPI PRIMER !!!!!!

Stop B****ing about SPI until you really try it......Just maybe you will like it as well,,,, If not move on... I still don't know what the he** bit you on your a** about SPI primer.... If it's what you read,,, Don't read it...
Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

Well, actually the internet police would be those saying unless you have something good to say about SPI you can't say anything at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizer For This Useful Post:
Pats55 (06-17-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

if you have something negative about a product please post it . i can assure you if i found a better product i would post about it . i can also assure you if the product did not live up to it's claims i would raise cane about it. i do this for a living . i can not afford a failure . which in case would be disassembling a finished car and starting over .
i first read about it here . after using it for many years i am grateful to those who used it and recommended it.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Guys, what you are seeing is what a paint rep sees everyday. You go into a shop and the guys says THAT PAINT SUCKS and goes on and on about some time when he tried it and it sucked and failed and wrinkled and fisheyed and peeled and the color didn't match and on and on. The twelve shops in town that are using it every day don't have a problem and will tell you how much they love it, but listening to this guy would lead you to believe it was junk. The guy isn't evil, he is expressing his experience that's all. His experience was all bad for what ever reason. He isn't evil for goodness sakes.

Brian
Old 06-15-2013, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
if you have something negative about a product please post it . i can assure you if i found a better product i would post about it . i can also assure you if the product did not live up to it's claims i would raise cane about it. i do this for a living . i can not afford a failure . which in case would be disassembling a finished car and starting over .
i first read about it here . after using it for many years i am grateful to those who used it and recommended it.
Well I don't go out of my way to complain about a product and bring a bad light to somebody, but if it comes up, I will share my experiences. I will, however, go out of my way to share positive experiences.

When I have a failure...and I'm a pretty analytical guy, it's how I pay the bills...most often times I first have to question myself whether it's ANY product. And if I'm still not satisfied, then I call the respective tech line before airing it. The reason being, I could be very inaccurately representing a product due to failure of my own methods. And not being a professional, let's just say that's more than likely what the situation is going to be.

Now with that being said, if the tech line is a bunch of *******s to me, well then I am sure as hell going to air that. I want them to tell me how to use their product better, not be a dick to me for using their product.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

After reading this thread over and yesterday I was PMed about another Epoxy product, I checked it out and found a thread about that very product on this site in 2006. Yes SPI was mentioned as an alternative but, no one bashed the other product in question. In fact, even people that used SPI claimed that it was a good product. I've only been on this forum for about 8 1/2 months and I'm confused, I've read that SPI is a good product but I haven't really seen anybody getting beat up over using something else. I have however heard all too many times about people that claim to having received a difficult time from other members about using anything but SPI.

"41 Buick Custom", I have nothing against you, I don't know you and you do sound like an intelligent individual, in order to help me better understand, could you point out posts where people have insulted or abused other members for not using SPI? I would like to read the entire thread and analyse for myself where all this angst is coming from...that may seem like a waist of time and maybe it is but I like to be informed and don't want to make errors that others may have made.

I have been a rep for several major paint suppliers, I've tried to be honest about the good and the bad about each company's product. I've told my customers in advance to not use a product before the company pulled it off the market, I've even recommended a competitor's product if it would better suite the needs of my customer. Compared to what I was using the SPI product I now use works better for me, that's me, if there is something better for someone else then that's what they should use.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
imperialman67 (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

Hello porchdog/shine your tests just confirmed what I tested New Jersey 65 to 70 brushed Georgia 85 sprayed 18 hours later a little bit came off. Not a big deal. My question to you as you know I'm working on 55. I went to try five site. There was a thread where you stated " I guess everybody heard that this epoxy came off with lacquer thinner 'One guy responded I did not see that thread. The question was not answered.and then a bunch more posts some reference to some people stay in Motel 6.it seems that this is your favorite topic of conversation. Well anyway just an observation on my part. PS my wife forces me to stay at Holiday inn against my will.

