Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

spi epoxy test

35K views 242 replies 28 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
i think this will be about the 5th time this has been done on this board over the years . when the bs gets deep someone does it.
this test panel was sanded with 80 grit and cleaned with solvent base cleaner.
shot 2 med wet coats with a 1.4 at noon yesterday .
80 degrees in my booth
after approx 18 hours of cure
scrubbed with lacquer thinner until rag dried

only some slight residue came off . look close and you'll see my finger prints so i was not being gentle .
now this should put this to rest for a few years again .

this test was done to help those who do not post but need correct info on products or are looking for help. please do not move it to the paint only sub forum . i do not use cheap 3rd line paints so i can offer no help there . that seems to be the main reason for the sub forum.

signed " one of the spi thugs "

Attachments

See less See more
#216 ·
the last post on this thread was a year ago so you had to search for it . spi has been talked about here for at least 15 years that i know of and i have yet to see a negative post . you obviously know nothing about paint or you would never have made such a ridiculous post.
those of us who do this for a living get a little tired of google warriors and wannabe's trashing otherwise good threads.

#219 · (Edited)
can you name at least 5 shops that can give me feedback on SPI products that they use to prime cars you got phone numbers? I need to talk to real people example I can go around and ask many shop owners in Tx about PPG products face to face and get feedback from them SPI is a different story at least here in TX I don't know of anybody in Houston using SPI in a shop environment

#224 ·
I'm a "shop environment" and use it everyday, have been for some time now. I stopped using PPG for anything but base when color matching is required. If I were trying to get an accurate review of a product, I would be more interested in what the "part-timers" and "weekend warriors" experiences are. They are more likely to abuse and misuse the products than a professional that uses similar products everyday. It is hands down the best products on the market for the refinishing. Everyone will have their opinions and some hate PPG, some hate DuPont etc. I can't think of one person that has ever used SPI have anything bad to say about the company or the products.

Kelly

#226 ·
You can call me too,10 yrs with SPI 38 yrs in the biz.
being I dont usually take anything anyone says as gospal either I suggest you buy a qt for 50 bucks and see for yourself because you really do sound like some punk idiot to those of us that know.
BTW,I know the owner as do most of us shop owners because he's a regular guy and will come to your shop any time theres a problem and I have never read or heard him tooting his own horn. so on top of being a punk idiot your also a bit of a story teller....if you cant back it up its just B.S.
:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

#227 ·
any professional in this business will hear of a product and then do a little research . then he will buy a qrt and test himself . this guy is just trolling to stir up some bs otherwise he would have not searched out an old thread just to pop off. he's no different than the other handful of trolls in this thread talking out their *** because they are not painters nor have they tried spi .
it's personal with them . think about it , you ever see them pissing and whining about ppg , dupont or any other product ? ignore them and they will go away . most of them have been called out for giving bs advice or just flat telling lies. i dont care what they use.a different product will not make up for their inexperience .

#228 ·
I'm a 'weekend warrior,' did a little paint and body school at the local tech school, but I've been using it since 2009, and I've sprayed out several gallons of it buy this point. I can't compare it to a whole lot else, but it's never blew up in my face. It does sand easy, so I like to spray two coats and lightly block to see where low spots are, and that's where I do additional bump work or fill.

Lots of shops doing very top of the line work are using it, as well as their clear (I've used it as well) which is what they're really known for, and limited selection of basecoats which are very high quality. I used their white basecoat over a dark blue to paint LeMans stripes and the white had complete coverage over the blue in 2 coats. Their black is a true black. Pigment grinds are very fine. I've used their 2k as well; it has minimal shrinkage and a higher mil build than other standard 2ks. In addition to all of this, the tech support is like nothing you've ever experienced before.

#231 ·
what is up with all these little kids in here hotrodders has change poster never use to get the middle finger when somebody ask a question. I know now why Pete no longer post here like he used to some of you are acting like I attacked you personally seems to me iam not going to get real feedback from guys who are fan boys of SPI. if anybody lives in Houston pm your number I want to see your working using this stuff first hand

#233 ·
I won't attack you for asking a question about anything, but in all fairness you're asking a pretty disingenuous question. There is stuff plastered all over the internet about all of their products. As mentioned previously it's been peer reviewed hundreds of times on the web. I haven't actually ever read anything bad about it. A bad product makes itself known.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#232 ·
you didn't come here for an opinion . you searched out a year old thread just to shoot your mouth off about spi and the owner. we've all heard it before. for the last 10 years or so guys like you show up making false claims or just stirring the pot. i know several painters in houston who use it and like it. but i'll be damned if i'll expose them to you .

#234 ·
I get it you are a fanboy fockoff I didn't make any false claims go and look at all the threads dating back around 2008 many guys who ask about which primer should I buy would result with one guy poping up screaming SPI SPI its the best I found that amusing anybody who was around at that time knows iam not making that up. No where did I bash the product you clown
I CAME HERE TO ASK A SIMPLE QUESTION INSTEAD I GET BASH BY *********

#237 ·
no I was not being a dick go and read my post

I ask about Spi where does it stand now in 2014
Did they fix the climate problems it had
anybody using this in TX need feedback
a joke about the owner coming in on every topic screaming SPI SPI is the best inside joke anybody who was around at that time would find that amusing. NO WHERE DID I BASH SPI PRIMERS
IAM DONE HERE FOCK ALL OF YOU

#241 ·
Good thing I'm not a Mod here,, With all this name calling your doing, You would have bought your self some time off from here...Make your point without all the stupidity...:nono:

Maybe one of the Mods will step in and fix this little problem..

#242 ·
Problem solved...thread closed.....I think all has been said what needs to be said

And...Mr Solo...you said you are done with us with a few choice words.....circumventing the language filter is against our rules, so we are done with you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.