Hot Rod Forum banner

SPI Universal clear....WOW

29K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  shine 
#1 ·
First time spraying the SPI clear on a 54 Eldorado and I must say its everything I have heard it was if not more. I have always used concept 2021 clear and this stuff is not even comparible. Very IMPRESSED!!!

#28 ·
Boy this is areal old thread that has been dug up. As a matter of fact, that white caddy project in the pics went on hold right after I sprayed it and has been in storage ever since. Still has to be cut and buffed, being SPI clear should not even be a problem, 4 years or so later (will probably be even longer). Even the 55 chevy is still sitting unfinished, after I finished all that I had to do to it.

#29 ·
I've been custom painting for 50 years now. First car was in high school. I started painting for others in '73, then went full time in '86. I have used all of the major brands, but would try to stick with a system that worked until it eventually was reformulated, and became a problem.

I started with the SPI clear about a year ago, and I have a few things I appreciate about it.

Hard to run.
high build, so fewer coats. (I sand and buff every job.)
Shorter flash time between coats.
No gas bubbles between layers.
No solvent pop craters ("fish pops") as some new clears have.
Compatible with different color coats.
Easy to sand and buff.
The cost is very good for a quality paint.

Negative things: I haven't found any yet. LOL!
I suppose it would be nice if it was sold locally... for emergencies.. but I won't switch unless the formula is changed.

Attachments

#30 ·
You do have to appreciate the free shipping as well as the fact that it almost always ships same day as ordered. I ordered a gallon of Epoxy from Barry at 3:00 pm and it was at my door step by noon the next day. Of course, I am only 100 miles from Blairsville but that is still great service.

John

#32 ·
I am not following your point. Are you speaking in favor of the SPI clear?

For an equal ready to spray amount...

SPI costs me $250...

and the R-M's DC92 was costing me $400. I didn't mind the cost, as the performance had been everything I could dream of!

After about 15 years of using the R-M, I would have stayed with it, but it suddenly it was creating major problems for me. They denied they had changed the formula... despite the fact that the dealer gave me instructions for use that were nowhere near what they used to be... and I eventually found out from another manufacturer what had happened!

SPI manufactures for a different market, so I expect it to stay reliable! :)

#34 ·
I also used PPG for about 10 years. I gave it up for R-M. Before PPG, it was Dupont for a couple decades. :)~

Today I use a mix of many brands I discovered over the last 10-15 years. I learned how to use them together, and they proved reliable..... until the clear reformulation debacle. {:-(

Now I seem to be back on track. :)~ It's a good thing since I guarantee my work for as long as you own it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.