Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

spi torture test

4K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  gearheadslife 
#1 ·
#7 ·
I don't have time to watch it but I will tonight. Thanks for posting this Shine. I am a BIG BELIEVER in abuse tests to show the limits of products, it's always educational.

Brian

#10 ·
I have really been impressed with the adhesion I have with the SPI epoxy on my floor boards. Where I have ground the plug welds in the primered floor pans it acts like it is part of the metal. Really good stuff. I believe the video bears out what I have found.

John

#12 ·
Those of us that have been using it for years already knew this. SPI is the best dang epoxy primer out there.. We've been telling everybody this for years.
HOLY CRAP...Ospho really works ????? Now if it removed rust that would really be something...

I just wish he went one step further and did one without rinsing the ospho and just sanding and W&G,to see if he gets the same results I do...
Yesterday I came across a pic of one of my own tests where I not only used ospho (without rinsing,just sanding) but put spi epoxys' build qualities to the test by only sanding the bondo with 36 grit and spraying 8 heavy ,wet coats (1 coat an hour) it filled them fine. and sanded easily THAT was the day I swore I'd never use another primer over my metal...

#14 ·
Thats right, but he just let the ospho dry then primed without rinsing or sanding or any kind of prep at all, thats a sure fire fail...
What I'm saying and have been saying all along is I get the same results without rinsing...As a matter of fact in the 35 yrs of using Ospho I've NEVER rinsed with water, I have a problem getting water anywhere near bare metal , I just sand with 80 then 180 and sometimes to 320. then wax and grease remover. There's a choice (both ways work) you can reapply the ospho and rinse with water , or just sand ,keeping everything dry.. I also sand the epoxy before any filler goes on. also a choice. again both ways work unless you wait to long then bondo wont stick so well to cured epoxy it needs to be sanded first.
What was surprising was that the epoxy stuck as well to unsanded metal as it did to sanded metal, I would have thought sanded would be much better, I think I'll stick too sanding first.

#17 ·
Are you trying to say there's some rule here that wont allow us to point out any good products that work to our fellow members here? I'd never consider endorsing a product I had any connection to, but I see no reason not to give the members anything I can that might make their hobby easier, or better.
I'd hardly consider this post a sales pitch.

#19 ·
The resident nattering nabob of negativity has weighed in I see. There is no rule that someone can not relate information about a product or method that works for them. That is what we do here is to help each other with issues relating to the cars.

And the individual doing the nattering is not a mod...

Sam

#20 ·
I remember the big fights over this, funny now. I also remember the two schools of thinking prim then filler or filler then prim. I seem to remember that test too. I do know if you don't sand it right before filling or priming it will fail. Its great stuff if your going to let is set and get back to it in a few months. SPl look like some good stuff but its all about adhesion right So if you forgot to wipe down before priming I guess you would have the same out come. I 've done the bend test on cheap stuff to you can get the same results. thumbup: Quality is a test over time how well a product lasts not the price on the can.

Craig

#22 ·
funn, if a rep form ppg or DuPont posted a thread like this it be deleted in a heart beat,, but the o/p that even prides himself as a "spi thug" can do mini info merchals,

simple fact is, others that have done the same "type" posting have had them deleted, edited,etc.. and reported BY the SPI THUG..

DAD spend two days learning how to post photo's and up load them to his computer and imageshack.. Then wrote a very long detailed post on how to pick and file ,how to lead, and other options, and then get to the sealer coat.. it did list DuPont part # for those products along with the type/brand files and picks, lead/etc.. and shocking it was gone in under two days.. I don't think it made it 36 hours..

biased much..

#23 ·
So "DAD" got his thread deleted for whatever reason, and that's what really chafes your rear huh? I should have guessed there was some ulterior motive to your attack, beyond just trying to be a "policeman" on the forum. Keep up the good work, and maybe you'll get an honorary badge or gold star!

#24 ·
First off the OP 'Shine" didn't make the vid. he just copy and pasted it....
Shine is not a rep, hes a shop owner as am I...The difference is reps cant be trusted to tell the truth. shop owners and tradesmens opinions are the only ones that matter, because they actually know whats what..and have no reason to lie about it.
Theres also been a few retired reps from other companies like PPG that didn't know about SPI and tried it ,They've all been impressed agree its the best.
What epoxy are you using and recommend ? Have you tried SPI ?
Don't you want to use the best materials available.

If you take any amount of time to make a post with vids and pics and it was deleted because of advertising issues ,it'll be printed right there telling you why it was deleted ...I too have had posts with vids and pics disappear and had to repost them ...its a good idea to save them on a USB so reposting is easier and faster...You should repost those vids of your dads, they sound interesting.

#25 ·
same can be said for a shop that gets product for an unlisted price,, been around autobody shops for years,, as dad was always working at one, until he got to 56, then went to doing the older cars only..
so, please, knock off the, "reps" can't be trusted but a shop can..
my dads post, detailed the art of pick and file, something most here don't know how to do, he didn't link his supplier, or any links to product sites, etc.. only the part #'s he used on that car, shown in the thread.. it happened to be DuPont, another car it could've been nason or ppg or,basf/etc.. as he doesn't like some companies products, for every job..
ya, it chaft my butt, as I took the time to teach him how to do the photo thing, add text to them/etc.. only to see it on the forum.. and then dumped.. thought it was odd, so reposted, and it again went awol..

#27 ·
i have owned the same shop under the same name for close to 40 years . never sold paint in my life nor do i intend to . i have and will post about any product i test or use and dont really give a damn if you like it or not jr . you are not a tradesman and your opinion is mute .
this video has been posted on multiple sites . the guy went out of his way to test it before using it on a friends car .
as for the spi thug thing it is in response to mouthy little trolls on here that the mods do nothing about . and yes i am a mod on a couple of sites . but we are not seen. i promise if you show up on either of them acting like a little brat we would ban you without question or explanation.

#28 ·
i have owned the same shop under the same name for close to 40 years . never sold paint in my life nor do i intend to . i have and will post about any product i test or use and dont really give a damn if you like it or not jr . you are not a tradesman and your opinion is mute .
this video has been posted on multiple sites . the guy went out of his way to test it before using it on a friends car .
as for the spi thug thing it is in response to mouthy little trolls on here that the mods do nothing about . and yes i am a mod on a couple of sites . but we are not seen. i promise if you show up on either of them acting like a little brat we would ban you without question or explanation.
so you're a mod on the HAMM..

highlighted part says it all..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.