Last edited by Pats55; 06-15-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 PM

If you noticed I've never said anything about the good or bad about any product mentioned here. I'm not the one that came up the name SPI thugs. I have in no way said anything bad about anyone on this site. I never would. I don't know why it is so important that so many take offence to the idea of getting paint comments into a separate forum so people are not afraid to post questions without being told the only way there project will amount to anything is to use SPI. I've always used like products start to finish. One companys primer, color, clear. No matter what company. I follow threre instruction sheet to the letter. As for sanding epoxy, I always wet sand. All epoxy are hard to sand, it's the nature of the beast. I will admit there are certain people on this site and other sites that are known for just starting trouble. We all know who they are. They are not that we'll liked. But in most cases it's the old saying, the enemie of my enemie is my freind. They get just enough people to agree with them to make it look like they are in the right. There was nothing wrong in what I tried to accomplish. Others have agreed. If you like the way this forum is now, so be it. don't ask me to respond to this subject again, I'm not going to, I've said all I'm going to say.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
All epoxy are hard to sand, it's the nature of the beast.
This is where your wrong...
Let me say this and only this... And I'm not pushing SPI on you are any one,,BUT !!!! I will say this about it,, I have use a lot of Epoxy primers and Yes they was so hard to sand it was un-real..

But I have had SPI Epoxy primer on my C-cab for about a year now,,, And One of my friends came over the other day and asked about the SPI primer's and how hard was it to sand,,, I said WELL !!!! Let's see !!!! And I said here's the sand paper go at it... Next day he ordered some...WOW !!! He said he has never seen one sand that good before... We was using a lot of DP90 at one time..... Now since he messed up my nice job I done priming it...

I felt I needed to block the rest,,, Took me about 15 mins to block the whole Body.... Before you say ALL Epoxy primers are hard to sand... I think you need to use all primers before saying that... You would be very surprised at just how well it sands,,

It's one of the biggest reason I'm hooked on it.. Spray some DP90 and try to sand it...

AGAIN !!! not trying to push SPI primer's,, Just stating the REAL fact's about it... Everyone is able to use anything they want too..

And here's the body ..Just so you don't think I was making this up..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_8938.JPG
Views:	1047
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	74926  

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 06-15-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I don't know why it is so important that so many take offence to the idea of getting paint comments into a separate forum so people are not afraid to post questions without being told the only way there project will amount to anything is to use SPI.
What the **** how does a separate forum fix ANY of that?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
Hello porchdog/shine your tests just confirmed what I tested New Jersey 65 to 70 brushed Georgia 85 sprayed 18 hours later a little bit came off. Not a big deal. My question to you as you know I'm working on 55. I went to try five site. There was a thread where you stated " I guess everybody heard that this epoxy came off with lacquer thinner 'One guy responded I did not see that thread. The question was not answered.and then a bunch more posts some reference to some people stay in Motel 6.it seems that this is your favorite topic of conversation. Well anyway just an observation on my part. PS my wife forces me to stay at Holiday inn against my will.
pat , you really need to read the threads a little closer. i disagreed with your test . you claimed it washed off to bare metal . i performed a test on a spray out panel which is more realistic and posted it . nowhere in that thread was motel6 mentioned nor were you mentioned. you may also notice there were not posters slamming spi or the ones who use it. that seems to be a hr.com thing.
i had not posted here in over a year . YOU brought me into this with your post . i simply disagreed with your test there . but you had to make it personal. it's very simple , call me out and i will show up . you quote me or use my name in a post i will respond.
as for the 3 whinners in this thread , why did you even bother to post ? you added nothing . your post were simply mean to start something . especially you buick kustoms. your post had nothing to do with spi and you know it.
this thread was beneficial until yall showed up .
Old 06-16-2013, 06:24 AM

Last photo:

