Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   spi epoxy test (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/spi-epoxy-test-233835.html)

shine 06-11-2013 10:24 AM

spi epoxy test

4 Attachment(s)
i think this will be about the 5th time this has been done on this board over the years . when the bs gets deep someone does it.
this test panel was sanded with 80 grit and cleaned with solvent base cleaner.
shot 2 med wet coats with a 1.4 at noon yesterday .
80 degrees in my booth
after approx 18 hours of cure
scrubbed with lacquer thinner until rag dried

only some slight residue came off . look close and you'll see my finger prints so i was not being gentle .
now this should put this to rest for a few years again .

this test was done to help those who do not post but need correct info on products or are looking for help. please do not move it to the paint only sub forum . i do not use cheap 3rd line paints so i can offer no help there . that seems to be the main reason for the sub forum.

signed " one of the spi thugs "

MARTINSR 06-11-2013 11:08 AM

Thank you very much, what part number is the epoxy? I have never gotten any but plan on it and I see the three different colors and what not, so I want to be sure what I am getting.

Brian

shine 06-11-2013 11:15 AM

6620-4 is the black . there are only 3 . white/black/gray , qrts or gals.

69 widetrack 06-11-2013 11:17 AM

Apparently I missed the whole thread...and now I see a "paint" sub forum...(don't know why there needs to be a paint sub forum...but anyway).

Did I miss something that maybe I should know about? I've read between the lines and apparently a thread got tossed and all I've heard is that it may have something to do with...or the thread was SPI "cult" suggestive.

If somebody can fill me in...even a PM would be appreciated if this is that delicate a topic. The reason I ask is that I've become a fan of SPI products and any information regarding this product...I'm interested in.

Ray

shine 06-11-2013 11:20 AM

look in the dump . one of the stupidest threads i have seen here in the 10 years i've been here.

the sub forum ranks right up there with it . useless and just confuses people. i hate to inform them but it is body and paint. always has been .

MARTINSR 06-11-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shine (Post 1683826)
6620-4 is the black . there are only 3 . white/black/gray , qrts or gals.

Thanks, right on, will be getting mine soon.

Brian

69 widetrack 06-11-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shine (Post 1683831)
look in the dump . one of the stupidest threads i have seen here in the 10 years i've been here.

the sub forum ranks right up there with it . useless and just confuses people. i hate to inform them but it is body and paint. always has been .

Don't know how to check the dump but will try to figure it out. I agree with the paint and body staying paint and body...why, that's what it is, paint and body...it's not metal work, filler work, primer work, prep work and paint work. They are so dependent on each other they need to be in the same category or, as you mentioned, it'll just confuse everybody.

Ray

NEW INTERIORS 06-11-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1683841)
Don't know how to check the dump but will try to figure it out. I agree with the paint and body staying paint and body...why, that's what it is, paint and body...it's not metal work, filler work, primer work, prep work and paint work. They are so dependent on each other they need to be in the same category or, as you mentioned, it'll just confuse everybody.

Ray

Here you go Mr.Ray..http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/spi-...ml#post1682343

NEW INTERIORS 06-11-2013 11:55 AM

Hey Shine !!! Send me ALL that extra SPI primer you have, instead of wasteing it on these test..:D We know it work's already...:thumbup:

MARTINSR 06-11-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1683851)
Hey Shine !!! Send me ALL that extra SPI primer you have, instead of wasteing it on these test..:D We know it work's already...:thumbup:

REALLY! I can use some too, white and black please. :D

Brian

69 widetrack 06-11-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1683845)

Thanks for the link Randy...I read all of the posts several times and have come to one conclusion...some peoples computers must say "Fischer Price" on them instead of Dell, Apple or HP...LOL

Ray

jcclark 06-11-2013 01:48 PM

I use SPI epoxy exclusively, so don't get me wrong, but
I don't think weather lacquer thinner can disolve the surface
proves anything.
Wouldn't it hold the paint better if the top coat DID dissolve
into it a little?
If it's so hard that there can be no chemical bond, then only
the scratches hold the paint on? Is that better?
I just don't understand what all the fuss is over, it's
a moot point to me. I know it's good primer, I don't care
if it wipes off or not, it's covered with paint.:thumbup:

tech69 06-11-2013 11:49 PM

I'm sure it would absorb a base when applied wet on wet. more or less just showing you how strong the barrier is against water vapers/lock out. Impressive. I really wish Shine would have sprayed another brand or two at the same time to show comparisons. I'll be ordering a gallon for my Stang for final block when my lazy butt gets around to it.

dinger 06-12-2013 12:48 AM

I don't see much reason for the paint sub forum myself. As to the poster that originated the SPI thug term, he was called out, and didn't bother to substantiate his claims. As far as Barrys' products go, I don't recall one complaint about his stuff. Can't say that about most products. Barry has been an asset to this forum and he does have his fans. I don't know of any other owners of paint companies that you can call on the phone for help.

As far as the sub forum goes, if it turns out to be just a bunch of opinions about paint, it really has no technical merit and will probably die a slow quiet death.

Pats55 06-12-2013 05:46 AM

You do now. Here at Master coat, we answer the phones from 8 AM to 10 PM. I may no longer be the owner, but when the phone rings and they're not quick to pick it up, there will be hell to pay.The phone rang Christmas morning ,turned out to be a lady looking for free telephone. This is the only post I will make in regard to this topic. If you have a technical question I'll be most happy to answer it to the best of my ability