spi universal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

spi universal

what guns are you spraying this clear with? anyone using sata 2000 hvlp 1.3? fixing to spray some this week!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Use a 1.4 tip as that tip works better...Lay it out wet and slick like you want the finished product to work..Believe it or not if you can get well practiced with the SPI you may not need to buff to have a presentable job..

Sam
Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I was a bit disappointed when I tryed spraying it out of my new SATA 1.3luckily I was just doing a hood but I had to go so slow I'd never be able to do a whole car with it. I use an Iwata with a 1.4 and get great results at my proper speed.However the 1.3 Sata is a much better base gun and it sprays any reduced 4:1:1 type clears pretty well ..Spi clears are about all I ever use
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I was a bit disappointed when I tryed spraying it out of my new SATA 1.3luckily I was just doing a hood but I had to go so slow I'd never be able to do a whole car with it. I use an Iwata with a 1.4 and get great results at my proper speed.However the 1.3 Sata is a much better base gun and it sprays any reduced 4:1:1 type clears pretty well ..Spi clears are about all I ever use
Mike, would it hurt to reduce it a little more in order to shoot with a 1.3? Santa is bringing me a Finishline4 that will come with a 1.3, 1.5, 1.8 and 2.2. From everything I read the 1.3 is just a tad small for the high solid clears but I am concerned the 1.5 will be a little big. It is too soon for me to waste Barry's time since I am not close to shooting any at this time but I am interested. I have always used Binks7 type guns so the HVLP is new to me as I am sure it is to some of the other home builders on here.

I hope the OP feels this goes along with his question.

John L
Old 12-21-2012, 06:08 AM

John,If you were a production shop I'd say sure just reduce it about 10% but I know what your looking for and something about reducing it just goes against my grain .I'd try the 1.5 and try dialing the gun down first.I've never used a 1.5 so I cant tell you for sure. I can tell you this though,lately (since my Iwata 1.4 is down ) I've been using Barrys Euro clear with a 4:1:1 out of my Sata 1.3 and its working beautifully...I just finished a big 4 dr truck (black)without a single run ,and its slick as glass...It figures too because I was waiting or my new gun to come and couldnt wait any longerI finished the truck at 3:30 and 4:15 my supply man called and said he had something for me and he'll bring it by in the morning. (my new gun)
Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I just reduce it a little and add one more coat if I want to sand and buff. Try the production clear you'll like it.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvalcon View Post
I just reduce it a little and add one more coat if I want to sand and buff. Try the production clear you'll like it.
I've heard you say some good things about his production clear but I've never used it,after hearing how you liked it I was going to get some but my supply guy was out of it so I went with the Euro clear, have you tried any of his other clears?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,066 Posts
I am sure all of this is on Barry's forum and I am embarrassed to say I have not spent a lot of time there yet. It would be cool if he would take a few minutes to explain the benefits of each of the clears as well as the techniques for using them. As most of you know I am not a professional but have done all my own metal work and paint for 40+ years.

The thing that has always made me a little different from my friends is I love the technology involved and am always thirsty for advise from those that know more than I do. All my buddies thought I was crazy when I painted my car with catalyzed acrylic enamel in 1977 instead of lacquer. That car is finally going into the shop this winter to have it's first repaint. 35 years ain't bad.

Someone once said you don't learn while you are talking. The secret is knowing who to listen to for advise. I generally read any post by Mike(deadbodyman), Ray(69widetrack), or Brian(MartinSR). Swvalcon and others on here also have a wealth of knowledge. The key is figuring out who to listen to and who is of the "I always did it this way and don't want to change" mind set. With government regulation and changes in technology not only do the products continue to change but so does the equipment. None of us will ever know it all because just about the time we learn it, it changes.

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I've tryed his euro clear and didn't care for it that much.I just did a jeep hood in his production and its getting cold here. Seemed a little soft the next day so sanded and am giving it another day to dry before I buff it.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:08 AM

Yeah I have the same problem down here ,I just did a big 4 dr truck (black) with the Euro clear and its still to soft so I'll let it sit a few days too..One thing I noticed is the Euro cler while sanding and buffing isnt that hard it dosent buff near as well as the universal clearBut its more controlable as far as dry times go by using faster reducers you can get it to dry prety quick if you want too but theres still not much you can do when it gets cold but wait.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.