Hello shine,good morning and happy Father's Day to all.my reading comprehension may not be the best. I'm getting confused because this conversation is on 2 boards. you posted it on 6 /12/13 on the Trifive board.I'll be to first to agree that your product is excellent, there are many excellent products out there. They don't get the press they might deserve.I am somewhat confused about the window. Is the body filler window longer than the recoat window?As you know in the paint business if you improve a product you lose something on the other end.From what I read your product sands nicely What have you lost on the other end? Well anyway I think with all your skill maybe you could teach some of us some techniques for instance, where's a good place to start your paint job, where you start spraying first,is it better to do one panel at a time things along that line. We seem to forget that their younger people out there who would love to learn how to paint.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

After reading all of this and thinking about things for a while, I have come to realize that some people are going to argue and disagree about everything possible. If you have a product or product line that you like then use it. I have my preferences that work for me at my shop, and my customers are happy with the immediate and long term results. That is good enough proof for me. I work on a wide variety of vehicles from frame off high end builds, to collision/production. I stand behind my work, If there is a problem that stemmed from workmanship or product failure then I will fix the problem, no matter what the car is worth. My reputation and lively hood is on the line everytime I send a car out the door. With that being said I use the products I feel are the best available. My families well being depends on customer satisfaction, that is all we really have to offer is customer satisfaction. If you and you customers are happy with your product then keep using it. However, if you are not willing to try a new product then your business may be short lived. Just think how many of us would be in business if we were all still spraying Acrylic Enamel and Laquer..........

I don't claim to know much, but I do this everyday and I am more than willing to offer my best advise and help anyone that I can. If I don't know the answer I will try to find someone who does.

I would like to publicly thank everyone on this forum that has offered advise and help to me since I have been here. I have learned a lot of useful things here and hope others have as well.

Best of luck to everyone and Happy Father's Day
Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
After reading all of this and thinking about things for a while, I have come to realize that some people are going to argue and disagree about everything possible. If you have a product or product line that you like then use it. I have my preferences that work for me at my shop, and my customers are happy with the immediate and long term results. That is good enough proof for me. I work on a wide variety of vehicles from frame off high end builds, to collision/production. I stand behind my work, If there is a problem that stemmed from workmanship or product failure then I will fix the problem, no matter what the car is worth. My reputation and lively hood is on the line everytime I send a car out the door. With that being said I use the products I feel are the best available. My families well being depends on customer satisfaction, that is all we really have to offer is customer satisfaction. If you and you customers are happy with your product then keep using it. However, if you are not willing to try a new product then your business may be short lived. Just think how many of us would be in business if we were all still spraying Acrylic Enamel and Laquer..........

I don't claim to know much, but I do this everyday and I am more than willing to offer my best advise and help anyone that I can. If I don't know the answer I will try to find someone who does.

I would like to publicly thank everyone on this forum that has offered advise and help to me since I have been here. I have learned a lot of useful things here and hope others have as well.

Best of luck to everyone and Happy Father's Day
Kelly
Well said Kelly, there may be some that are fanatical in either direction, they like one particular product or hate it...overall, I think and hope most people are realistic, willing to try new or different things just to see if there is something that they might be missing and all to often they do find that a method or product has the ability to better fill a need.

Keeping an open mind is key, paying attention to not the few that are passionately and perhaps driven with unfounded information in one direction or another, but to the ones that apply common sense and after some investigation, you trying it for yourself and forming your own opinion.

I personally have expressed view points on this forum that have been met with "who cares" or "your wasting Band Width", well, I care. If I feel that I need clarification on an idea or principal and if there are enough people that are prepared to offer their opinion, their idea and hopefully their logic then it does matter. If this, for whatever reason is offensive, boring or not worth reading, the ideal situation for those feeling that way would be to gracefully bow out and move on. I don't reply to every post on this forum, sometimes it's because I feel I don't have anything of value to offer, other times I'm not interested, either way it's my choice and I move on.

Best to you and your's Kelly on Father's Day.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (06-16-2013)
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.